Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Random rewiring question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

Hello I have a random question about rewiring a bus. If I was to pull out the interior of the camper anyways to replace it; would it be beneficial to run the wires in a conduit along the driver side where the wall meets the floor right along the edge and through the exterior wall that is under the rear seat or through the top of the engine compartment and down to the engine and lights? I'm also thinking about putting an access hatch over the fuel pump  anyways and I would like to keep my hot start fuse on the inside  of the vehicle rather than bolted to the bottom and I was thinking about  keeping that under the seat  as well. I know it's not how the vehicle is set up and I'm pretty sure that I would have to modify the new harness for the extra distance it would have to travel but would this be beneficial in any way whether it be easier to access or protecting the wires from corroding or even a time-saving method? Or would this do the opposite and cause some sort of hazzard or be a totally useless modification?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

Why? There is perfectly good tube under the bus for the wiring. Prior to the drivers wheel well how are you getting the wiring to that point?

Having the access hole for the sender is a good thing, it is how the dealer did it.

Are you blowing the hot start fuse? Having it under the rear seat is fine, make sure the wires pass through a grommet. I prefer a Ford style starter solenoid instead of a fuse or relay, better kick of juice. Most hot start relays and fuse kits have wimpy 14 gauge wire, even seen 16 gauge, hot would be a good word for it. I use 10 gauge even 8 gauge wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

I was going to run it up the flooring either on the drivers side of the middle isle or to the left of the drivers seat under a rubber cover and through the wall behind the drivers seat only keeping it exposed once it got to the engine compartment or to the starter depending on where the wires are supposed to be going. No I haven't blown the hot start fuse, I wanted to protect the switch especially since I'd be driving it on winter and the roads are salted here. I also have a fuel pump relay that i would like to wire in at a protected point. My starter relay is http://www.busdepot.com/wr1
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

Well that is a lot of work, the corrosion is only going to happen at the termination point, even run under the bus the wire is cased and the bundles have weather proof sheathing, so inside or outside the ends are the vulnerable part not the center.

Those Bus Depot repays work, I just like a little more wire gauge meat to and from the 30/87 terminals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

16989473 wrote:
I'd be driving it on winter and the roads are salted here

Don't do it, buy a Honda for the winter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Random rewiring question Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
16989473 wrote:
I'd be driving it on winter and the roads are salted here

Don't do it, buy a Honda for the winter!

Hehe, well my daily is a saturn, it's not a Honda and it can be light for traction but so far its been good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: