Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soundproofing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Soundproofing Reply with quote

We're about to go on our maiden voyage in the "Whitehouse." Laughing

I've read a ton, like way too much, about soundproofing. I have a tiico conversion and it gets really loud at any speed over 60. I thought I was going to blow up the engine but was told tiicos actually have a higher redline than the wbx.

I was going to put fatmat over the engine compartment. Not ready yet to start pulling off body panels and what not. Not sure how much just covering the engine box will help?
Another question I have that I never saw answered on the other threads was- how would you remove the stuff if it turns out to be ineffective or deteriorates? I kind of like how pristine and original the van is, but think the sound issue trumps that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

All inline 4 cylinder engines vibrate with second-order vibration. The longer the stroke, the greater the vibration. Perhaps you could try:

1. Softer motor mounts like the ones carried by FAS: http://www.foreignautosupply.com/about-us/

2. Better gearing to lower highway RPMs:

http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/super-flier-ring-pinion/

3. Makes sure that no part of your engine or exhaust system is touching any part of the vanes body. The engine and exhaust system need to be 100% insulated from the body. Some folks add a brace from the exhaust system to the body and doing that causes noise and vibration transmission to the body.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
All inline 4 cylinder engines vibrate with second-order vibration. The longer the stroke, the greater the vibration. Perhaps you could try:

1. Softer motor mounts like the ones carried by FAS: http://www.foreignautosupply.com/about-us/

2. Better gearing to lower highway RPMs:

http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/super-flier-ring-pinion/

3. Makes sure that no part of your engine or exhaust system is touching any part of the vanes body. The engine and exhaust system need to be 100% insulated from the body. Some folks add a brace from the exhaust system to the body and doing that causes noise and vibration transmission to the body.

Thanks for the reply. I do not hear any metal on metal or vibration. It's just loud. That's also why I'm wondering if the fat mat will have any effect?

I did not see any engine mounts at the FAS site. I wanted to look and compare to what I have on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

I'm not sure what year, make, model you have? Like Howesight said keeping your exhaust mounted independently from the van is first.

I made a floor covering from some ribbed vinyl flooring runners and horse stall mat material 3/8 thick to level the valley's of the metal floor. This added maybe 80 lbs. and a significant amount of noise reduction. The same 3/8 rubber over the engine lid and under the rear carpet helps too. My biggest mistake, my van is a do all machine. I pulled all carpet and foam cork deadining and monstalined the whole floor, I've since built/added the rubber flooring but it doesn't compare to the original for quitenes.

What kind of exhaust are you using? Im using magnaflo, awesome but they also roar as the RPMs increase. The dynomax has some of the quietest exhausts available.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
I'm not sure what year, make, model you have? Like Howesight said keeping your exhaust mounted independently from the van is first.

I made a floor covering from some ribbed vinyl flooring runners and horse stall mat material 3/8 thick to level the valley's of the metal floor. This added maybe 80 lbs. and a significant amount of noise reduction. The same 3/8 rubber over the engine lid and under the rear carpet helps too. My biggest mistake, my van is a do all machine. I pulled all carpet and foam cork deadining and monstalined the whole floor, I've since built/added the rubber flooring but it doesn't compare to the original for quitenes.

What kind of exhaust are you using? Im using magnaflo, awesome but they also roar as the RPMs increase. The dynomax has some of the quietest exhausts available.

Did you glue the rubber mat down? There is that workshop floor puzzle mat at Home Depot. It' very light. I've returned to my yacht racing days- obsessing about every ounce. Figure any weight saving with these vehicles can't hurt.

Don't know how I would glue it down...

Not sure about my exhaust system, but for now..."if it ain't broke don't fix it" is my mantra...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

Did you glue the rubber mat down? There is that workshop floor puzzle mat at Home Depot. It' very light. I've returned to my yacht racing days- obsessing about every ounce. Figure any weight saving with these vehicles can't hurt.

I've got that in my 86 as the floor in the living room. Haven't glued it down yet and it's staying in place.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

Flip it over and tape the seams on the backside so it can be removed as a unit. Helps immensely when cleaning the interior, and if you trim it so it fits snugly it does not move and does not need to be glued down. I used B-Quiet on the metal surfaces in my Westy and it helps, but that stuff does add weight. Unavoidable.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

The Concorde flew faster then the speed of sound. So if the sound was behind it why was it so noisey inside the cabin?
The metal fuselage carried the vibration of the engines forward into the passenger cabin. Those 4 Olympus engines I'm pretty sure make less mechanical vibration then your diesel!
The engine noise from the diesel creates a noise that is reverberated into the metal around it and this also travels through the body.
So yes, FATMAT would help. I would also put it on the vertical wall of the storage under the rear seat because that is a big flat surface facing the engine and gearbox.
However, I prefer MLV,(mass loaded vinyl), but that is a thicker material.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

I've read a ton, like way too much, about soundproofing. I have a tiico conversion and it gets really loud at any speed over 60. I thought I was going to blow up the engine but was told tiicos actually have a higher redline than the wbx.

The redline is 6200, I believe.

Mine isn't loud or prone to vibration, but it did benefit from many previous installs by the same mechanic. He learned more about them than the Tiico crew did, evidently, from how to design an exhaust that will last to how to properly mount the whole thing. I wish there was some kind of network of shared information about these.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

Is there a consensus for which soundproofing material is currently (2017) the best? FatMat, DynaMat, or ??? Or are they all pretty much the same? Maybe there is one product recommended specifically for the engine compartments vs. interior panels?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

Not sure about my exhaust system, but for now..."if it ain't broke don't fix it" is my mantra...

I cut 2.25 strips and filled the valley's I then used rubber cement on the face of the strip and rolled out the ribbed flooring over it, u can remove it the flooring anytime.

I actually geeked out on this project. I laid down a broad ribbed strip, ribbed side down glued to the stall mat material. I then laid a full sheet of softer fine ribbed flooring on top of the stall mat. I can sweep, hose or vacuum. The ribs are oriented to allow flow of air and water out the door.

This floor is floating and can be removed easily, simply roll it up like a living room rug.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Is there a consensus for which soundproofing material is currently (2017) the best? FatMat, DynaMat, or ??? Or are they all pretty much the same? Maybe there is one product recommended specifically for the engine compartments vs. interior panels?

That one I tried yesterday doing a Google search for reviews and it turned up reviews from people selling "X-Brand" so they were all bias'd.

buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

I posted this before but I am continuing to be impressed.
Not plugging this guys products but you can read his theories and buy the materials wherever you want. I bought the 100# of vinyl on Amazon Prime.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Just doing the area over the engine was a dramatic difference.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

I cut 2.25 strips and filled the valley's I then used rubber cement on the face of the strip and rolled out the ribbed flooring over it, u can remove it the flooring anytime.

I actually geeked out on this project. I laid down a broad ribbed strip, ribbed side down glued to the stall mat material. I then laid a full sheet of softer fine ribbed flooring on top of the stall mat. I can sweep, hose or vacuum. The ribs are oriented to allow flow of air and water out the door.

This floor is floating and can be removed easily, simply roll it up like a living room rug.

Really appreciate the info you are offering. Do you happen to have any photos of this? Having a bit of a tough time following the verbal description
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

Soundproofing. I note that the interior of the van is full of "bright" surfaces--and surfaces that produce all the other sounds as well.

I see that this thread is fundamentally discussing the issue of engine noise. I hear that.

But the interior of your van is full of contributors to this noise.

Let's approach this problem from another angle--materials. Have a look at the interior of any modern car. What you see is a soft headliner, soft carpet, soft door cards, soft seats. Okay, not always, but mostly.

Look in your Vanagon. Lots of hard glass--more than most cars. Lots of exposed sheet metal, or large sheet metal surfaces--more than most cars. Lots of flooring (the main area where the slider opens). These spaces really make soundproofing hard.

Yes, you've got to find the intake and wrangle that into a reasonable decibel. Yes, you've got to do the same for the exhaust. But you cannot ingnore the inherent design qualities of the Vanagon. You must convert door cards to include soft coverings--velour or otherwise. You need to put a soft dashpad on the dashboard. A carpet in the main cargo space. A soft ceiling material. Want a really quiet Westy? Deploy your curtains.

Large spans of sheet metal (door panels, ceiling panels, side panels) must be deadened with an adhesive backed material. Not a lot is needed--about 20% of the surface area only needs to be covered. Westy owners look under your sink for an example--there is a butyl backed sound deadener adhesive panel on there. The same approach can be taken for the front door panels, the ceiling cavity, the slider panel, the tailgate panel, and the side body panel behind the galley. Deadening these will remove their tendency to sound like a timpani drum in the face of any energy.

The more hard surfaces are converted to soft, the more subdued your road noise will be.

kourt
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Soundproofing Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

Really appreciate the info you are offering. Do you happen to have any photos of this? Having a bit of a tough time following the verbal description

Here you go...I'm embarrassed about my house keeping, it's been about fixing the broken since Solstice!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I started with this ribbed down against the floor laid in the valley's of the floor

I then rubber cemented this to the ribbed strip in the valley's

then rubber cemented this material ribbed up over the strips in the valley's

finished product, I can roll it up and remove after sill plate is removed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: