Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

For an engine of that caliber I would send out the rods to get balanced end for end, then total weight. I've seen ppl rig up a roller skate wheel, hangers, etc but I doubt any home job would be as good as a machinist with the real machines.

For a stock build, total weight would be OK IMO but I'm sure I'll get flamed for that statement.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Yea I am going to bring the rods, pistons etc. to my guy. Thanks Pruneman99!
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Saving up some cash to get my rotating assembly balanced. Got some micrometers for Christmas and measured all my oil clearances. Everything seems well. The main bearings were .0028", .0023", .0034" and .0029". The Rod bearings all had .0018" of clearance. All rod journals were at 2.1650" and the three main journals were 2.1645". The 4th main I dont remember but it was right in spec. Also got an Empi deep sump. Some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Check the flatness of that sump to the case, my Empi sump rocked back and forth bad enough that I don’t trust it, I’m scrapping it and getting a Berg sump
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crankshaft Reply with quote

modok wrote:

a lot of folks would be more inclined to go 78 stroke and AA thickwall 92 cylinders, but you know, they aren't THAT great.
If you don't buy any AA brand parts, that's fine, you aren't missing anything but a headache. Very Happy

I had some trouble with my AA ThickWall Thin bottom cylinders but that was me breaking things. Otherwise, why are they not that great?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crankshaft Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
modok wrote:

a lot of folks would be more inclined to go 78 stroke and AA thickwall 92 cylinders, but you know, they aren't THAT great.
If you don't buy any AA brand parts, that's fine, you aren't missing anything but a headache. Very Happy

I had some trouble with my AA ThickWall Thin bottom cylinders but that was me breaking things. Otherwise, why are they not that great?

I've never had an issue with AA pistons and cylinders and neither have a lot of people. Clean and prep and you'll be fine. Guys even run thwm with turbos with no problems.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

I have noted the size of the piston skirts AND cylinder have up to .002" variance, so, depending on your luck the skirt clearance could be anything between zero and .004"
With good luck they will be between .002 and .003"

I have been told they will check and correct this for an additional charge.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I have noted the size of the piston skirts AND cylinder have up to .002" variance, so, depending on your luck the skirt clearance could be anything between zero and .004"

So they know it's a problem with their product and want you to pay an additional fee just to correct their product so it's usable? Seems legit. Rolling Eyes
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

modok wrote:

So basically, I want to measure the OD of the pistons vs the ID of the cylinder?
1997 Jeep Cherokee
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Your piston to cylinder clearance will also depend on where on the piston skirt you measure the piston diameter. Also measure the cylinder bore at the top, middle and near the bottom to determine if or how much taper there is.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

So I measured all my piston's skirts OD and their cylinders ID. I found about a .001 variance in skirt width between the 4 pistons. All the cylinders measured at 3.623". All clearances were between .002" and .003". Some felt stickier than the others even though they measured the same. I used a digital caliper and a telescopic inside bore gauge so I was probably off by half a thou here n there. I double checked my measurements with my feeler gauge and was able to fit a .002" blade in-between the skirt and the top of the cylinder. I hope this is good to run.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

So my engine is in pieces and I was waiting on funds to get my rotating assembly balanced. I had planned to get it balanced and build the shortblock. Fool with rocker geometry and all that along the way. Now since I have my heads I am wondering if I should mock up the whole longblock before I go to the machine shop. What do you guys do?
1997 Jeep Cherokee
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

I was reading what you have checked and measured so far. Will you be checking/degreeing in your cam or check valve to piston clearance also valve spring retainer to guide clearance rocker geometry?
You probably won't have a problem with valve to piston clearance but always safe to check first.
All the above can be done after assembling the short block. If you had to notch pistons, they can be rebalanced independent of your rotating assembly since 4 cyl apposed motor cranks are not balanced with bob weights.
So I would say you could go ahead and get your rotating assembly balanced. And if you going to install the cam straight up then you could assemble the short block.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Thanks for reading Marty,

Yea I have some issues I need to address about my cam timing but I thought I could do that during the shortblock phase. Maybe not though. I think I will start a thread about my cam.
Thanks again
1997 Jeep Cherokee
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

I have decided to pull the oil galley plugs in my case. I really wanted to skip this step as I had in the past. I have built 4 or 5 stockish motors and never bothered to do this. They all ran fine and none showed any signs of unusal bearing wear. Well at least the ones that I got to tear apart.
I was going to use aluminum pipe plugs but everyone on the Samba said use steel or brass if you ever want to take them out. I figured I would like the ability to remove them if I have to tear down my motor for a contamination issue. I ordered the stainless steel pipe plugs along with a dent puller from Jegs It was about $50 for everything. I got 4 1/16" npt plugs, 2 1/8" npt plugs, 6 1/4" npt plugs and 2 3?8" npt plugs. I got the two extra 1/4" plugs so I could plug my galley and pump for full flow.
I will get my plugs and puller next week and head to the non VW machine shop that my buddy works at. He said he was "the best" at tapping aluminum so we will see.
I am following advice from the Samba members and this site http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

PS: I also ordered some NGK D6EA Spark plugs so I can finally CC my Panchitos heads.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

pondervwmike wrote:
So my engine is in pieces and I was waiting on funds to get my rotating assembly balanced. I had planned to get it balanced and build the shortblock. Fool with rocker geometry and all that along the way. Now since I have my heads I am wondering if I should mock up the whole longblock before I go to the machine shop. What do you guys do?

At this point, if you have all of the parts I would build it as far as you are able. Especially if you're going to send parts off for finishing. I have had completely stupid, unexpected stuff show up while mocking up an engine. Example: engine case "fixed" with 10mm case saver, other 15 case savers were 8mm. Head stud not threaded on one end. Case bore did not let cylinders seat fully. Head not faced for head stud washer. I've never needed to modify a crank, rods, or pistons because of something found during mockup, but I know it does happen.
SD
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

Thanks SD I may just hold off on balancing for now and mock up the longblock.

Got my stainless steel plugs and a slide hammer in from Jegs. Along with 2 huge stickers in case I wanted to advertise for them.

I got all my factory plugs pulled out with the slide hammer

Yea I boogered up one hole pretty bad but Im sure my buddy can fix it

What had happened was umm well the screw from the dent puller broke off in the plug. I tried to drill it out and the drill bit slipped and hit the case pretty hard. Then I decided I would just drill out a 1/4" hole where I had slipped into to get the rest of the plug out. I am hoping my machinist can fix my eff up here. I figure we can drill and tap this location for a 1/4"npt instead of the 1/16" npt.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

As you've probably realized, the hole you cut in the pulley tin will allow preheated air into the engine compartment. It won't be a lot, but every little bit makes a difference, and it's all in the details. If you use the fitting that John gave the link to (I think on the 3rd page?) and use a file to round it off somewhat you'll now be able to weld the tin back up and the fitting will clear with just a small bump in the tin.

Have you given any thought to Bob Hoover's case modifications?
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.ca/2007/05/hvx-mods.html
Everyone who does them says it's worthwhile, with more oil to the lifter bores, rockers and cooler running heads, so it's something you should consider. One note of caution- when extending the galley from front to back some people have broken through to the outside of the case, so I suggest filling that "divot" with 1/2" of epoxy beforehand. Sand the area well with rough sandpaper for good adhesion. A friend and I drilled a junk case with a 3/16" bit and found 1/16- 1/8" of material there (we just had to drill it through to see since it was a junk case!) and decided that the epoxy beforehand would be cheap insurance, as the casting there varies.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
One note of caution- when extending the galley from front to back some people have broken through to the outside of the case, so I suggest filling that "divot" with 1/2" of epoxy beforehand. Sand the area well with rough sandpaper for good adhesion. A friend and I drilled a junk case with a 3/16" bit and found 1/16- 1/8" of material there (we just had to drill it through to see since it was a junk case!) and decided that the epoxy beforehand would be cheap insurance, as the casting there varies.

That's some good cheap insurance that will be put to use with a case swap I am planning thanks Cool
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on 2058cc motor with 80mm crank now 2127cc build thread Reply with quote

I wouldent trust epoxie, but that's me, I would rather pay attn. to what I'm doing and don't go through....you don't drill straight through. also..why for the ss plugs?? brass/bronze would be better. also why pull the plug at the cooler relief location??it's real eazy to eff up that bore doing that..do not drill it any bigger & don't bottom the tap and push the wall so it grabs the piston.... don't wory about the goof on the other end just tap it and put the plug in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: