Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Guatemala Bound
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Hello!

In August of this year, I'm planning on leaving Washington state and work my way down the coast line.
1st stop will be in Eureka, CA and later San Diego.
I've driven through Baja and I"m probably going to do this again.
I'll grab a ferry to mainland Mexico and venture my way over to San Cristobal. From there, I'll head over to Momostenango, Guatemala.
I've never driven through mainland Mexico or driven into Guatemala.
So I'm looking for travel and legal tips.
I'll bring vehicle registration and insurance for Mexico.
I'll be hauling some medical equipment, computers, and some higher end mountain bikes to a small clinic where I'll be staying in Guatemala. I'll have the appropriate documents for the border cross in Guatemala so I'm not taxed.
I'm fairly concerned about customs and security in Mexico.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of having your expensive bikes hanging off the back for everyone to see.

Make sure your insurance covers you in those countries. Also check to see if your credit card covers you in those countries. Worse case you can purchase insurance in the areas you will be.

Check to make sure you have all the road hazard equipment (triangles and such) some countries require them and police can make you show it to them.

Im not 100% sure with Guatemala but depending how long you are there you may have to get one of those AAA international driving permits.
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

I'm actually considering buying/towing a small inclosed trailer. Not sure if that makes me more of a "target though".
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Awesome trip, would love to go that far one day. My experience travelling mainland and baja mexico with expensive mountain bikes is that most people do not realize bikes are worth much. They think bikes are for poor people to ride around on. Unlike Canada/US where people know mtn bikes can be worth 10grand. That being said, out of sight is of course way better. We had ours up on the roof which kept them a bit further out of the way, and we had them very well locked.

As for going baja to mainland, make sure you read up on the vehicle permits and tourist cards (FMM). You do not need a card for <7 days in baja/northern sonora, but you do further south. Its a bit hard to find the permits at the border, especially in baja (eg tijuana) since so few people get them. So just be sure to pull over and park after you cross into mex and find the right place to buy them. Same goes for the vehicle importation permit, which is not needed in baja but is needed for mainland. Since you will need it for the ferry and beyond. ALso FYI you cant sleep in your vehicle on the ferry. Its a bummer that caught us off guard!

Not sure if you are familiar with expedition portal website,

www.expeditionportal.com but there is a wealth of info on travelling baja and beyond.
They also have a central america subforum:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/115-Latin-America

Other websites like

www.bajanomad.com

are useful for up to date road info, etc

Also, from the few times I've been down with the van, we have had good experiences with

https://www.bajabound.com/

for insurance.

Anyway have fun! And don't forget to post a trip report!

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

I may be doing the same trip in november.
Download ioverlander.
It works even offline
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

angrychicken wrote:

1st stop will be in Eureka, CA ...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Do yourself a big favor on your 1st stop and stay 7 miles to the North in Arcata or 15-20 min further south in Fortuna or Ferndale. There's nowhere good to stay in Eureka. If you want good camping or hotel recommendations, PM me.

As far as general security along your entire journey, have you read any of the recent "stolen" threads? Might be good to instal a hidden kill switch at the very least and/or a GPS tracker... just incase.

Regardless, your overall trip sounds fantastic!

Enjoy!
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

We did this in 2015. We went from Mexico in Belize then into Guatemala. Border crossing was relatively simple from Belize in Guatemala. You can see more info on the crossing on our blog here: http://livetravelplay.marionette.ca/2015/06/09/border-crossing-belize-to-guatemala/
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses!
I downloaded ioverlander, thanks for that tip.
I probably won't go through Belize this time as I need to be in NW Guatemala for "work".
I believe I need a temporary vehicle import permit to get through mainland Mexico. I'm not sure how to get this nullified if needed before entering Guatemala.
Any advise on that?
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

angrychicken wrote:
Thanks for the responses!
I downloaded ioverlander, thanks for that tip.
I probably won't go through Belize this time as I need to be in NW Guatemala for "work".
I believe I need a temporary vehicle import permit to get through mainland Mexico. I'm not sure how to get this nullified if needed before entering Guatemala.
Any advise on that?

At the border is the best place to get the temporary import permit. Waiting until the ferry from Baja to the mainland has caused some people troubles (as in drive all the way back to the border troubles). When exiting you turn in your temporary import and you will get the money back. We paid on credit card and got the money back on our credit card in a week or after exiting Mexico.

You can also try to get the 10 year import permit for motorhomes. I think they demand a toilet, but they may not look. Then you do not have to worry for the next 10 years about it. Ask for the 'casa rodante' permit.
Mexico 2022-2023
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Good to know! Thanks again!
Any travel tips to get through Mexico? We would consider mainland Mexico if the route is safe and cooler! Heading through Baja during the heat of August with my dog is not appealing.
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

angrychicken wrote:
We would consider mainland Mexico if the route is safe and cooler!

To maximize safety you might consider taking the toll roads, a bit pricey but much faster and safer (livestock, potholes, topes etc.). If you think heat will be an issue, see if you can plot a route South through the highlands much cooler at elevation. Remember too, not as many travelers in August , so paid camping areas (RV parks) will probably be open but you might be the only one there. Hotels are cheap and most have secure parking if you feel the need.

Have a great trip!
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

angrychicken wrote:
Good to know! Thanks again!
Any travel tips to get through Mexico? We would consider mainland Mexico if the route is safe and cooler! Heading through Baja during the heat of August with my dog is not appealing.

We had zero problems driving in Mexico. All police/army stops were respectful and courteous. Talk to people, see where the problems are, but do not be afraid to go where you want.

Every city we went to, every state we went to, said that the neighbouring state was dangerous and do not go. Even if we just came from one state to another we heard that about the place we just left. Use common sense. If things feel funny, move on. But do not be afraid to explore and have fun. The Mexican people are friendly and fun.

The mountains cool off significantly, especially at night. So if the heat is oppressive, head inland.
Mexico 2022-2023
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Farf wrote:
angrychicken wrote:
We would consider mainland Mexico if the route is safe and cooler!

To maximize safety you might consider taking the toll roads, a bit pricey but much faster and safer (livestock, potholes, topes etc.). I

Have a great trip!

Yes, toll roads are safe and faster. But the free roads, we felt, were equally safe, but way slower.
Mexico 2022-2023
Theslowdutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

We are now 16 months in our trip from New York to Argentina. We spend 6 months in the USA and 10 months so far in Mexico. And we still have a lot of road to cover. When you enter Mexico you have to stop to get a FMM and a TIP (for your car). Both are valid for 6 months. It's your responsibility to get it! there are no signs. This paperwork will get checked when you enter the Ferry at La Paz (Baja). You can take 2 kinds of ferry. Baja Ferry and the other one (forget the name). Baja Ferry is a little bit more expensive but also more comfort. You can't sleep in your car. In the other one you can sleep in your car. We choose Baja Ferry...after a month of boon docking on the beaches we needed a good shower Laughing
People in Mexico are great. So far we haven't been stopped once.
In La Paz you have a pretty good VW shop called Geraldo's. It's a good spot to get some work done. If you need work done on the mainland it's good to know that you always can go to a regular VW dealer. They can help you for reasonable prices. Always (!) stay there when they work on your vehicle. They don't have any/much experience with these vehicles.

Also....never drive at night! You won't see the holes in the road, the animals, and the thieves.

A lot of details on border crossing you can find here:
http://wikioverland.org/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/panamtravelers/
www.facebook.com/OverlandSphere

If you want to follow our journey you can find us here: www.facebook.com/theslowdutchman

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
The Mexican people are friendly and fun.

X2...one of the best parts of travelling in Mexico.
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

I agree that most latins are pleasant (hence the trip).
I've traveled through Baja before, parts of Guatemala, and Costa Rica.
Just never did a road trip of this magnitude.
The van is going to Eion's Automotive in Seattle on Monday. I have a undiagnosed parasitic draw that they will look at in addition to making sure the van is road worthy.
From what I gather, I need to obtain a temporary vehicle permit at the Mexican border. This will be discontinued when exiting.
At the Guatemalan border, they will spray for bugs and seeds if I recall. There will be an associated fee. The vehicle can stay in Guatemala for 3 months, up to 6 months with an extension.
I do have some other concerns though, I'm transferring some medicines and supplies to Guatemala. I've done this dozens of times and gotten through customs without any problem with necessary documents.
However, those documents don't pertain to Mexico.
Ideas?
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

Odds are very good they won't even search the van, but I would think the same paperwork for Guatemala would work.
angrychicken wrote:
I agree that most latins are pleasant (hence the trip).
I've traveled through Baja before, parts of Guatemala, and Costa Rica.
Just never did a road trip of this magnitude.
The van is going to Eion's Automotive in Seattle on Monday. I have a undiagnosed parasitic draw that they will look at in addition to making sure the van is road worthy.
From what I gather, I need to obtain a temporary vehicle permit at the Mexican border. This will be discontinued when exiting.
At the Guatemalan border, they will spray for bugs and seeds if I recall. There will be an associated fee. The vehicle can stay in Guatemala for 3 months, up to 6 months with an extension.
I do have some other concerns though, I'm transferring some medicines and supplies to Guatemala. I've done this dozens of times and gotten through customs without any problem with necessary documents.
However, those documents don't pertain to Mexico.
Ideas?

Mexico 2022-2023
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

I've had vehicles gone through during routine check points where they are looking for guns/drugs. Never had an issue with those.
But during those times I wasn't packing boxes filled with vials and bottles of medications.
Hopefully my Guatemalan documents will work.
angrychicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

We will take the ferry from La Paz into mainland Mexico.

Any recommendations for the route? Must see places?
We aren't attracted to tourist hubs and are budget minded.
Also considering hitting Belize before Guatemala and looking for travel tips in Belize.

Thanks!
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Bound Reply with quote

angrychicken wrote:
We will take the ferry from La Paz into mainland Mexico.

Any recommendations for the route? Must see places?
We aren't attracted to tourist hubs and are budget minded.
Also considering hitting Belize before Guatemala and looking for travel tips in Belize.

Thanks!

Ferry from La Paz? Bolivia is landlocked.

EDIT: oh, never mind, you mean from La Paz, Baja Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: