Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX 2.1 cylinder head studs to crankcase torque
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: WBX 2.1 cylinder head studs to crankcase torque Reply with quote

Hi,
I can't find WBX 2.1 cylinder head studs to crankcase torque.
Does somebody know the numbers? It is MV engine and will have 9.0:1 CR.
I know the cylinder head studs nuts torques and sequence.

Thx
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: WBX 2.1 cylinder head studs to crankcase torque Reply with quote

If you're asking about setting studs, no particular torque is specified, just run them in 'til the stud root threads are all in the hole, then just snug. 10ft.lb. would be plenty if you insist on measuring.

Torque specs are a proxy for fastener tension. Since running a stud in doesn't place the stud under any tension, the torque to seat isn't relevant, just ensuring the stud has the maximum amount of thread engagement for physical strength is what matters, making sure that the effective length allows full thread engagement as well with the nut that will go on the other end. The latter means that if you need to back a stud out of a hole a bit to ensure full engagement of the nut on final assembly, that's OK to do. When the final nut is a capnut, though, as it is on the wbx head nuts, you of course have to make sure the stud won't bottom in the nut on final assembly, either.

I would use an aluminum anti-seize paste on the root threads, to make installation smoother, plus might make future removal easier if it were ever necessary.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX 2.1 cylinder head studs to crankcase torque Reply with quote

Thanks Tencentlife!

Finally I have done the work today and happily as You said Tencentlife - no torque, paste to run easier and each stud went in for 17 full rotations what gave me enough to hide stud crankcase end and at the same time to have enough threads for nuts keeping some freedome between stud and dome of the nut.

Finally I have deck height between 0.17 - 0.21.
I know it is not perfect, but 0.04 mm doesn't seem to be a lot.
I'm still not convienced with my cylinder head liner gaskets (Elring set, 1.12 mm height) as they are going to make my compression ratio a little bot too low.

With my stroke, cyl. diameter, piston and head combustion volume, deck height and liner I'm going to get around 8.71 static CR (7.96 dynamic CR with intake closing at 42o ABDC). I was planning to get around static CR 9.0.

Maybe I will ask the machine shop to get those gaskets resurfaced from 1.12 to around 0.7 what would give me around 9.05:1 static CR (8.27:1 dynamic CR).

All sounds interesting - I will see.

Cheers Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: