Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

I finally concluded that the over-heating problem that I noticed last December is being caused by combustion gasses getting into the coolant via the head.

So today I will pull the head and have a look at the gasket and the combustion face of the head. I'm sure the gasket must be toast, I know there will be those acceptable cracks between the valves, but I HIGHLY expect that there also will be those unacceptable cracks between the exhaust valve seats toward the pre-chambers... I will know in a few hours.

If by some miracle the head casting is still OK then I will give it a valve-job and new gasket... if the casting is toast I will either get a new OEM CASTING and put my valves in there, or I will buy a new full head made by AMC.

Wish me luck!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Good luck! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Good luck! Very Happy

All stripped down now... I'm about to take out the HEAD BOLTS Shocked Shocked Shocked
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Just finished getting the head out of the van... ...here are a whole bunch of fotos, but probably the one single most significant one is this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From my understanding of these heads when there are cracks between the valves and the pre-chambers then the head is considered toast. On my head 3 of the prechambers have no cracks but one of them has this crack - which does not extend all the way to the valve. So I suppose this might be considered as a borderline case in which the head might give good service for another year or more?

--- otherwise the pulling was somewhat uneventful... However there was one thing that causes me some concern. The head was not completely drained of coolant when I loosened the head bolts and so coolant drained into the cylinder above the pistons. I immediately took out that coolant and dried out the cylinders >>> should I put a bit of engine oil in there?? Will this coolant cause any engine problems?

--- next, I can't really see any obvious defect in the head gasket but seems a bit rusty at the coolant ports --- don't forget the PO gave me the van with water in the system (no coolant) and it was like that for several months.

--- just now having looked quickly at the head's combustion face, aside from that one crack, on another cylinder-face there is a really significant build up of carbon and sort-of calcium (?) stuff...

[forgot to mention... brand new turbo and quite a bit of oil in the INTAKE.

- - -

Now the thing is to decide what to do next?
- Pressure test this head at a machine shop?
- Just throw in the towel and buy a new casting and put in my valves
- ...or buy a full new head (AMC 500EUR)
- or take a chance and run this head for a while longer?

Last edited by epowell on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

your rear two pistons look a bit melted on the prechamber side edge, so timing and/or injectors were bad for a while.

I say that crack can be welded by a shop if the head has enough height to get skimmed.

to avoid rusting wipe some oil to the surfaces of the bores.

Oil in intake can be caused by a clogged air filter or hose before filter too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

I say that crack can be welded by a shop if the head has enough height to get skimmed.

Zoltan, how much do you think this would cost to do in Hungary? [price would be similar in Czech... maybe 150eur?]

There is also a question of time since we wanted to go on holiday with the van for a month starting July 1st. Getting a new AMC head from Germany would cost 530eur (incl shipping). If I get my old head worked on, then I will also have to do a valve job, and that would involve quite some time, and also expense in parts.

If I buy a new AMC head would that essentially be a "bolt on" deal? ...or would I have to do some work on the valves and such also?

- - -

At the moment, considering time and everything else, I am sorta leaning towards just ordering a new head, and get rolling as soon as possible > then, later, at my leisure, I can slowly slowly get this head machine-shopped and slowly do the valve work myself... [would hurt anything to have a backup head always in waiting if need be]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Did you drain the coolant (remove the thermostat flange and thermostat) prior to pulling the head? That typically drains the coolant out of the block so that it does not get into the cylinders.

Drying it up as best you can is the right thing to do. You might spray some WD40 on the cylinders. You should also drain/refill the oil at some point in this process. Now wouldn't be a bad time.

The oil in the intake is most likely from the crank vent and normal.

There are valve impressions in the piston crowns. That means that the cam timing was not done correctly at some point. It also means that unless the head has been replaced since then, the valves have been impacted which often results in the stem weakening. It is not unheard of that the head will eventually fall off a valve that has been hit. The result is total engine destruction usually beyond even being rebuildable as the head of the valve bounces around in the cylinder smashing into the head, scoring the cylinder wall, ruining the piston, and bending the connecting rod. Shocked I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that it might. The later AAZ's and TDI's are more prone to that with the 7mm valve stems vs. the 8mm stems in the 1.6 and early AAZ.

You asked what I would do. That would really depend on what my goals were for the vehicle and how much $$ I had available. In my current situation and wanting a reliable camper, I would probably source an AHU and install install it as an mTDI with a LR injection pump... Razz If money was tight and I needed a vehicle on the road sooner rather than later, I would consider reusing that head. Before reusing it, I would definitely get it pressure tested. If it passed, I would consider using it. That crack will grow, though, and sometimes quickly, and so if I did use it, I would consider it a fairly temporary fix and start saving up or looking for an AAZ or AHU to swap in.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Did you drain the coolant (remove the thermostat flange and thermostat) prior to pulling the head?

No I only drained coolant at the RAD.. OK, I know for next time... I will have to really get in there with q-tips and make sure it is as clean as possible.

Andrew A. Libby wrote:

You should also drain/refill the oil at some point in this process. Now wouldn't be a bad time.
Yes I drained the oil of course in order to get the turbo off.

- - -

For those of you who remember last year I found another JX from year '91. I had analyzed the combustion face of that head, and found no cracks TO the pre-chamber, but the prechambers themselves where full of cracks. I wonder if I could use THIS head, but simply swap in the prechambers from my current head?

EDIT: looking again at my current head- it actually looks like my current prechambers might even be more cracked than the '91's! I will clean it up and look carefully tomorrow...

epowell wrote:

On to the HEAD. Tried my best to get it cleaned up but Wow, that thing is dirty right deep into the metal... anyhow I tried, and here are close-ups of the critical areas... no there are no cracks going to the pre-chamber, but yes all of the pre-chamber inserts have micro cracks in them... does this mean that the head is maybe usable but I would need to get new pre-chamber inserts?
cylinder #1 (3photos):

cylinder #2 (3photos):

cylinder #3 (3photos):

cylinder #4 (3photos):

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

changing the pre-chambers is not a big task for a machine shop. So if the other head is not a hydraulic lifter one (has shims at lifters) then its cheaper to repair those as no welding needed.
I paid 25000 HUF 10 years ago, that is around 2100CZK I would say its around 2500-3000 CZK nowadays

Financially a 1.9 TD code AEF from a Skoda Felicia would be the cheapest option (I saw them advertised from 3000 to 8000 CZK https://www.sbazar.cz/hrbitovaut/detail/18001101-prodam-motor-skoda-felicia-19-di https://auto.bazos.cz/inzerat/76616472/skoda-felicia-19d.php) but as you told before its not legal to change the engine there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
changing the pre-chambers is not a big task for a machine shop. So if the other head is not a hydraulic lifter one (has shims at lifters) then its cheaper to repair those as no welding needed.
I paid 25000 HUF 10 years ago, that is around 2100CZK I would say its around 2500-3000 CZK nowadays

An new AMC head is around 14,000kc delivered. It is hard to say how much it would cost in the end to get my old head done at a shop, and how long it would take.

My '91 head is exactly the same as my current head... but the '91 is in MUCH better condition. I just realized that my current head has cracks in all PCs... see fotos?

You can also see where the combustion was leaking right into the coolant holes - so I guess these places are where the gasket failed... seems to me maybe the head was not fully flat. I have not yet checked either head for true flatness.

ZsZ wrote:

Financially a 1.9 TD code AEF from a Skoda Felicia would be the cheapest option (I saw them advertised from 3000 to 8000 CZK https://www.sbazar.cz/hrbitovaut/detail/18001101-prodam-motor-skoda-felicia-19-di https://auto.bazos.cz/inzerat/76616472/skoda-felicia-19d.php) but as you told before its not legal to change the engine there.

Very interesting... that could be a cheap option. In fact it is not illegal here to swap engines as long as you just use the vehicle yourself - but if you ever want to sell it it must have the original engine type back in.

I guess I am now also hesitant to change now to a different engine type. At this point I already have quite a history with my JX and I am starting to really know what I have:
- rebuilt IP
- injectors tested and repaired professionally
- new oil pump
- new waterpump
- new timing belt
- new injector lines
- new turbo +new oil return
- new engine seals and intermediate shaft front bearings
- new crank bolt

...also I have that other JX block which I intend to rebuild. So maybe good/safe for me to stay just with JX?

- - -

Again, what I am now thinking is to just bite the bullet and bolt in there a new AMC head, and go on our holiday as planned. I could just put in my old head with a new gasket and it would probably be fine for the holiday, but if it is not fine then the end costs would be much more scary than just buying a new head right now.

I am thinking to buy the new head, and then take my time and very slowly slowly and carefully rebuild this '91 head as a backup JX head.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

What headbolts did it have? 6 point Allen or 12 point? 12 points are TTY and are risky to reuse. You will also need to super clean the head bolt holes in the block. I will chase the threads. This ensures a consistent torque. If any fluid remains in the bolt holes you can crack the block torquing the head bolts.

Slap it back together with a new gasket after making sure the head is not warped. Enjoy your vacation.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
What headbolts did it have? 6 point Allen or 12 point? 12 points are TTY and are risky to reuse.

I have the 12 point type.

MarkWard wrote:

Slap it back together with a new gasket after making sure the head is not warped. Enjoy your vacation.

Really?? Even with all those cracks?
Of course if I would get away with slapping it back on, all I need it for is a one month gentle driving trip... then thru the Winter I could rebuild the other head.

That would save me some money...

PS - however it is concerning what Andrew and Zoltan noted about some previous valve/piston collisions... seems there is a chance a valve-head might potentially drop into the a bore.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

It was running when took it apart. It's very likely the valves that kissed the pistons may not even be in the head any more. It is also good practice for you. You can now see why the cam timing is just as if not more critical than the pump timing.

Also if it has been running hot, the piston rings may have lost their "temper" and are not working as efficiently as they can.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It was running when took it apart. It's very likely the valves that kissed the pistons may not even be in the head any more.

Well I do question why this head has 12point head-bolts, which are the later version. It does suggest that perhaps some work has been done on the head (?)

In all honestly, I ONLY need the van to run well for a one month trip, and then I have the rest of the year to deal with any new problems... BUT, as I said, a big problem on the road would be even more costly.

MarkWard wrote:

Also if it has been running hot, the piston rings may have lost their "temper" and are not working as efficiently as they can.

I would not say the van was running particularly "hot" before the head gasket went. In fact we made it all the way to Italy thru the Alps in hot weather without ANY rad. fan at all.

Having said that I would not expect to get so much more out of this engine without a re-build.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

All the 1.6TD engines had the 12mm 12pt head bolts. Only some of the earlier 1.6 non-turbo engines had the 11mm 6pt bolts.

After seeing pics of those inserts I would not reinstall that head with them in place.

If there are not cracks in the '91 casting, then it is clearly preferable over your current head. PC inserts are available, in fact, you might be able to get them more easily than I can. I had them shipped from the UK last time I got some. They were approx. $10 each so not a huge deal.

For the head gasket job you need to replace the cylinder head bolts. I would also highly recommend getting a can of the Hylomar spray. I have gotten the cans most recently off Ebay for ~$20.

For determining piston protrusion there are various ways. Whatever way you use needs to accurately measure the protrusion of the piston crown above the block head gasket surface when the piston is at TDC. You must clean all of the carbon off the crown. The typical carbon on the piston is thick enough to change the spec from the thinnest to the thickest gasket. One simple way to measure protrusion is to place the piston at TDC, put a straightedge across a piston parallel to the wrist pin and use feeler gauges on either side of the piston to measure the gap. Another common way is to use a dial indicator and a piece of flat stock that is a little larger than the cylinder. Place the flat stock over the cylinder (piston below TDC) with the dial indicator pointing straight down at the piece of flat stock. Zero the gauge. Bring the piston to TDC.

I usually prep the block with a single edge razor blade and green scotchbrite. Don't use the razor blade on the head as it is softer aluminum and easy to gouge.

You can take a couple of the old head bolts and cut some slots across the threads with a dremel in order to make them like taps. Use them to clean the head bolt holes. Make sure to clean out any crud and fluid from the bolt holes.

Clean the new bolts and I install them with a very light coating of oil.

You can take another couple of old head bolts, remove the heads and cut slots in them to use as alignment pins when setting the head gasket and head on the block. Put them in a couple of the corner holes. Once you get a couple of the new bolts screwed in, you can remove the alignment pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

At the moment I am toying with buying either one of these 2:
COMPLETE HEAD (KOLBENSCHMIDT) 599EUR without shipping
https://www.tk-carparts.de/article/8833/Zylinderkopf_komplett_CS_JX_16_Diesel_Turbodiesel.html
Cylinder head complete CS, JX 1.6 Diesel, Turbodiesel
Complete with valves, camshaft
Item number: 8833
Reference number: 068103265E-KS
Weight: 15,000 kg
Manufacturer / Supplier:
Piston body (KS)
Complete NEW cylinder head from KOLBENSCHMIDT with camshaft, tappets, valves, etc .; Valves are pre-set.
Suitable for:
All 1.6l diesel and turbo diesel with mechanical rams
NO RETURNS

COMPLETE HEAD (AMC) 519EUR without shipping
https://www.tk-carparts.de/article/8832/Zylinderkopf_komplett_CS_JX_16_Diesel_Turbodiesel.html
Cylinder head complete CS, JX 1.6 Diesel, Turbodiesel
Complete with valves, camshaft
Item number: 8832
Reference number: 068103265E-AMC
Weight: 15,000 kg
Manufacturer / Supplier:
AMC - Spain
Complete NEW AMC cylinder head with camshaft, tappets, valves, etc .; Valves are pre-set.
Suitable for:
All 1.6l diesel and turbo diesel with mechanical rams
NO RETURNS

My current thinking is that my old '91 could be rebuildable and go nicely with the '91 JX block I intend on rebuilding within a few years. But getting that '91 head working 'new/fast' doesn't seem possible, and then we can forget about our van trip this Summer... that's why I am thinking to invest in the new head - then transfer that over to another JX in the future.

I am guessing that the KS (KOLBENSCHMIDT) head is going to be better than the AMC.

I wonder if these heads come with new headbolts?

- - -

So first thing to do is to clean the block and measure the piston protrusions.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

I imagine the KS head is better than the AMC, but a few years ago I bought a complete new AMC head for my ALH and was really impressed with the visible quality of the kit--especially for less than $300. It even came with new head bolts. I'm keeping it as a spare and thus haven't run it yet.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Things I noticed about your situation:

- that engine has for sure suffered from some form of either mis timing or timing belt break in the past. As pointed out by other posters, the piston crowns have valve indentations in them. That is a sure sign that at some point the timing was off enough so that the pistons hit the valves.

- I think your head is warped. You can see in the middle where there is a lot of coolant movement across the head gasket and into the oil channels and apparently also into the cylinders. It would probably be a better idea just to get a new head. I have the KOLBENSCHMIDT AAZ head on my 1.9TD in my vanagon and it is working very well.

There is a limited amount that you can really play around with a 30+ year old cylinder head with every problem in the book. At some point it becomes a piece of scrap aluminum. Yours looks close to that point.

- You should not use the 1.6TD fibre head gasket. They are garbage. Use the metal AAZ gasket. Much better and it fits fine on that engine.

- since you have the whole thing apart, you might seriously want to consider refreshing that block. It looks like it could benefit from a rebuild. Those blocks are neither difficult nor expensive to rebuild and the parts are available and cheap. With the help of a local machine shop it is not a difficult job.

I see a well used JX motor that has had a difficult life. While it would probably be possible to patch it together for some additional limited life, why bother? Just freshen it up, replace the head and then you have a trouble free motor for many hundreds of thousands of kilometers of driving.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

The KS WILL be better than the AMC, and no, NO new head bolts will come with the new head. You must buy them separately.

I would invest in the new head, have the summer Holiday, and then put the new head on the new engine during winter hibernation.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket & cylinder head work Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I imagine the KS head is better than the AMC, but a few years ago I bought a complete new AMC head for my ALH and was really impressed with the visible quality of the kit--especially for less than $300. It even came with new head bolts. I'm keeping it as a spare and thus haven't run it yet.

How did you find a new AMC head for $300???!

...anyway I am almost 99% decided to buy the new KS. Otherwise I think we won't have any holiday this year (and that would be insane considering I have been on my back now everyday for 4 months in preparation!). And since I plan on staying with JX engines, it is not really a waste of money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: