Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

Hi
So it's over 100 degrees and my 1982 Vanagon Westfalia diesel with a 1.6 NA motor is running very hot going over the mountains. There's pretty much no way out without going over a series of hills...that already caused the van to overheat in the way here.

The good news is that I have another thermostat. The current one in there is approximately 195 degrees.
The new one that I have to replace it is approximately 180 degrees....mas o menos.

Additionally cell data here is weak.

Can someone offer some instructions?
Can I do this with a basic set of tools including a socket set etc?
Where the heck is the thermostat housing anyway?
Is there a YouTube video on this?

I've tried to search but often the search just times out.
I know you guys are great and I appreciate your help and support.

PS: when the van is running on the flat lands it's all good.
Also...previous owner said the same would happen to him.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

It's pretty easy to replace. Here's a 1.5/6 diesel engine diagram showing where the t-stat resides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

The thermostat is on the bottom of the water pump it's only two bolts holding it in. A 10mm socket or wrench and a screw driver is all you need. You have made shore the fan is working first right? You have to be very careful with the two bolts as they break very easy. I would bleed the cooling system and ck the fan before I changed the thermostat. If those engines get hot they some times blow the head gasket and blow compression in to the cooling system. Then you would just keep getting air in the system.If you get stuck all the problems I just talked about are pretty easy and you should be able to get some one local to help you out. I hope that helps.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

Make sure your AUX. fan is working, changing theT-.

stat in hopes of lowering the temp under load---?? Make sure your fans are coming on, both speeds
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Make sure your AUX. fan is working, changing theT-.

stat in hopes of lowering the temp under load---?? Make sure your fans are coming on, both speeds

This is DEFINITELY a problem. The fan comes on in the LOW setting but it has never come on in the HIGH mode.

Is there a way to jumper that on? I have a bunch of wire and a sturdy switch.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

well that depends on if you have the OEM diesel radiator and 2 (2 terminal) switches

or an updated radiator with the single (3 terminal) switch

well actually either can be 'jump started' with a length of wire and a sturdy switch. since it's a switch all it does is turn on/off the wires that are connected to it..

here's an informative thread on diesel radiator switches.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673809
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

Replacing the thermostat is a good idea. Is it safe to drive during the night? Temperatures usually drop quite a bit at night or even early morning.

cheers Herman
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

I would suggest drilling a small 1/8" hole in the thermostat. It helps the coolant level to equalize on both sides of the thermostat when filling. If not, you will want to fill the engine with coolant through the cylinder head hose fitting. This prevents it from getting air bound.

If the thermostat has been there a while as mentioned, you will likely snap at least one of the cover bolts. If the job goes bad, complete waterpump comes off easily enough.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

What is "very hot"? Are you loosing coolant? If you aren't loosing coolant, you are probably not hurting anything. I would think twice about tearing something apart at any distance from an autoparts or at least a bus stop.

Something that you could fix in 30 minutes parked out back of an autoparts could take you days if you are an hour out of town.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

If you can get south to La Paz Geraldo's VW shop, right in town, is very helpful.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Theslowdutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
If you can get south to La Paz Geraldo's VW shop, right in town, is very helpful.

Completely agree with this one. Geraldo is the spot to make a stop south.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

::::Update::::
So we leave tomorrow morning.
I found out that the HIGH fan was not coming on at all. I'm guessing it's the sensor/switch.
I jumped the HIGH fan and it ran perfectly. So I am using the temp sensor/switch that is for the low fan to turn on the HIGH. I just switched the wire leads. Then I made a jumper for the low fan and plan to run it whenever the vehicle is running. It's really hot so I can't see how running the low can the whole time will be a bad idea. It would probably be on most of the time anyway.
I decided not to try a "field repair" of the thermostat given the multiple warnings about the possibility of breaking the bolts.
When I get back, I'm going to replace both fan switch/sensors. I might go with that 3-way switch but I'm not sure of the advantage to doing that. I also noticed that the short hose on the radiator looks old as do the clamps and the bleeder valve. I need to check with the previous owner about the water pump history.
I guess the whole cooling system needs some love. ❤️

Is there an upgrade that I should know about now that I'm going to be getting into all of this?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS!!!!!!!!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Baja, need help replacing thermostat 1.6 diesel Westy Reply with quote

mike93108 wrote:

I guess the whole cooling system needs some love. ❤️

Is there an upgrade that I should know about now that I'm going to be getting into all of this?

I just went thru all of this! Complete and total cooling system replacement EXCEPT the thermostat (including changing the head gasket), and finally it looks like the ONLY thing wrong (causing the overheating) was the thermostat!!

If you want an upgrade you can replace the pipes with SS. I cheaped out a bit and replaced the old pipes with rubber hoses.

I attempted to keep my old HEAVY rad., but the shop I gave it to to "rod it out" BUTCHERED it to death! ...so then I had to buy the new plastic light-weight rad... I am not really happy with that. Folks here told me it was an "upgrade" but I don't trust it. My advice would be to take you old rad. to a shop that REALLY KNOWS HOW TO CLEAN THESE THINGS PROPERLY. Further more if you switch to a LATER style of rad., then you have to modify the shroud and the mounting and wiring... a lot of pissing around but it can be done. The one good thing about switching to the later rad system is that the old rad.s are NLA and you can only get the later cheapo ones... so if you desperately need a rad. on a trip, it is nice to know you can just order another later cheapo rad. and swap it in quickly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: