Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

I know something is supposed to be here but not sure what.

It's a 1999 EV GLS with the AES VR6.

The empty space:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think what ever is missing plugs into this harness:

Any info would be helpful

The van does run in case anyone is wondering.
tkbartscherer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Cooling Fan Relay.

Those connectors go to the fans and the relay mounts to the support behind the headlight.

I don't see how you would have functioning radiator fans without it. Be careful not to overheat at idle.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

You're missing the fan control relay.

PN 701 919 506 A -- on my 2002 (probably the same or similar on yours).
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers everyone.

The van runs but I haven't driven it since I brought it since it had flat tires. But I've been running it to keep the battery charged a for about 20 minutes every week.
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

That is not something you want to do without functioning cooling fans. Suggest you don't until you have replaced that relay and checked the fans are cutting in, otherwise you may boil it (if you haven't already).
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

you missing the battery box cover as well, and trust me - it's bad juju to go for long w/out that. Water and corrosion will get down into the ECU wiring harness and all sorts of bad things..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Quote:
not something you want to do without function cooling fans

Yeah - if I had known the electric fans were not turning on at all I probably would have just kept the battery on a trickle charger.

Quote:
Missing the battery box cover as well

Noted.

This was literally a tow yard find for about 800 - so I assumed that there would be problems/missing parts. I had seen other pictures (possibly of different years) were there would be a small box mounted in front of the battery (maybe a fuse block for the additional battery on the weekender?) which is why I posted the question.

Is that relay on other VW's? I'm hoping to replace it on the cheap - if I can get if off another vehicle in a wrecking yard I will. 150 for a new one is outside of the budget right now.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Should be available on any eurovan -- perhaps another junkyard find or search the classifieds here. Lots of spare van parts floating around.

If you want to try the "cheaper" alternative:

https://www.hansautoparts.com/701919506AElectricFanControlUnit.aspx
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Should be available on any eurovan -- perhaps another junkyard find or search the classifieds here. Lots of spare van parts floating around.

If you want to try the "cheaper" alternative:

https://www.hansautoparts.com/701919506AElectricFanControlUnit.aspx

I did see that there were cheap aftermarket ones on Alibaba. at 10% of the price as a vw/audi branded one I'd be worried about it failing early or catastrophically failing. I'd rather my van not catch fire because I'm on a budget.
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the 'cheaper' alternative? How did it work out?
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Since your into it for only $800 -- I say go ahead and try the cheap one. If it doesn't work or doesn't fit, try the next one, and so on. You're letting the van sit as it is anyways, so I don't think the time is critical -- and best of all this is an easy to-get-to part to replace. I once bought the cheaper version of a throw out bearing -- and I had second thoughts because I don't want to do that job again if it fails.

Or -- look for a junkyard van or somebody local who is parting out a van and pick up an oem relay and any other parts you might be needing. I think this is better and more fruitful as you might find there are other things the van needs.
Phantomotaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

So an update and an invitation to play round two!

Ordered the cheap fcm from China. I plugged it in and... Nothing.
A little more research lead me to the fan resistors. So I crawled under and of course they were so corroded that the copper that was supposed to be there just wasn't.

So ordered some moderately priced replacements and now my fans are running.

So now on to round two:

Mystery blue connector:

I think this one has something to do with the heater core (which is currently bypassed). But I can't find anything that it should plug into.

Next is this:

Looks like a breather of some sort? Also it looks like it's broken?

Again, any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's play the "What's Missing From the Engine Bay" game! '99 EV Reply with quote

Take a close look at the photos in this wiki article:
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Heater_Hose_Tee

I can't tell how much of the heater hose stack you have reconstructed because your fingers are in the way, but starting at the top there should be a curved bit of hose with the pesky bleeder screw in it, then just below that is a 4-way fitting with three hose attachments and a sensor. Your connector is supposed to attach to that sensor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: