Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

Hi All

Just completed a top end rebuild on my Bus! 1776 now has new Pistons/Cyls, CB Panchito 044 heads, & matched Kadrons. I'm still running heater boxes and an EMPI Stainless header, and matching stainless Phatboy exhaust.(Still need heat) The Kadrons replaced a set of Weber 34 ICT's.

The changes are profound, the bus is now fast and very loud. It runs great but the noise, while marginally OK at slow speeds, makes my ears ring after highway driving. I didn't expect the change in exhaust volume. I never liked the EMPI muffler's output pipe, as it is 6" short of clearing the bumper.

Looking for suggestions on a "quieter" muffler that will fit on the bus, and have a tip that extends out near the bumper. I' leaning toward the A-1 muffler sold by Aircooled.net: the site asks for vehicle type when ordering. I'm hoping that changes the setup. I have an A-1 on my beetle with a similar, but stock valve head, motor. It's fairly loud but not painful.

Looking for suggestions to:
1- Minimize the noise, and avoid tickets.
2- Fit in the body of my Double cab.
3- Minimally Dampen performance

Thanks in Advance, Scott[/list][/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

in experience..the A-1 is quiet loud. Fun for a bit, but after a few minutes on the freeway the drone rattles the teeth
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

IME, the Phatboy/Mondo mufflers are loud. Try switching to dual quiet packs with the same exhaust. Or, since you are running 044 Panchitos, upgrade to 1 1/2" flanged heater boxes and the Bugpack system that is designed to bolt up to those.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

Don't forget that a lot of noise may be coming from the intake. Most dual-carb filters do nothing to dampen the sound. This is something stock intake systems do very well. You can certainly engineer something for your Kads that does also.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hi All

Just completed a top end rebuild on my Bus! 1776 now has new Pistons/Cyls, CB Panchito 044 heads, & matched Kadrons. I'm still running heater boxes and an EMPI Stainless header, and matching stainless Phatboy exhaust.(Still need heat) The Kadrons replaced a set of Weber 34 ICT's.

The changes are profound, the bus is now fast and very loud. It runs great but the noise, while marginally OK at slow speeds, makes my ears ring after highway driving. I didn't expect the change in exhaust volume. I never liked the EMPI muffler's output pipe, as it is 6" short of clearing the bumper.

Looking for suggestions on a "quieter" muffler that will fit on the bus, and have a tip that extends out near the bumper. I' leaning toward the A-1 muffler sold by Aircooled.net: the site asks for vehicle type when ordering. I'm hoping that changes the setup. I have an A-1 on my beetle with a similar, but stock valve head, motor. It's fairly loud but not painful.

Looking for suggestions to:
1- Minimize the noise, and avoid tickets.
2- Fit in the body of my Double cab.
3- Minimally Dampen performance

Thanks in Advance, Scott[/list][/list]

I'm running almost the same set up. Last month I was looking at how old and rusty my 20 year old header was and I took it off to have a better look. Ugg!

In addition to being almost rusted through is some places the inside were starting to rot. If you shake the muffler, it sounded like a beer can with gravel inside.

So, I bought an new header and muffler. Empi, ceramic coated. The new header fit so poorly that I sent it back, but kept the muffler. Took the old header out and had it sand
blasted inside and out, then ceramic coated. Bolted the combo up. New gaskets always help.

But what impressed me was the sound of the muffler. Nice and quiet (not stock), good at RPM, with a nice little rumble at idle. The fit looks good although I have not yet hung the back bumper yet. Here what I used;

http://www.jbugs.com/product/55-3666.html?Category_Code=empi-vw-mufflers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the pitting in the old header under the ceramic coat.

Cheers, dgsaz
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

The stainless Fatboy mufflers are loud as hell. I think they use as thin a gauge stainless as possible, and the mufflers are much louder than the plain steel equivalent, at least that's my experience.
I shit canned the stainless muffler from a stainless AA sidewinder, and modified a small magna flow to fit. Much less Honda-fart-can/ snare drum rattle, better constant low rumble. Might not be quieter, but certainly less harsh.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

Get rid of your current muffler and go for a single quiet pack like in that photo with the bus and make sure you extend the exhaust tip past the rear bumper out the back.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

Buy a Vintage Speed muffler, Annendorp BAS muffler, or other non-4-1 style system. It will hurt peak power, but will be quieter.

Also, not related, but unless your Kadron manifolds have been match-ported all the way to the top, with attention to maintaining the Panchitos' minimum cross-section, you're power is suffering. The Kad manifolds might even need welding to accomplish it. Hopefully you're not using the steel ones.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

Hey All

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the smaller EMPI ceramic muffler... Hoping the reduction in noise isn't paired with a reduction in flow, more to come.

As Bugguy 1967 noted, the Kadronn manifolds needed a lot of work to match the new heads. I did heavy mods to a set of aluminum manifolds to get things to fit. Also needed a lot of work to smooth out the low quality castings.

Contemplating a new Header/Muffler, but that's for another day.

Scott
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Hey All

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the smaller EMPI ceramic muffler... Hoping the reduction in noise isn't paired with a reduction in flow, more to come.

Scott

You may get reduction in noise...

Until this happens! Shocked

Good luck! Cool
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Engine, Exhaust much louder... Opinions Reply with quote

My EMPI muffler went like that afer a backfire. Some of the fragments hit the ground a second or so after the backfire..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: