Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small stroker engine for bus at altitude
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

The pistons will clear 78mm stroke with a stock rod, or more.
I've checked myself last time the question came up.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Rich, I did´nt realize it the first time around. But the reason to you not having much trouble with that small a header is because you have such a limited intake side. The intake simply does not feed enough for the exhaust side "to get in trouble" so to speak. John and Modok apparently caught it, so I must be a bit slow Confused
Chris, when you want to keep the stock heaterboxes I would suggest that you use a straight pattern cam, because at some point the exhaust side kinda need the lidft and flow. (It does of course matter a little what the end combo will be) But it should be taken into the equation.
WRT induction. As said the centermount 32 NDIX is actually rather limiting wrt power, unless it sits on a plenum (ram) type manifold Then its a somewhat different matter. Then the restriction becomes the end castings. but we can do somthing about that Smile
Since its a bus, and you live at some altitude, I would suggest the largest displacemet that "I" find reasonable for stock heater boxes. Also I would use an exhaust that improved lower rpm torque most. That would be the BAS customsport. I have recomended it before, but it is THE best muffler of its type for that kind of engine, - and - it is also the most quiet one. http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Kaefer-Typ-1-Motorente...-1830.html
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

I'm still undecided on the induction side. I haven't found an isolated runner manifold for a 32 NDIX that looks like it will fit in my engine compartment, and doesn't looks like it has been used as a hammer. The current fit of the NDIX on my SP manifold is REALLY tight to the top of the compartment. I have no experience with the plenum style manifolds, but I was under the impression that isolated runners would be best for torque and low RPMs.

So the lack of options for an NDIX manifold has me looking at other options. A single IDF or DRLA on a CB low profile manifold would work. I'm also still really intrigued with the modified 34pict setup. I've done a lot of searching on that here in the forums, and my only concern in going that route is that I don't want to get in over my head with carb modifications. I'm fine with jet changes and all, but things like modifying passages is probably beyond my skill set. I've seen the "super stock" 34pict3 that ACN sells, but based on my searches it seems like a 29-30mm venturi was needed for something like a 1968-2020cc, and the ACN one has a 28mm. I guess I could always just match my displacement to the carb.

And the BAS looks great! I've been eyeballing that since I started thinking about this engine. But man is is pricy! If there's any way I can fit it into my build I will, but I may have to start with my existing header as long as it will work with whatever combo I end up with.

I guess I need to finalize the carb question before I can move on to other parts of the combo. Thanks again for all the guidance here, guys. I really appreciate it!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Rich, I did´nt realize it the first time around. But the reason to you not having much trouble with that small a header is because you have such a limited intake side. The intake simply does not feed enough for the exhaust side "to get in trouble" so to speak.
T

Correct, I have a "mild"' 2175. Nothing radical, IDF 40s, 110 cam, CNC ported 044 Suoer Mag heads with 40X35.5 valves, 1 3/8 exhaust and a stock '73 002. It produces 75 HP and 110 FPT at the wheels and it falls off around 4500 RPMs. The combo is great and it pulls hills and mountain passes like a boss. It is lax on the flats as 60 MPH is its sweet spot with the 002. With that said there is no issues bumping it up to 75+ to get out of harms way if necessary. This combo produces 21.5 MPG on the highway and it's the right fit for my uses. It does have gauges and temps are never an issue. It actually runs really cool, especially the heads.

Chris, I think you are on the right path. I've seen many mild large displacement engines built with stock cam, valves, 1 3/8 exhaust and single carbs. None of them were ment to be race engines, just relatable engines that make more power to push a bus around a little better. As far as your carb questions and modifications go I know John at JAD would be happy to help with that, he's amazing with carbs. I've driven a 2109 (stock valves and cam) with a PICT34 with an enlarged Venturi he built and you'd be surprised on the power. Was it limited? Yes, but it was a good solid motor, the owner got more power and got to keep his gas heater. Oh yea, I see no reason for 92 TW P&Cs. If you're gonna bore it that big use the 94s!!! Wink

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Hey Rich.

Yeah, you've got a great combo, no doubt. Its all about climbing the mountains to me, and your bus does that with ease, and keeps things cool. Great combo. Shoot, you're getting better temps than I am in my 1776! I'm getting a couple MPG better than you, but I'm willing to lose some MPG if I can gain some climbing power.

I didn't realize that you had run a modified 34 pict on your 2109, and that JAD John had done the work on it for you (or I just forgot... you know me). That's really interesting. Going with the pict would let me ditch my buggy throttle cable setup, and I'd gain an automatic choke for those cold mornings. I'm really considering it.

We're going to be in Durango later this morning, hitting Ska for lunch around 11:30 or so. If you're in that part of town swing by and I'll buy you a couple beers. I'd love to hear more of your experience with that 2109 and 34 pict.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

I was planning on going to Ska for lunch too, see you there.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

My thoughts on this: Use a 34 pict with a slightly modified venturi. I would use stock size valves with your stock heater boxes. You don’t want to rev it much over 4,000 rpm so I think your possible cam choices should be something like: stock, cb performance 2280, scat c25, or engle 100. You could add bigger rockers to the stock cam if you wanted to.

I was thinking of an engine that kind of runs like the first combination this guy built. This engine was 2110cc, stock valve size, dual single throat carbs, and c25 cam. There is a dyno run video and sheet on page 3 of the write up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Yep, the modified 34 pict is the route I'm going to go. I should be able to get all the power and torque that I need out of it, and it will keep everything simple. Win win. And a CB 2239 for the cam, with Steve Tims 37.5x32 super stock heads, tight deck.

Time to buy some parts!
Sinklar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Any updates on this build? I'm living in Santa Fe and have similar requirements. High elevations with big climbs. I'm looking to build something for my 60 Double Cable with a big nut transmission with RGBs.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

Sinklar wrote:
Any updates on this build?

I camped with CDollar in the mountains of the Gila National Forest near Silver City this fall and his setup did everything my low-compression 2599cc (type 4) '76 bus did. It really got me questioning my decision to build a large exotic engine when a stock-carbureted bus could keep up with me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Small stroker engine for bus at altitude Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2248587
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: