Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
suicidedoordavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Yeah, crazy subject right? There's a rope involved I promise.
Now that I have your attention, care to chime in?

Type 1 motor that's still in the car that needs the stock crankshaft pulley removed. The problem is the pulley wheel bolt is frozen tight and I have tried various methods with no good results. Soaked both sides of the pulley wheel with PB Blaster 3 days in a row with no help there.
The method of putting the trans in gear, locking down the brakes and giving the pulley nut a hard pull isn't working. Tried heating up the bolt with propane didn't help (no acetylene available). Removed the header for more room hoping that a shallow socket/impact would get in there, but not enough room for the impact gun because of the apron. Tried shoving a rod through the holes of the pulley wheel to lodge it, but that didn't work. Actually made the pulley non usable because of that method. I'm trying to NOT remove the motor, so I'm trying every method possible.

A machinist friend recommended this method, so I bring it up for discussion. Although the instructions are for tightening a pulley bolt, the idea is the same for loosening it. The link to the actual discussion is listed below.
Quote:
Pull #1 plug

Turn engine by hand and stick the dip stick down the hole to feel the top of the piston and make sure it is down.

Take some clothes line or soft rope and put it down in#1 hole and turn the engine over by hand and the rope will lock up the motor.

Tighten the crank bolt and then back up the engine by hand. I grab the fan.

Take out the line .

Put back the plug.

Easy old school trick works every time.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/archive/index.php?t-7709.html

By reading the discussion on that particular page, I do know to NOT insert all of the rope; have to leave some out so it can be pulled out of the cylinder. There was also discussion on excessive pressure on the bearings that I wonder about also.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Yes this is a very old school trick. It is also used to replace the valve springs while the head is still on the engine.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

maybe try the starter trick?

pry bar resting against the ground or a jack stand, bump the starter and it loosens it for you....just make sure you get the pry bar positioned correctly Smile
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

When I ask my Wife for a quickie, she goes out to the garage and pulls the motor out of the car. Yeah, she's a keeper.

JK.. it's really and easy task you should get used to.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Do you have a mig welder?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I do! Now you have me curious. What do you do with a mig welder to help get the stuck pulley bolt loosened?
I might learn something new here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
modok wrote:

I do! Now you have me curious. What do you do with a mig welder to help get the stuck pulley bolt loosened?
I might learn something new here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make something like this maybe?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

I've used the rope truck before on various occasions for different vehicles and it always works
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

The way I remove the bolt from most engines, in car, is I use a "manual impact wrench'. take a 6 point socket, weld on a 6-7" length of square tube, at least 1", perhaps 1 1/8, or could use some heavy c-channel.
As perpendicular as possible given space constraints. 2-4lb hammer. Dead blow works well but not soft faced. They do make such a wrench designed to be hammered on for axle nuts, could find a pic of those, same concept. Most breaker bars and wrenches are far too springy to work in this way, but if the tool is made rigid, it is easy to generate hundreds of foot pounds force with a hammer blow.

to tighten the bolt again, usually use chain vise grips on the pulley to hold it. Chain vise grips are not ideal for this, but will work ok, space the 'jaws" as wide as possible, and should hold 120 ft-lb certainly, without damaging the pulley. To use on powered metal gears or flat belt pulleys, wrap a old belt around it first.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

I like that flywheel lock. I'm suprised it hasnt been made by a chinese company.
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:

pry bar resting against the ground or a jack stand, bump the starter and it loosens it for you....just make sure you get the pry bar positioned correctly Smile

No do this but make sure you take a video.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

I would pull the rockers on the side you do it to so you can make sure the valves are closed.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Just curious, I'm getting up there in age, and don't have the greatest back. However, even if you had to pull the intakes, exhaust, and break the oil lines, it seems that time, and the chance of screwing something up are out weighed. Why don't you want to drop the engine?. With it on the ground, and using a flywheel lock, you would have many methods at your disposal.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
suicidedoordavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice folks. I got the pulley wheel off.

Quote:

pry bar resting against the ground or a jack stand, bump the starter and it loosens it for you....just make sure you get the pry bar positioned correctly

Tried this, and no I didn't get a chance to video it. Tried spinning the starter over a few times and evidently the starter isn't strong enough to unlock the pulley wheel nut. Seeing is that this bolt should only have been torqued 40 lbs, I think someone with an imact gun went hard on it when they last tightened it.

Quote:

No.

Quote:
Just curious, I'm getting up there in age, and don't have the greatest back. However, even if you had to pull the intakes, exhaust, and break the oil lines, it seems that time, and the chance of screwing something up are out weighed. Why don't you want to drop the engine?. With it on the ground, and using a flywheel lock, you would have many methods at your disposal.

Yeah, after thinking about how long it would take to remove the dual carbs, wires, and fight with wiggling it out, that option would be a bit quicker than trying out the rope scenario, hoping that it would do the trick and not succeed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the motor sitting on the ATV jack all the way down, I just needed to get the car up another notch on the stands in order to directly get a imact on it. Decided to try my impact on my air compressor (it's worn down a bit) with 120 psi one last time, and wouldn't ya know the bolt came zinging off in less than 4 seconds!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Sometimes we got to bite the bullet. I see that you have a HF jack. I made some mods to mine to make life easier. If you want to see it.let me know.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rope stuffed in cylinder locking motor tight.. works? Reply with quote

Make sure you're getting the rope into a cylinder as it is coming to TDC on the compression stroke, or else you might end up bending a valve.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: