Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I Sell the Bug...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I Sell It?
Yes, do it and get another.
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
No, keep working on the '67
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 37

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

I don't see how swapping one project for another gets you into a driving car any faster. Keep going with the '67 and prove to your parents that you have the attention span and the perseverance to actually finish what you started.

I agree with the above.

The 67 with no heater channels is a pile o parts, and selling parts takes a lot of time and energy. Time and energy that could be fixing the 67. Don't let your self be divided by selling parts to fund the other project and conquered when neither works out.
Get the body welding done, and worry about 67 correctness once the thing is a driver
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I think you all are right. I'll keep going on the '67.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

If your gonna switch to a 72 with foam rot (missing pan?), why not just find another 67 shell and make a decent car out of 2? That's basically what someone did with my 58 and 59 pan. In the end you'll end up with a 67 worth $3000 compared to a 72 worth $1500 for the same amount of effort.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I kind of want to keep the vins matching..
This is why I was mad at the '67 along with the floor...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I think that will buff out.
pops711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Keep the '67!!!! take a break from it for awhile or work on something else to get re-excited about it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Sell it/junk it. This kind of work takes a lot of time, money, and experience you do not have.

The 72 is not a better option

You need to find a dry running car, not a POS rusted and in pieces.

Others in this thread need to remember your situation. You have no money or experience. No time either if you want to be driving it when you turn 16 in 1-2 years I'm guessing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Sell it/junk it. This kind of work takes a lot of time, money, and experience you do not have.

The 72 is not a better option

You need to find a dry running car, not a POS rusted and in pieces.

Others in this thread need to remember your situation. You have no money or experience. No time either if you want to be driving it when you turn 16 in 1-2 years I'm guessing

Exactly. Stop buying others shitbox projects and look for a decent running car.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

OK - old guy warning....

Quote:
My lawn mowing jobs aren't going too well... I've noticed that every person in my neighborhood either uses the landscapers down the street or do it themselves so that kind of shoots that idea down Sad

Quote from Guy Kawasaki's lean startup book.

Question: I can't decide if I want to run my own business or go work for someone else in a safe 9-5 job..

Guy: You have already decided.

Very Happy

You can shoot down any good idea with attitude or defeatism.

Dont be afraid of walking up to someone mowing their lawn and asking for their business - a great conversation opener is asking them for a referral to anyone who might need help cutting their own lawn. Look them in the eye, keep cell phone out of site, be ready with a card, and remember the correct answer to "Thank you" is "You are welcome" - not "No Problem" or "NO worries"

Very Happy

It took me about 40 years to learn this. Now you are way ahead.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I haven't voted yet.

How much time and money have you already invested in the 67? Are you already invested in excess of your plan?

Do you have the skills to repair those rusted out sections properly?

Do you have reasonable access to the replacement parts?

Can you commit to a reasonable timeline for completion?

I can't tell how old you are or whether you're in school. If keeping the 67 could damage your efforts to pursue school, work, or relationships, then sell the 67.

No matter what you do, I would avoid the 71.
bryanvw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Some word from this guy that knows your dad... and if you want me to swing down one afternoon in the next few weeks and give some honest opinions, let me know.

But I look at it like this... finding rust or mistakes you want to correct makes you angry and want to move on, thats natural. I can tell you from experience, I had a 66 Mustang project I spent so long on trying to make something perfect for the shows, 5 speed conversion, cobra motor, it was going to be sweet... but I spent so much time going for perfect I lost interest and sold it.

The VW community is not like that, so I say do this...

1. Get the car structurally sound
2. Get the car mechanically sound
3. Put a plate on it
4. Enjoy

5. Pull a fender and fix the rust, knowing that you are a couple hours worth of work bolting the fender back on and enjoying the car again.
6. Pull another fender, primer a door, replaces the window seals, chip away at the work and know one day when you have the time and money you can take an hour or a winter and pull the body, send if off for paint.
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Bryan is dead on, leave some of the non critical issues and focus on getting it together and running, go back and fix that stuff later. You're young, the skills you will learn building this car will stick with you for the rest of your life.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I haven't voted yet.
How much time and money have you already invested in the 67? Are you already invested in excess of your plan?
Probably around $1500 plus the car give or take...
Do you have the skills to repair those rusted out sections properly?
I think I could do it, but I don't know if it would be very proper...
Do you have reasonable access to the replacement parts?
I'm looking at getting a donor body to cut up.
Can you commit to a reasonable timeline for completion? It's already been around two years, so why not.

bryanvw61 wrote:
Some word from this guy that knows your dad... and if you want me to swing down one afternoon in the next few weeks and give some honest opinions, let me know. That would be great!!
but I spent so much time going for perfect I lost interest and sold it.
That's how I'm starting to feel.

1. Get the car structurally sound
2. Get the car mechanically sound
3. Put a plate on it
4. Enjoy
5. Pull a fender and fix the rust, knowing that you are a couple hours worth of work bolting the fender back on and enjoying the car again.
6. Pull another fender, primer a door, replaces the window seals, chip away at the work and know one day when you have the time and money you can take an hour or a winter and pull the body, send if off for paint.

That sounds like a good plan... I've been set on getting a perfect car, I need to just stop that.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

In the world of wood project boats there are those with a hull up on stands that takes years to be perfect enough for the owner to sail (and typically causes significant other to get a divorce) and then there are the sailing projects that while not perfect get used and enjoyed and bit by bit get better.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I guess I will be the asshole in this thread.

Your 67 has severe rot and you cannot half ass the repair. By half ass, I mean you cannot use pop rivets or fiberglass and bondo. VW's are already death traps in accidents, do you really want to be driving around in one with structural rot?

IF you have a mentor with experience making the proper repairs, you could probably handle it, assuming you have access to the proper tools.

The tools required are not cheap...finding replacement metal is not cheap.

If you are hell bent on keeping it, see if a local body shop will hire you and you could do the repairs on the side/after hours.

I still recommend getting rid of it and starting with a clean car.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I've already been doing all the repairs with a welder... I haven't touched a thing of fiberglass or bondo yet. I don't like to cheap out on things.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Ok, good luck with it
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

AZOffTheWall wrote:
Bryan is dead on, leave some of the non critical issues and focus on getting it together and running, go back and fix that stuff later. You're young, the skills you will learn building this car will stick with you for the rest of your life.

When my oldest son was 16 (30 years ago), we picked up a clapped out '70 Camaro RS/SS as his first car. Together we repaired and fixed it until he had a kick-ass car. Years later, I reminded him of how much he had learned from the project. His reply--------"I learned that I want to make enough money that I never have to do that stuff again myself----I can pay somebody to do it"
On the other hand, his younger brother got a '70 VW convertible as a first car.
Well, actually, it wasn't a car but rather a rusty, engineless hulk that had been somebody's parts car. That boy got the "passion", did a stint with Rocky Mountain Motorworks, and to this day (25 years later) drives an Audi powered ( he did the conversion himself in the back yard) Vanagon Syncro every day.
So, I guess, if the original poster has the "passion" he should stick with it to an acceptable conclusion--------no matter which car he starts out with.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Ok, good luck with it

I bet you are looking at the same pics. I can see bondo that's been painted over and rust corrosion that's intergranular and exfoliating. This would require patch panels and hundreds of hours of rework. There is such a thing as the point of diminishing returns and this is a perfect example. It would be cheaper to start with a solid rust free car because they are still available at prices way cheaper than trying to repair a rusted POS.
Those advocating he keep throwing time and money into this shit hole are doing him a disservice. That's a fact
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
txoval wrote:
Ok, good luck with it

I bet you are looking at the same pics. I can see bondo that's been painted over and rust corrosion that's intergranular and exfoliating. This would require patch panels and hundreds of hours of rework. There is such a thing as the point of diminishing returns and this is a perfect example.

Wow. Look at the fancy words on Mr. Z. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: