Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I Sell the Bug...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I Sell It?
Yes, do it and get another.
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
No, keep working on the '67
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 37

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
txoval wrote:
Ok, good luck with it

I bet you are looking at the same pics. I can see bondo that's been painted over and rust corrosion that's intergranular and exfoliating. This would require patch panels and hundreds of hours of rework. There is such a thing as the point of diminishing returns and this is a perfect example.

Wow. Look at the fancy words on Mr. Z. Very Happy

Uh huh I can just see Mark squirming in his chair getting restless. Very Happy
Maybe I was right first time it will buff out.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Learn how to mig/tig while you're young. Turn's "rust" into "opportunity."
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Learn how to mig/tig while you're young. Turn's "rust" into "opportunity."
I'm pretty good at mig if I say so myself...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

You can never make enough money to pay for other people to do skilled work

How many of us gross 150 an hour to pay a net 100 hour labor rate? Not too many, I bet.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can never make enough money to pay for other people to do skilled work

How many of us gross 150 an hour to pay a net 100 hour labor rate? Not too many, I bet.

You are right, nobody can afford to hire anything done.
That's why we all represent ourselves in court; do our own dental work; perform our own appendectomies; drill our own wells; and, yes----------repair our own cars.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I think what too many people are not getting is the OP is 14 if I'm not mistaken with no means of income. While I applaud the "can do" attitude and crap everyone is tossing around, at some point common sense has to take over and realize that he is pretty far over his head. Being the father of 4, I am amazed at what he has accomplished at his age, but still it is obviously past his experience level. Unless he has a close family friend or family member that can donate time, experience and free parts, this is an effort in futility. Sell the car to someone that has the means to properly restore it. Save some money and buy a running, driving car that you fix up and learn on.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Sell it and buy something with a decent body that needs mechanical work. It is not economically viable to repair something like this when you are low on funds and don't have the skill set yet! All the costs of material it's just not worth it unless that particular car has sentimental value (bugs just aren't up there price wise yet!!) more solid cars are out there sell the project to someone who has the funds/skills!

I bought a late ghia - realized it was way to much work, sold it and was lucky enough to find a cheap + solid earlier car that just needed mechanical work. Far better for me (specially when I'm paying someone to do the work). Better still the person who bought my late ghia has got it on the road too - this means 2 cars have been saved versus the project which would have stayed in my garage for many years costing $$$.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

I'm not much in the know of the beetle world though I did own and sale a 65.
The 67 is where the money's at, the earlier bugs are and will be worth more money down the road and being a vehicle with one year only parts, it warrants more profitability when sold complete, in the future.
Keep trucking, little by little, you get it dude.
Be careful with multiple projects, it DOES get overwhelming.
You can do man, stick to your original plans and see it through, you'll be amazed what your diligence and stubbornness will do for your pride when its completed.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Yep you are qualified to dispense advice. LOL 😂
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

We'll see the problem is if I sell the bug then I can't afford another one. I'm pretty sure I can fix this, but I don't know.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
We'll see the problem is if I sell the bug then I can't afford another one. I'm pretty sure I can fix this, but I don't know.

Only one way to find out!
Get after it man!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

In all honesty with the level of rust shown, sell it. Save your money and add to it and look for something more solid. A later model bug is a good choice as parts are cheaper and easier to get and the ride is better suited to modern cars with the IRS suspension. Learn to work on the new car and another earlier one will come your way. Don't frustrate yourself with something that needs a lot of money when you have none coming in. Get a ride and enjoy it. Let the love grow and get another one later.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I'm pretty sure I can fix this, but I don't know.

Hey this sounds just like a politician.... Very Happy
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Yep you are qualified to dispense advice. LOL 😂

I think that's like the Holiday Inn commercials...

boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Sell what you have and bank the money (and more in future) in order to purchase a solid running VW at a later date. They are no fun but this is one of those 'life's lessons learned' that your folks will tell you about. We have all experienced them in one way or another.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

That seems like what this is turning to... I tried taking a look at the corners and it's all seam sealer and undercoating.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

A few more pictures... still think I might sell it. I'm gonna have someone come down and look at it first though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

This just goes to show the value of really inspecting/assessing a project before jumping in headfirst. Hate to rub salt in your wounds, but you would have saved yourself a fair amount of work has you separated the body and pan and had it all blasted first. Now you have time, money and material wrapped up into this hulk. Don't take it as a downer, but learn from it and better know what to look for next time. I know it was a gift, but taking a probe and magnet with you when inspecting cars gives you a better idea of what you're getting yourself into. With knowledge of the condition, you can take that home and come up with a rough guesstimate on total costs for the project. Then take that figure and double it as I've found that's about right most times😂

Good luck whichever direction you go.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Yeah, this really wasn't going to be a huge project until I saw it needed pans and channels. Know I should get it sandblasted, but don't know if I should keep going. I think I'm gonna try and sell it with all the parts I've got with it and get a different one. I emailed the guys at the 1967 beetle website and they said it would be financially better to sell it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Should I Sell the Bug... Reply with quote

Good luck with the sell if you go that route...it will be tough. The bad part is I do not see you getting more than $500, if that. Granted, I have no idea what parts you have...may be better to part out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: