Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Besides proper clamps, there is a proper hose to be used with fuel injection. I run a CB FI/Turbo system, and at idle produces 45-50 lbs fuel pressure. When you buy fuel hose, they should ask you NA or FI along with the size and length.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Anybody tried to put some sort of bubble flare on the end of a straight metal line to give the hose a little more resistance to removal? Seems as though the newer ethanol approved hoses (r7 or r9) have a smoother inside such that they can be removed or twisted by hand on the metal line, even when tightened with the FI style clamps. This is with the correct size hose/metal line
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I use the band style/fuel injection clamps. If you get the right size for your hose, they will not be over tightened. I also use fuel injection hose, way more expensive, but holds up great.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Anybody tried to put some sort of bubble flare on the end of a straight metal line to give the hose a little more resistance to removal? Seems as though the newer ethanol approved hoses (r7 or r9) have a smoother inside such that they can be removed or twisted by hand on the metal line, even when tightened with the FI style clamps. This is with the correct size hose/metal line

Yes, IF I'm not doing hard lines, which I almost always do no that I have a lot of tooling for it I put the tube in the flare tool about a 1/16" proud and flare that little bit, makes a huge difference. Make sure the edges are smooth though or you'll gouge up the hose getting it on.

brad
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

What's NOT mentioned is how to REMOVE the German braided fuel line of the carb or pump. Too many people YANK it off the inlet/outlet pipes on the carbs and fuel pumps. All the clamps in the world won't help when the pipe comes out or falls out of the pump or carb from that. Also, bonus points for hanging a heavy fuel filter between the pump and carb. Laughing

Yes, some folks will wire the fuel line clamp to a screw on the carb or pump to help insure the pipes don't fall off. However, simply using a razor blade to cut the fuel hose length wise when removing it will help tremendously as well. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hose Clamps on Fuel Lines Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
What's NOT mentioned is how to REMOVE the German braided fuel line of the carb or pump. Too many people YANK it off the inlet/outlet pipes on the carbs and fuel pumps. All the clamps in the world won't help when the pipe comes out or falls out of the pump or carb from that. Also, bonus points for hanging a heavy fuel filter between the pump and carb. Laughing

Yes, some folks will wire the fuel line clamp to a screw on the carb or pump to help insure the pipes don't fall off. However, simply using a razor blade to cut the fuel hose length wise when removing it will help tremendously as well. Wink

The thing is you don't know what the P.O. did to remove the hose, that's why you safety wire them?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: