Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

So I have 1970 Bus with the old school Pierburg Fuel pump. It started seeping gas on the top cover. The little rubber gasket that the top screws down onto the upper body of the pump was wrinkled up. I got the rebuild kit and made the repair and redid the entire pump. So next I reinstall the pump and hoses. Within a week that braided hose was smelling of gas and you could tell it was getting wet. Traded that out for a new braided hose. 1 week same deal. I found some fuel injection hose with the fancy rubber inner liner but the hose is a wee bit big and even clamped down I didn't like it. So now I am pulling the hose out and the outlet pipe on the pump comes rightout. I guess it was just pressed in.

I elected to try JB Marine Weld. Just a thin smear and pressed it back in. Put a dab around the pipe and the body of the pump for a good seal. You think this will work?

Ordered some fuel hose from Voltzboltz that seems to be the best hose for VWs and I ordered it. Anybody have experience with Codan SAE J30 R9 hose at the 5.6 mm size?

Hose will not get here for a while. Coming from the UK. Found some Autocraft fuel hose 4.7mm size. J30R7. Thinking about using this for a few weeks until the good hose arrives. Anybody think this hose is worth a try or should I sit tight for couple of weeks?

been frustrating. Just want to take a cruise so bad. Something so simple is being a pain Evil or Very Mad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

Clean the inside and outside of the hose fitting and get it dry before applying the JB Weld. Its great with gasoline and for filling dental caries, too.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

you might consider safety wiring the carb inlet as well- nothing worse than a fuel line playing sprinkler with a generator/alt. Embarassed

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Anybody have experience with Codan SAE J30 R9 hose at the 5.6 mm size?

Never heard of them or it, but I did get some hose from an Ebay seller called Silicone hose world and/or Advanced fluid technologies out of the UK a few years ago and was less than impressed, the pic below shows what it did after a few months. Just because the factory in China print's an SAE spec on the hose doesn't mean it's the real deal Evil or Very Mad

I use 1/4 barrier FI hose from my FLAPS (J30R9), it squeezes down onto the fittings with good FI clamps and has been doing it's job for more years than I should admit, no slipping, leakage or cracks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
you might consider safety wiring the carb inlet as well- nothing worse than a fuel line playing sprinkler with a generator/alt. Embarassed

That one is solid. I had the carb rebuilt by Tim from Volksbits and he put in one of those screwed barbed inlets. Safety wire....now that is just a piece of wire from a screw on the carb top to the inlet pipe? Picture hanging wire do the job?
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Colonel Mosby wrote:
Anybody have experience with Codan SAE J30 R9 hose at the 5.6 mm size?

Never heard of them or it, but I did get some hose from an Ebay seller called Silicone hose world and/or Advanced fluid technologies out of the UK a few years ago and was less than impressed, the pic below shows what it did after a few months. Just because the factory in China print's an SAE spec on the hose doesn't mean it's the real deal Evil or Very Mad

I use 1/4 barrier FI hose from my FLAPS (J30R9), it squeezes down onto the fittings with good FI clamps and has been doing it's job for more years than I should admit, no slipping, leakage or cracks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well if it works for busdaddy then I know it is a go. Going to put that FI hose back on until my fancy hose from the UK arrives.
I got the clamps that are a band style without the little groves in the band. It has a screw that seems to tighten uniformly without making an oval. Going to try them out just picked them up. Other bands I use seem to chaffe the hose.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
williamM wrote:

That one is solid. I had the carb rebuilt by Tim from Volksbits and he put in one of those screwed barbed inlets. Safety wire....now that is just a piece of wire from a screw on the carb top to the inlet pipe? Picture hanging wire do the job?

I think you are already using the preferred fix. Really no need for the safety wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Hoses...I am feeling hosed. Reply with quote

If there is enough meat around the fitting you should be able to use a 1/16 NPT to hose adapter, probably that is what Voltzboltz used on the carb. He might well be able to supply you with another fitting for the pump, they are a bit hard to find otherwise.

You can get 3/16" Gates Barricade 30r14 hose, which will be a good fit on the carb and the fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: