Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weak Spark / No Start
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

I drove by 1972 beetle / dunebuggy around today, and it started up perfectly and i drove down to the store for a new airfilter. when i went to start it back up, it fired up right away and idled for a while. but just when i was about to go, the RPMS dropped and fluctuated and then it died. now it wont start back up. spraying a little bit of starting fluid seemed to help a little bit, but it didnt always respond. i am getting fuel to the carb. I had a buddy check the spark, and it was a pretty weak spark. the battery was charged and hooked up to my car. does anyone have any idea what would cause a weak spark. and starting fluid doesnt seem to work anymore.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

Electronic ignition, or points & condenser?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

Check the points gap, maybe the running block/distributor cam wasn't lubed and it wore down, so points are not opening.

If you have a pointless ignition, suspect that.

If spraying aerosol starting fluid into the air cleaner doesn't help, then it's a sparking issue.

Disclaimer - I must warn you: I got an infraction today on a truck board for being "to the point".
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

I do Have an electronic ignition. it is pretty much brand new, but sometimes that doesnt mean too much. is there a way that I can test if that is the problem for sure? I dont have a back up. All other fuel system and ignition parts are new. also I tried to start it today and adjust the timing, and it started, but then died shortly after unable to start it up again.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

What is the voltage getting to the coil from the key?

Do a good visual inspection of the cap, rotor and wires. Look for small (tiny) black spots. You will need to remove the rotor and look up into the open port which the distributor shaft goes into. Sometimes a rotor will have a burn through able to be seen at that point.

If all checks out, do a spark check at the plugs. Is the spark good?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
What is the voltage getting to the coil from the key?

Also measure the voltage at the ignition coil WHILE the engine is cranking. The voltage will often drop. If it drops below around 10v the coil will stop firing. Actually, if it drops below around 11v the electronic ignition will probably stop working.
As a test, run your battery jumper cables from the battery to the engine area and install a jumper wire to power the ignition #15 (+) terminal. If you have an alternator you can tap the B+ terminal instead as this is basically connected to the battery. This will give you the best quality voltage possible. See if the problems disappear and/or the quality of the sparks improves (white/blue spark).

Can you describe in detail you ignition system? Make/model of ignition coil? Bosch rotor w/ internal resistor? Stock Bosch solid core plug wires or aftermarket suppression plug wires? Bosch or NGK resistor or non-resistor spark plugs (look for the "R" in the part#)?
The stock ignition system had a single resistor in the rotor to suppress radio interference. Unfortunately, use of resistor plug wires and spark plugs is the norm now. This adds to the resistance between the coil and the spark plugs. This is less of a problem for modern ignitions which output 40KV but more of a challenge for stock VW/Bosch coils that output around 15KV.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

my plugs on it are the Stock B5HS NGk plugs
the Coil is a Napa IC64SB. I Actually don't think i got the one with the resistor
the plug wires are Bosch 09001 from Napa
and the distributor (including cap and rotor) are Part #REPV314108 from carparts.com

I don't know if that will help you guys any.I am just confused on how it ran so perfectly and then die out of nowhere and refuse to start.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

it started up just fine today, but just like last time it shut off and now it wont restart. I am just overly confused on what is happening
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

dunebuggy1234 wrote:
my plugs on it are the Stock B5HS NGk plugs
the Coil is a Napa IC64SB. I Actually don't think i got the one with the resistor
the plug wires are Bosch 09001 from Napa
and the distributor (including cap and rotor) are Part #REPV314108 from carparts.com

I don't know if that will help you guys any.I am just confused on how it ran so perfectly and then die out of nowhere and refuse to start.

Spark plugs = ok
Plug wires = ok
Distributor cap = probably ok?

Test the following:
Rotor = with an ohm meter test the resistance between the center conductor and the tip of the rotor. The stock rotor had a 9K-ohm(?) resistor inside. I have found that some aftermarket rotors do NOT have the resistor. Performance wise this is better. But without a resistor anywhere between the coil and the spark plug you can get excessive radio noise.

Coil = I could not find any specs for that Napa coil. With an ohm meter, test the resistance between the (+) and (-) terminals of the coil. Some coils have an internal ballast resistor. Others depend on external resistors (or resistors in the power wire to the (+) terminal). You should get a reading between 3.0~4.0ohms for a stock compatible coil (coil disconnected from everything). You may be able to get by with 2.5-ohms, but less than this and you can toast your points or an electronic ignition module. Less resistance in the coil primary means more current will flow thru the primary windings and pass thru the points/module. You can add an external ballast resistor on the (+) terminal of the coil to increase the resistance and reduce the current. What is your resistance reading on the coil?

This could explain the "no start" problem? If you pumped too much current thru the points module it may be failing/dead. Check the manufacture specs for the make/model of your module. Some of the newer Pertronix modules can handle as little as 0.5ohms thru the coil primary.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

the coil is testing at pretty much 4.0
testing from the center of coil reads 8,600
the rotor measured to be 1.07
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

dunebuggy1234 wrote:
the coil is testing at pretty much 4.0
testing from the center of coil reads 8,600
the rotor measured to be 1.07

Coil sounds like it tests ok.
If that "1.07" is 1.07ohms and not 1.07-Kohms then the rotor doesn't have the stock resistance. This is only bad if you are annoyed with radio static. Performance wise this is fine.

Have you tested the spark from the ignition coil while cranking? This means disconnecting the center coil wire from the distributor and holding the end near a ground point while you crank the engine.

Depending on the model of your distributor, you may want to buy a set of points and a condenser to replace your electronic module. Even if you find that the module is fine, you can keep these in your glove box as a backup in case the electronic points fail on you "on a cold and lonely night".

At this point my suggestion is you follow Speedy Jim's guide and walk thru the troubleshooting steps to isolate where the problem might be. Don't skip any steps.
http://speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

i have compression, i can feel it when i turn the motor
i have fuel I can See it in the carb, and it doesn't start with starting fluid
i put a brand new coil on there today from duralast/autozone
plugs got put on yesterday from ngk (B5HS)
the wires are pretty new
and the cap, rotor and distributor are all new.

I am losing my mind over this. on paper there is no reason that this thing should not run. i don't have any help to turn the key and check for spark. i tried to turn the motor by hand like that trouble shooting guide said to test for spark from the coil, either i didn't turn it fast enough, or there is no spark getting to the cap

it started right up this morning with out an issue, but will not even think about firing up now.

and it all ran perfectly just a couple of days ago, I drove it for almost 2
hours with out a single hiccup. if there is anyone in the southern Indiana area willing to lend a hand, i would gladly do what ever i can to help, I am just confused on what could cause this
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

i was able to talk my friend in to coming to help me. I get spark at the distributor and all the way down to the plugs, the spark at the cap is nice and blue. the spark at the plugs are a little yellow though. So what does that mean? I tried to spray starting fluid in the carb while my buddy was turning the engine but that did nothing at all.
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

One thing you can try,remove coil wire out of distributor cap, remove cap off of distributor, with insulated pliers hold coil wire about 1/4 inch above rotor while you have a buddy crank engine, spark should not jump to rotor, if it does rotor is bad. GM techs back in the late 70s will know what I'm talking about.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Do a good visual inspection of the cap, rotor and wires. Look for small (tiny) black spots. You will need to remove the rotor and look up into the open port which the distributor shaft goes into. Sometimes a rotor will have a burn through able to be seen at that point.

Visually inspect the rotor for voltage leaking. Small black spots way up in the rotor, where the key is.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

richardc wrote:
GM techs back in the late 70s will know what I'm talking about.

Works on GMs HEI and Fords EIS. Lots of burn through, through the rotors and coils!!!

Same issues with the VW water cooled, also. Burned rotors!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

Since you mentioned the spark from the coil wire is strong, but the spark at the end of the plug wires is weaker (is this for all four plug wires?) try this test...
Remove one plug wire from the distributor and connect it to the ignition coil. Crank the engine and test for spark at the end of the plug wire. Is the spark strong? If so, it is the rotor and distributor cap causing the loss of spark strength. Get a new pair of cap and rotor. If the spark is NOT strong using the plug wire... get new plug wires.

TIP: if you have an alternator with a B+ stud. The voltage at this stud/wire is battery voltage. Run a 14AWG wire from the engine compartment to the #50 terminal of the starter. You can pass the wire thru the reverse light wiring hole in the firewall tin. Make sure there is a way to cover the end of this wire when it is not in use or you risk it shorting out when you crank the engine. I used a female crimp on terminal with a cover that would slide up/down to cover the terminal when not in use. Also make sure it doesn't get sucked into the fan intake.

Now when you have no buddy (nobody) around to help you crank the engine... place the car in neutral and set the parking brake. Turn the ignition key to ON. Touch the end of the #50 wire you installed to the B+ stud on the alternator. The engine should start cranking and eventually start. Be careful of the fan belt!
This is a "poor man's" bump starter switch.
If you want to spend the $$ you can buy a proper bump starter switch and leave it tucked away in the engine compartment. This is a bit more risky as it makes it even easier for someone trying to steal you car to crank the engine to get it starter w/o the key. The starter switch is obvious. A loose wire not so obvious.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

I went out today and to try to start it, after moving the distributor a bit ( the timing seemed to be off) it started up perfectly, it idled for about ten minutes, I was able to rev the engine very smoothly so it seemed there was no misfire or anything of the sorts, and then it started to idle erratically and then died and wont start up again. that has happened the last 3 days in a row.

I am able to start it right up in the morning, it sputters out, then it dies and i am unable to get it started again.

it is confusing because all of the test i have ran seem to come back positive and when it does start, it runs perfect. has anyone ever heard of these engines doing that? running perfect and then dying without being able to start back up. its almost like something overheats and takes a day to reset, but I just don't know.

this isn't just a no start issue.

I only tested 2 of the plugs one on each side, they both were pretty much the same. a little bit of blue and yellow.

I will try that test to see if it the cap and rotor or the wires sometime soon though
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

the idle doesn't really fluctuate as I stated earlier. the engine just dies off. I was able to start it again only for it to die off almost immediately even while I was pressing the gas. I started it back up about 3 times until it wouldnt start up again
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak Spark / No Start Reply with quote

Once you have reached the point where it no longer starts, remove the screws that hold the top of the carb down. Pull the top off being careful not to damage the gasket. How high is the fuel in the fuel bowl. Stock Solex carb should maintain fuel around 3/4" from the top of the bowl. If your fuel level is much lower than this, you have a fuel problem.
A common problem with mechanical fuel pumps is the case will get hot and constrict the block that the pump sits on. This constricts the push rod that drives the fuel pump so the pump stops working. If you try to remove the block and check it for friction the case and block will quickly cool and your will never find a problem. As a preventative measure, use sandpaper and grind the outside of the part of the stand that slides into the case. Make sure there is lots of free play around it so as the case heats it does NOT squeeze in on this part to pinch the rod. See if that makes a diff.

Replace the carb top and try to crank the engine once more. If it still doesn't start, pull the center distributor cap wire and check for spark. Replace it and immediately test one of the plug wires. Is there still a spark??

Both of these are testing the condition of your fuel and spark at the point when your engine is NOT running. This was when Speedy Jim's troubleshooting steps should be run. If your engine starts fine in the morning his steps will likely find nothing wrong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: