Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 or 57?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

So is this type 1 a 56 or a 57 model? The chassis number is 1262071 (Aug. 56) and the body number is 287675 (July 56). I might mention that the floor heater vents are all the way forward close to the front of the floorboard not back close to the front door pillar. The original owner is still alive and says it was sold to him by the dealer as a 57 model, in December of 1956. Not that it probably makes much difference, but it has always been titled as a 57.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

I would say '57, especially since that is almost the end of August, 1956.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would say '57, especially since that is almost the end of August, 1956.

That was my feeling also until the subject of the heater vent placement came up. I have been lead to believe that there were never any 57's with forward vent placements, but I might be misinformed.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

This is not something I know but I looked in the VW dealer book Progressive Refinements and I think this is the change, in December, 1956?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If this is it, there would be a few months of the 1957 models with the previous heater design. August -> December 19th, 1956
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This is not something I know but I looked in the VW dealer book Progressive Refinements and I think this is the change, in December, 1956?

If this is it, there would be a few months of the 1957 models with the previous heater design. August -> December 19th, 1956

That is very interesting. So it would appear that this car is a very early '57 model with forward heater vents. Thanks!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

My 3/57 has the forward vents. It is a vert.
ScottyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

BillingsDave wrote:
EverettB wrote:

That is very interesting. So it would appear that this car is a very early '57 model with forward heater vents. Thanks!

My early '57 (Sep '56) is like this ... vents are forward
60 Beetle OG Survivor
84 DOKA 2WD Road-Tripper!
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

My Dec 56(57 model year) is heater vents forward.

Jeremy
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 or 57? Reply with quote

My body is made in 7/55, the car 4. August 55.
The body got the number when it was produced, the VIN was stamped when the chassi entered the production Line. The VIN decide year model.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: