Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gone Gapless!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

So, I'm on my merry way home from work cruising at the prescribed 75 when all of a sudden BOOM!!! Shocked

Engine just up and quit! Lights are on, radio works, it cranks even but no start! So I coast my arse to the side of the freeway. Man, you don't really know how FAST is the traffic going until you are sitting just inches from it!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, figuring it has to be some electrical issue I look at all the wires to the coil but everything seems okay. Having the sun on my back and sitting on the side of the freeway, decided that this was not the place to try to find/fix anything. Called my trusty towing partner, the triple-A, to take me home just about 5 miles away. Cool

Once home, I had it dropped on the street since I am working on that dreaded RED bus that doesn't seem to want to leave my place and it is in front of the Garaj Mahal so I can't get the Dormy out. I then get the RED bus out of the way and get the Dormy ready. At this point I was about to ask my neighbor for help pushing the bug into the garage but decided to take another look now that I'm NOT on the side of the road. All seem good until I pop the distributor cap. I noticed the points were closed, totally closed! Okay, just worn out a bit I think. After adjusting it as far I it went they were still closed! WTF? So I take them off and find the real issue here:

Go search in my YUGE stash of parts'N'junk and find a used set. Sand the contacts off, install it, set the gap and BAM! It fires right up! The bitch!

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Hopefully you lubed them. I had that happen to me in my old DC. it was dark going to work and bam quit running. I popped the cap and sparked the points by hand and had fire? once it got light out I could see the problem. So I put in my spare dist and away I went. The worst part of the story is my wife was following a little behind me but it was so foggy she missed seeing me on the side of the road. LOL
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

I have not yet ever had a points rubbing block break off; yes, I do lube it.

That said: I do carry a spare set of points in my trunk, at least in my 1971.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

After running strangely when I first got my current bug, I popped off the distributor cap and saw that the black point's spring was broken in two. Got Bosch points and installed them.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Any reason to use points these days apart from it being a legacy thing or wanting ignition retard on no.3 cylinder (pre-doghouse). Installing a Lumenition magnetronic system or other internal distributor kit is so easy and cheap and does not show in the engine bay - maintenance free and no loss of ignition performance over time.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
Any reason to use points these days apart from it being a legacy thing or wanting ignition retard on no.3 cylinder (pre-doghouse). Installing a Lumenition magnetronic system or other internal distributor kit is so easy and cheap and does not show in the engine bay - maintenance free and no loss of ignition performance over time.

I don't because I could buy 8-9 sets of points for the cost of a module. And I've had a module fail that needed replacement on the spot to drive away. (I had points fail that only brought down fuel economy by 5mpg, no other issues.) My points sets go about 10k miles between adjustments, and about 30k miles before I replace them.

So I don't use the module because it's not cost effective. Even if I get a 2mpg boost, it will still be decades before I see the ROU necessary to justify the purchase.

But that's just like, my opinion, man. If you want to go electronic, go electronic!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

My neighbors new 1967 Oldsmobile got towed home one day.......one of the tungsten contacts fell off the points.......never, to this day, have I seen that happen again.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
Any reason to use points these days apart from it being a legacy thing...

I don't think mega sun spot bursts or electronic beams from Satellites can shut down points but electronic ignition is the boogie man's best friend. Jus' sayin.

Half in jest fellows, have some fun with Big Brother would ya? My neighbor has an old Honda ATC three wheeler running on points and I'm pretty sure its so he has something that starts after the Zombipocalypse. I'll have my slammed Super Duper. Twisted Evil
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

I intend to get a Pertronix for it coming up. This motor had been and is running pretty good as is, so I had no need to do it just yet. Also have a Pertronix in the Truehaf diz for the Dormy and I had posted in the performance forum about the Compu-fire I ran in the Bug which made the thacometer go wild and crazy. Confused

Used to have a "ready-to-swap-clamped" diz in the trunk but working on other motors on the stand I had used it. Finally, even with that, working on the side of the freeway is not my cup of tea. Iffin I had enough momentum to roll off the freeway it'd been a bit of a different story. Cool
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Ive seen somany the were dry or the rong lube was used, or the lobes were rusted and killing the rubbing block. as far as gapless, thats a good way to go on rings and electronic ignition.just be sure to read the instructions...and follow the instructions. Wink
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Instructions???? Shocked I don't even know how to read! Hell, it's a miracle I managed to somewhat understand what you attempt to write! Laughing
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

There have been quite a few posts about new Bosch points failing in this way as of late. Heck, they won't even put their logo on them anymore Embarassed . Points can still be very reliable but they do require periodic maintenance. If you've done it before its not really a hassle. I'd shop for NOS Bosch over new and even go with USA made NOS points over the new Bosch. as far as Mr. Tucker goes, He's on my ignore list so I can't see what he tries to write anymore. Makes my Samba life a bit more pleasant.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Points tend to be pretty reliable especially if your condenser is good and you keep the distributor cam lubed.

The real good news is that spare points & condenser are small and easy to keep in your travel spares kit or glove box.

With any kind of ignition shutdown situation like what you had, that would be one of the first things to check - pop off distributor cap and check points.

With 5 min of work at the side of the road you could have saved yourself a tow. But hey now you know for next time.

And yes even if you get a Pertronix, do carry a spare set of points & condenser in your kit for when the Pertronix takes a shit.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
With 5 min of work at the side of the road you could have saved yourself a tow. But hey now you know for next time.

And yes even if you get a Pertronix, do carry a spare set of points & condenser in your kit for when the Pertronix takes a shit.

While that's true, again, it isn't worth risking it all on the side of the freeway! Matter'O'factly recently the accelerator cable came loose on the Dormy while cruising on the left lane. Had enough momentum to coast to the nearest exit and though I didn't make it all the way off, at least it was on the off ramp so it was much safer to fix the issue there. No tow needed that time. Cool
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Napa Echlin points are the only points that last long enough to be considered worth of the Volkswagen heritage. They even come with a pill of cam grease so you don't have to buy a gallon jog of Bosch grease.

They make a set for all types of VW distributors, but you have to order them by model year that your distributor would have come with.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

While that's true, again, it isn't worth risking it all on the side of the freeway!

5 minutes on the side of the freeway replacing your points or 1.5 hours on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow. Pick your poison! As for me, the sooner i can get out of there, the better.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Having a rub block break off, is a once in multiple peoples lifetime occurrence. The most common problem with points is that the rub block does wear over time. This closes the gap, changes the timing, and eventually causes a no start situation. However, a quick turn of a screwdriver will get you home. When they 1st came out, I bit the Pertronix bug. Especially for my Baja, you don't want to be in the middle of no-where and have a failure. Yet failure reared its ugly head and the module failed. The problem is that when a module fails YOU ARE STRANDED. It's even worse then your situation. I'm not saying that it would have been nice, but you could have walked, thumbed a ride to the nearest flaps, got new points, and be heading down the road. When you lose a module, where can you get one, and how long will it take? I've had points and condenser issues, but I was still able to limp home, but when a module fails, you are DOA. I have three VWs, I now carry extra points and condensers in two, in the Baja, a complete, timed distributer. For me the last straw was losing a module 2 miles from home. No one was there, so I walked home, grabbed my truck and tow bar, pulled the bug home and switched back to points.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

This was thread has become just like the infamous points vs pertronix debate from several years ago. It went on over 30 pages. I just bumped it up to top of the list on performance forum.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Having a rub block break off, is a once in multiple peoples lifetime occurrence.

I started this thread precisely because in my 30 plus years driving these aircooled vehicles I've never had this happen before. AND just about everything that can happen to them, I've been through at least twice! Laughing

Also, I've been told as I am buying the Pertronix "Once you install it, DO NOT throw the box away! Take the points and condenser you just removed, place them in the box, and keep it in the vehicle!" Wink

Don't know about the "expressways" in Brooklyn but on the freeways here and especially during rush hour, these modefukers fly right past you too close, not paying attention and even on their damn phones! Evil or Very Mad

I've done plenty of roadside reapirs and/or mcgyvers. However, that being on the "right" roads or clear off them. But hey, to each his own. Confused
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gone Gapless! Reply with quote

I run only NOS Bosch points and condensers in my personal VWs. The ones made in Germany in the 60's and 70's. They've never let me down and I do grease them with Bosch grease.

I LOVE the idea of the modules but too many people I know have had them fail, even with them installed perfectly.

I agree with the OP too. I don't want to risk my life working on the side of a busy freeway. My then new to me bus had the rocker pin fall out of the craptastic cheap fuel pump. The engine died and I coasted off to the side of the freeway. I waited for the tow truck far away from the van. I have no desire to get rear ended by a distracted driver.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: