Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Wood Panel Templates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Holy crap..... thank you SO MUCH ewdb92...........

I took my panels out and set them aside in a work area at my job to use as a pattern later, and someone threw them out. It's been years since that happened and I have been putting this off until I managed to find a good set to trace....

...until you posted those images with the measurements. THANK YOU!!!
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:

Hatch:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I should have looked this up yesterday, as I had to make this panel without a template. It came out pretty good though. I’d like to ad that there is a latch behind the panel to open hatch from the inside. I believe I measured 23 1/2” from the edge of the panel and cut a triangle from there to access the latch.

As seen here.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

StrictlyAaron wrote:
Thank you for the dimensions. This is the first time in 2 years of searching that ive seen dimensions. My question to ewdb92 is this.

On the rear roof section it shows the outside as 122cm.. the inside is 144.8cm to the dip? are these numbers reversed by chance. I dont see how its longer on the long side than it is in the middle.

Also on the bottom it shows 126.8 and the front portion is 109 is this meaning it tapers towards the front? or is that with the divot section as 109 plus 18.8 is 126.8 not sure if i reading this correct or not.. Thanks much for the work. Greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure there is a mistake on the inside\outside measurements. I'll check tomorrow. Good eye, thanks for letting me know.

I do recall that the panel tapers, but I'll check that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
StrictlyAaron wrote:
Thank you for the dimensions. This is the first time in 2 years of searching that ive seen dimensions. My question to ewdb92 is this.

On the rear roof section it shows the outside as 122cm.. the inside is 144.8cm to the dip? are these numbers reversed by chance. I dont see how its longer on the long side than it is in the middle.

Also on the bottom it shows 126.8 and the front portion is 109 is this meaning it tapers towards the front? or is that with the divot section as 109 plus 18.8 is 126.8 not sure if i reading this correct or not.. Thanks much for the work. Greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure there is a mistake on the inside\outside measurements. I'll check tomorrow. Good eye, thanks for letting me know.

There were indeed errors in that photo. Funny thing is, I threw away my drawings just two days ago, so I don't know when they got screwed up. There were soooooo many numbers to keep track of Embarassed

Anyway, I updated the photo in my original post and put the new one below. The correct inside length is 115cm, across the top (with the cutout) is 128.8cm and across the bottom (no cutout) is 126.8cm. So a slight taper from front to rear.

Thank you very much for pointing out my mistakes, it's the only way to fix them!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

tweakhx wrote:
Holy crap..... thank you SO MUCH ewdb92...........

I took my panels out and set them aside in a work area at my job to use as a pattern later, and someone threw them out. It's been years since that happened and I have been putting this off until I managed to find a good set to trace....

...until you posted those images with the measurements. THANK YOU!!!

Really glad they can help you out! Post pics when you're done!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Would be awesome if this could be added to the FAQ/stickies.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:

Hatch:

I should have looked this up yesterday, as I had to make this panel without a template. It came out pretty good though. I’d like to ad that there is a latch behind the panel to open hatch from the inside. I believe I measured 23 1/2” from the edge of the panel and cut a triangle from there to access the latch.

As seen here.

Nice addition! I cut the same notch on a panel I made in my early bus years. Boy was it useful! I thought a lot about adding it to this set, but ended up going with the original look. Oddly, I haven't missed it but am glad you posted the measurement - just in case I change my mind Very Happy
StrictlyAaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
StrictlyAaron wrote:

There were indeed errors in that photo. Funny thing is, I threw away my drawings just two days ago, so I don't know when they got screwed up. There were soooooo many numbers to keep track of Embarassed

Anyway, I updated the photo in my original post and put the new one below. The correct inside length is 115cm, across the top (with the cutout) is 128.8cm and across the bottom (no cutout) is 126.8cm. So a slight taper from front to rear.

Thank you very much for pointing out my mistakes, it's the only way to fix them!!

Thanks for all the hard work on this. You are helping out so many indeed. Ive googled this for years and havent found anything close to this amount of detail. I hope to be cutting some really soon.
StrictlyAaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Might anyone here have dimensions for a 1968-1970 sliding door panel

I realized this one is later.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

I think they're the same as the 71-79, no?

Skills and EWD, I'd like to add my thanks, as well. Using a combination of Skills overall measurements and EWDs finer measurements, I was able to cut a large cardboard template for mock-up. I only needed the front headliner over the cockpit but it worked. Using their info I cut the rear of the panel 52 1/4" tapering down to 49.5 (thanks Skills). The 52 1/4" allowed just enough room to push the rear of the panel up just barely clearing the J-rail and it popped right down in. Then, just using a small towel folded up for padding, I gently tapped it forward, one side at a time, with a rubber mallet until it was good. The rear of the panel hugs the bulkhead nicely with about 1/4" clearance on the sides between the bulkhead and inside of the panel. And it was flexible enough to simply pull down the middle to slide in my "ghetto" insulation which is nothing more than recycled synthetic cotton wrapped in plastic that is used for prepared meal packing/shipping (Blue Apron, etc.). Smile. All things considered, it turned out pretty good! Now, just need to remove the rear Birch healiner, radius cut it to match the front and re-install with the trim. Thanks again!

'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Are the measurements for the holes "from the edge of the panel" to the centre of the holes, or to the edge of the holes? I did them to the centre of the holes but the corner holes on the curved parts of the tailgate panel would not work if a 0.7cm diameter hole was cut with the 0.35cm radius to the edge, as indicated. You'd be left with a 0.15cm edge.

I thought it was to the centre of the holes because of the measurement of 25.5cm from the centre of the two centre holes. This is 2cm different from the total length of 27.6cm. This indicates that all of the holes should have a 0.7cm edge, not a 1cm edge.

Have I confused anyone yet? Help.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:

Are the measurements for the holes "from the edge of the panel" to the centre of the holes, or to the edge of the holes? I did them to the centre of the holes but the corner holes on the curved parts of the tailgate panel would not work if a 0.7cm diameter hole was cut with the 0.35cm radius to the edge, as indicated. You'd be left with a 0.15cm edge.

Hmmm… interesting questions. Let’s see if I can match any confusion you doled out Razz All the measurements run to the center of each hole, with the exception of the two lower corners. Those two didn’t line up with any others so I did the measurements from the projected edge. I managed to find my panel to confirm these measurements. Here is what I found about the two lower corner holes

Right side – hole center is 0.5 cm from edge
- The edge itself (edge to perimeter of hole) is thin, right about the 0.15cm you calculated

Left side – hole center is closer to 0.8 cm from edge
- The edge itself is 0.5 cm thick

I remember making the decision to treat each the same for sake of simplicity on the photo.

Quote:
I thought it was to the centre of the holes because of the measurement of 25.5cm from the centre of the two centre holes. This is 2cm different from the total length of 27.6cm. This indicates that all of the holes should have a 0.7cm edge, not a 1cm edge.

The 25.5 and 27.6 cm are correct for my panel. 25.5 cm from center to center of holes leaves each hole center 1 cm from edge, which is what the upper left label says in the photo. I’m not sure where the 0.7 cm edge distance you’re talking about came from, but that is the diameter of the holes as labeled on the picture. The edge to perimeter of hole measurement is ~0.6 cm.

In my experience, no two panels are exactly the same. My eyes suck, so be flexible with measurements - especially if it comes to 0.7 and 0.8 cm type distances.

Hope this helps!!
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ah that's clarified everything for me. Thanks for taking the time Erik, I'll crack on with it now!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:
Ah that's clarified everything for me. Thanks for taking the time Erik, I'll crack on with it now!

Great! Good Luck
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Well I've measured up most the panels now and I just have a couple of questions and I noticed some mistakes in the blueprints.

Did you measure up the panel that goes next to the other rear wheel arch? And the two strips that go underneath the rear side windows?

These are the mistakes I noticed with the blueprints:

1. On the long side piece, the hole for the outlet has a dimension listed as "8cm" but it should be "18cm".

2. The length of the sliding door panel is listed as "63.7cm" but it should be "67.3cm".

3. The front headliner has a measurement of "106cm" to the base from the top of the curved section. This figure, subtracted from the total length of "112cm" would give a length of "6cm" from the top of the curved section to the top of the panel. However, the other side of the blueprint has the same measurement of "6cm" listed from the bottom of the curved section to the top of the panel. I'm not sure which is correct.

4. The front headliner has a measurement of "48cm" from the beginning of the bottom curve to the other curvy bit (you'll see what I mean, but it's hard to describe). "48cm" would place the other curvy bit closer to the centre of the panel than it should be. I'm not sure what measurement this should be.

Hope I haven't misunderstood anything and that it helps!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:

don't know if this will help, but to measure the center point from one hole to the other you measure from the "back edge" to the "front edge"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:
Well I've measured up most the panels now and I just have a couple of questions and I noticed some mistakes in the blueprints.

Did you measure up the panel that goes next to the other rear wheel arch? And the two strips that go underneath the rear side windows?

I did not do any of these panels. The wheel arch was in great shape on my bus so I never replaced it and don't have a spare to use for this project. Same for the strip on the same side. The strip behind the spare is tough because of the curves. Never had time to sit and really think about the measurements.

Quote:
These are the mistakes I noticed with the blueprints:

1. On the long side piece, the hole for the outlet has a dimension listed as "8cm" but it should be "18cm".

2. The length of the sliding door panel is listed as "63.7cm" but it should be "67.3cm".

3. The front headliner has a measurement of "106cm" to the base from the top of the curved section. This figure, subtracted from the total length of "112cm" would give a length of "6cm" from the top of the curved section to the top of the panel. However, the other side of the blueprint has the same measurement of "6cm" listed from the bottom of the curved section to the top of the panel. I'm not sure which is correct.

4. The front headliner has a measurement of "48cm" from the beginning of the bottom curve to the other curvy bit (you'll see what I mean, but it's hard to describe). "48cm" would place the other curvy bit closer to the centre of the panel than it should be. I'm not sure what measurement this should be.

Hope I haven't misunderstood anything and that it helps!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'll check them out over the next couple of days and update the photos as needed. Your attention to these details is much appreciated.

Skills - Thanks for the input!
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

No probs mate, glad I could help!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to double check these measurements and update the images. You were correct in your measurements, so thank you! The corrected figures are below. It’d be nice to update the originals but I can’t edit them anymore.

If anyone else finds errors, please let me know so I can keep the figures updated here and on my blog.

Ben Middleton wrote:
These are the mistakes I noticed with the blueprints: 1. On the long side piece, the hole for the outlet has a dimension listed as "8cm" but it should be "18cm".

Now corrected to 18cm
Ben Middleton wrote:

Now corrected
Ben Middleton wrote:

All the measurements are correct here except for the depth to the bottom of the two little curves. Turns out they aren’t the same either. Passenger side if 7.5cm and driver side is 8cm deep. Probably just variances in manufacturing, but I noted the difference in the image.
Ben Middleton wrote:

Now corrected to 28cm

suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Wood Panel Templates Reply with quote

Hello! I was wondering if someone could possibly tell me if these panels are also the right size for a 1970 Westfalia poptop, and not just '71 and up.
I would be super grateful for any input - I am quite new to this whole rehabbing thing, as well as the vw community in general but am still hoping to start redoing the interior of my bus in the next couple of weeks.
Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: