Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How bad does my heater core look
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Long story short, my grandma is awesome. Gave me her 83 westy with 114k miles right after getting a 4.5k paint job. She is funding the 'essential' parts to restore it.
Anyhow here she goes:
Replacing blower motor(never worked for me>
Windshield wiper motor
Both windshield wiper shafts
Jeep resistor with 4 speed switch
Some sound deadner

But not the heater core! I know the haters are going to come out, but an oem one from van cafe is $150. I really don't want to put any unnecessary costs on my grandma. I have one more semester of college and I'll be graduating and getting my bachelor's in Computer Science. A year from now I hope to replace the heater core along with brake booster and slaves.

Anyhow, how bad does this look? I don't even know if it works. Is there a way to test it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Hey, you've got an awesome Grandma. Cool Cool Very cool.

The only thing I think that matters is, Was it leaking?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Hey, you've got an awesome Grandma. Cool Cool Very cool.

The only thing I think that matters is, Was it leaking?

Thanks! But no it was not leaking when I pulled it.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Whether it was leaking or not, if you've got the thing out and in your hands, i would replace it. As you know, it's a job to get it out and IMHO one of the "might as well" if you're that far in there.

My 85 Westy had a really well maintained cooling system & on a low mile van. It sat for some time and as I started to use it regularly, I had to replace both the front and rear within the first 4 years. Just a little bit of weeping that caused fogging when starting out in the morning.

Of course, if you don't mind getting in there, replace it when it fails.....
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Yes there is a way to test it.
That would be a pressure test.
You know what happens when the engine overheats and you've got steam blowing out of the radiator because of low coolant causing the engine to overheat-that steam is a lot of pressure.
That steam will burn you. Fortunately the heat exchanger is enclosed inside the heater housing so the chances of that happening is practically zero-you've never heard of anyone getting burned by a heater core!
But that pressure is why you get it tested. the pressure cap on a radiator is designed to vent pressure at 15psi I think (somebody can chastise me if I'm wrong.) The heater core and radiator has to withstand more than 15psi so that the weak point is the radiator cap and it vents before the radiator or the heater core ruptures from the pressure.

I would be concerned about the powdery looking corrosion shown in your pictures. That is a sign of something not right.
The question is the source of that moisture to cause that.
If there was any of that powdery white corrosion on the ends of the heater core between the plastic and the aluminum where the seals are I would change it.

A pressure test would show if the seals are going bad.
A radiator shop can do the test.

$145.00 at Van-Cafe.com

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

This blackening of the fins is a concern of why it is there and exactly what it is.

There is a product used to clean evaporator cores. There are a few different vendors of the same product.

Do a search for "Evap Foam No Rinse", mfg. is Nu-Calgon, product number 4171-75.
it is a spray can of a mild acid that will clean the aluminum.

Try very hard not to bend any of the fins when you are handling the core

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Here is another alternative.
However, when ever you buy anything used the condition is always in question and you have to check it just like the parts you have that you are questioning.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2067171

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

it's in your hands....replace it. it's 100 years old. I just rebuilt my rabbit truck top to bottom. I replaced the old heater core just because. these tend to block up over time from junk in the cooling system.

I have heat by the end of my driveway now. just do it. you'll be glad you did. buy a behr or valeo if you can. no china junk. I wouldn't waste a minute trying to clean it....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

people say it's a pain in the butt job, and most of them haven't replaced a heater core from a more modern VW..

the vanagon dash while a pain comes out in about 2hours (less once you get used to it). you are younger than you are rich. I say clean it, put it back in and all will be fine.. replace it again in a year.. put that $150 towards brakes/fuel pump/coolant items that will leave you stranded or unsafe.

but, do yourself a favor and put some 1/4" hardware cloth sandwiched between the heater box and the 2 holes that it mounts to. keep the heater core from becoming a mouse habit trail. because even if you put a new one in. nothing is worse than mouse pee on a heater core.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

the pic of your flaps sealing are a little fuzzy. It's important to use the right foam for a good seal. I went with a truck bed to camper shell foam tape. Just a thought. Lucky you to have such a great grandma. Tough call on replace core or not. I just rinsed mine out and put it back in and am hoping it lasts.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I replaced the old heater core just because. these tend to block up over time from junk in the cooling system.

Put a garden hose on one of the pipes and see how much water comes out the other pipe. If you have good steady flow it is not blocked up.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Fill it with water, Put a rubber stopper firmly on one pipe, then rig up a garden hose to the other. 30 feet of water pressure up,in the air is about 1 ATM pressure, if it holds that Put it back in.

If you dry it in the sun for a day before, any seep will show up well.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Hmm, surprising ol' Terry Kowabungowski or whatever isn't here flogging his gold-plated heater cores.

There's an old joke where the guy calls his lawyer's office and asks to speak with him, but is told that his lawyer is dead.

He calls again the next day. Same question, same polite reply.

He calls again every day for three weeks running, with the same short conversation each time.

A day comes when he calls once more and asks for his lawyer. The receptionist finally loses patience and yells at him, "Mister, for the twentieth time, your lawyer is dead!"

He says, "I know, I just love hearing you say it."

Come on, folks, who wants to give me that pleasure?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

I'll give you 2nd best.
He is BANNED

How are you feelin ten cent.
Long time no see
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Btw;

If you want, you can ask me again tomorrow. Wink
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Also, that heater core has the clean area on it because there's a plate that goes over that.
gonna see life my way

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I'll give you 2nd best.
He is BANNED

How are you feelin ten cent.
Long time no see

Naw, man, that's as good as it gets, THANKS Levi!! I'm glad it was you, one of the solid oldtimers, who granted my wish. God damn it's about fracking time, que no? Maybe I'll call back tomorrow, cuz y'know, once is not enough...

Feeling good, thanks, I bet you are too, you got your home back!! Some good changes in the works here I'm real excited about, I'll be telling y'all about it pretty soon, now I gotta get to work and make it happen.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

If you leave the baffle plate out you will get more air flow and the exterior of the core will be less apt to clog with dog hairs and other nasties.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Put a garden hose on one of the pipes and see how much water comes out the other pipe. If you have good steady flow it is not blocked up.

not true at all...

you will still have good flow if the bottom 2 inches are plugged solid with sediment. to each their own....having done this kind of work for 30+ years, I can tell you I personally wouldn't do it. any time I have the dash that far down it gets a new core and evaporator....unless it was done within the last couple of years. 150.00 now, or 6 hours of your life later....guess you have to decide what your time is worth....

think of it this way....people replace radiators for the same reason....it may look good, but your cooling sucks. this is nothing more than a small radiator...with even smaller passages inside.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

not true at all...

you will still have good flow if the bottom 2 inches are plugged solid with sediment.

Your right. I've been looking at a different type of heater core all week and when I close my eyes I still see it! Embarassed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: