Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Anyone have an auto starter or automatic transmission lying around to post a template of the starter mounting flange?

Last edited by greebly on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dimensions of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Pretty please?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

you can buy them from westy ventures

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

I do - what cha looking for?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
Anyone have an auto starter or automatic transmission lying around to post a template of the starter mounting flange?

It is identical to a manual flange and goes way back in the VW lineage. No idea what your needs are.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

I need a template of either the mounting flange on the automatic transmission or the automatic transmission starter. Take a piece of cardboard and wet the surface of the transmission where the starter mounts up to. Or rub the cardboard to make an impression. Scan the impression 1/1 and post it here. Or if you have the automatic starter cut a hole in the cardboard to clear the bendix gear. Place cardbpoard over the starter flange and make an impression. Use a marker to accentuate the edge of the mounting flange and the mounting holes and please post it. If you are unable to insure a 1/1 ratio on the image you post please provide dimensions so that I can size it properly. Westy Ventures sells an adapter to mount a MANUAL TDI starter unto the Manual Vanagon transmission, they sell another adapter that allows a MANUAL TDI starter to be installed unto the Vanagon Automatic. I am sure they have the dimensions for both, but doubt they are willing to post it . What I need is the mounting flange for the auto starter.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
greebly wrote:

It is identical to a manual flange and goes way back in the VW lineage. No idea what your needs are.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438042&view=next
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Diagram removed, as requested by manufacturer of part

It looks like the difference between the two is just the thickness of the adapter. As I said the bolt patterns are going to be the same, going back for decades.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Template of the Automatic transmission starter mounting flange Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. . The reason I am asking is that xoOOoox posted that an automatic TDI starter could be used directly on the auto transmission by wallowing out the mounting holes slightly. I have obtained a TDI automatic starter and would like to machine the mounting holes prior to dropping the present starter so that if is just an R&R when I do it. My present starter acts like it is going to die when I attempt to start the 1.8T high compression engine when it is warm. I'll cleanup the OEM starter and throw it in the van as a spare.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: