Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

reassembling pedals - brake return spring - 74 coupe
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: reassembling pedals - brake return spring - 74 coupe Reply with quote

1974 KG Coupe - Can't figure out how to reassemble pedals - specifically the brake return spring.

Disassembled the cluster. cleaned, blasted, repainted. Added an X-CELERATOR “Speed Wheel” and clutch pedal extender both from Classic Bug parts but neither of those should have changed the brake pedal operation.

Does anyone have a good photo of the proper routing of the brake return spring? I've searched the threads but none have the picture I need….

I'm sure I am doing something wrong. As per SOP.
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: reassembling pedals - brake return spring - 74 coupe Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403875
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: reassembling pedals - brake return spring - 74 coupe Reply with quote

Hi. What I have done for decades is to bolt the pedal cluster to the pan with the spring not engaged onto the brake pedal. I assure the flat part of the spring is always facing the floor/pan. You have other factors involved here such as clutch pedal/cable orientation etc. Once you have the pedal assy bolted to the pan you should verify both pedals are upright. The brake pedal return spring is kinda tricky here to hook up to the pedal. I have an old cheapo 8" screwdriver which I cut a "V" into the screwdrivers flat in order to capture the end of the hook and push the end upwards towards the brake pedal specific groove for this spring. It takes a couple/few attempts but it works. I know of guys who used/modified a cotter pin remover tool for this also.
Hope this helps you, Bill
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: reassembling pedals - brake return spring - 74 coupe Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I now see what was confusing me. Uninstalled, the flat part of the brake return spring sits rearward (as seen in the car). Every photo showed it pointing rearward. Because its sitting on a bench. However, when installed the flat part points forward (as seen in the car). That makes sense.

Don't tell anyone I have an engineering degree.

Thanks again, Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: