Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dickz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

1980 air-cooled with 62,000 miles. On a recent 3000 mile trip, points and condenser needed to be changed once and then the points readjusted a second time. Both VW shops that specialize in air-cooled suggested converting to electronic ignition. Now that I am home, trying to decide which way to go.

Did a search, but all the info seems old and conflicting. Seems the Petronix has mixed reviews. Has anyone used the Hot-Spark system? How about the Crane xr700 system (saw one old comment)?

Would welcome any thoughts, experience, suggestions.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

I would avoid the aftermarket complete electronic distributor kits on the market advertised as having the correct advance curve w/vacuum advance actuators. They're Chinese Bosch copies that entirely lack the proper internal shaft bushing arrangements. I recently serviced an '80 van with 30k on a new engine with one of those distributors and the rotor was wobbling all around so much that you could see the cap rocking back and forth. Complete junk. I think I would look for the ignition setup from a 1.9L WBX which is simple and stand alone managed.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
NobyDoby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

If you have the $$, you could put in a programmable 123Ignition with vacuum connection. You can program every curve you want and finetune it specific to your engine.
Original VW CU Bus Hydro Cam w/Febi Hydro Followers
Dual Dellorto's DRLA 40 - 32 Venturi's
SyncLink Throttle System
MSS Central Airfilter
123Ignition Tune & NGK BP6ET
Vintage Speed Dual Side Super Flow Type 4 Exhaust
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

Hey Noby

I may been the poster you came across referring to the CranesCam. Not sure but I have come across very few with this in. Mine came with the van 13 years ago when I purchased it and I have never had and issue. I even changed out my dist with a SVDA so reinstalled it and again havent touched it since. If you can still find one I recommend it. Otherwise in my opinion the most common is the Petronix.

Mine works awesome!

Pat
Dickz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses to date. I appreciate the inputs as I am trying to get the van reliable to avoid future problems. The 123 system certainly looks/seems great, but it is pricey. Revives are good though.

Thanks again.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 air cooled - convert to electronic ignition? Reply with quote

I used to drive a 914 for a work commute. The only time it let me down was when the Pertronix died. But the good thing about it was that it's a simple task to re-install the points which you will keep in your toolbox as a safety measure. If I still had a Type 4 motor I would be reluctant to change from points and condenser again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: