Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

picture hosting - Photobucket sux
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Just noticed that Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting. So now billions of pictures in forums are dead.

What's a good free hosting site?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

There's imageshack, I've never used anything but the samba gallery though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I have my own domain but uploading is difficult from a smart phone. I also post on other sites.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

http://imgur.com is super popular on Reddit (4th largest site in USA), is free, and I think they have an App too.

If you upload there, make sure you post your pics as "private" so you don't get morons posting comments.
Private just mean it doesn't appear on imgur for everyone to see, you can still link to them everywhere.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

yea...this is b/s

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

300 a year? not gonna happen. all of my builds are now broken links here and on other forums.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Giving a service away for free is not a sustainable business model. I'm surprised it took them this long.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Giving a service away for free is not a sustainable business model. I'm surprised it took them this long.

I understand that...I paid for the ad free b.s. and would have gladly paid a REASONABLE amount per year...300/year is fucking extortion. FWIW I am only at 3% of my "allotted" free space....

guess it's time to find another alternative....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

skillz, it's $39.99/mo or "discounted rate" of $399.99/year, not $300.

i said "f off" tp photo phuckit years ago. they've been sucking for way too long. i've been using flikr with good success.

this is what skillz and i have to say about it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by hazetguy on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I have 20GB of server space and pay $80/yr.

It's just that i have to FTP the pictures and want a easy app to do it from the phone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I use smugmug. Basic plan is $50 a year. Decent app. Nice interface. I'm happy with it.
https://www.smugmug.com/

F*ck photobucket
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I simply post directly here on the Samba
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I have been using google drive.. seeing as everything is connected to my google account.. any photo or document it automatically uploaded to google drive and i can access from any computer or smart phone
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Test...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

OK... seems like IMGUR works the same as Photobucket. Drop and drag in a PC and a decent smartphone app.

So i'll be abandoning PB, just as soon as I download all my pictures there and delete my account.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

glenn, do you like it? I was looking at flickr myself.

this has to be a huge ass ache for forums all over....I know I'm not the only one but man, lot's of my build threads/how to's are dead.

photobucket did a fantastic job leaving the internet a wasteland....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
glenn, do you like it? I was looking at flickr myself.

Flickr does a great job of turning all your images into clickable links that take you back to Flickr. It's annoying as hell when you want to click an image to see it full size and it takes you to a landing page, just like Photobucket… Hmmm………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

It's just that i have to FTP the pictures and want a easy app to do it from the phone.

In windows you can FTP directly from the windows explorer where you browse files. You just type the address there just as you would in a browser.

If you have an Office 365 account you could post them to your one drive/sharepoint. You could then set the access level to anyone and link to them there. I've not tried it but should work.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Glenn wrote:

In windows you can FTP directly from the windows explorer where you browse files. You just type the address there just as you would in a browser.

Make sure you are doing SFTP. This is not native in Explorer last I checked but it looks there is a product called Swish (and maybe others) that adds this functionality.

I'm sure there are Apps to FTP/SFTP from your phone to a server too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Flickr does a great job of turning all your images into clickable links that take you back to Flickr. It's annoying as hell when you want to click an image to see it full size and it takes you to a landing page, just like Photobucket… Hmmm………

Flickr easily allows you to choose photo sizes to post, which is quite convenient. The image code you copy automatically inserts a link-back, which appears under each photo you post... I just delete that portion.

hazetguy wrote:
skillz, it's $39.99/mo or "discounted rate" of $399.99/year, not $300.

There are multiple tier levels. If you wish to use Photobucket for posting photos on forums, blogs, eBay, etc., you must pay the $399 fee; all of the cheaper tiers no longer not allow it. Evil or Very Mad :fist:

A good majority of the images I have on PB are stored elsewhere, but there are many that are not, which I've been trying to download before PB goes bankrupt for good. A real chore because their stupid site is not following through with album downloads (after having to deal with their infuriating CAPTCHA), which means individual image downloading. Evil or Very Mad

Photobucket is getting hammered all over the Internet, including their Facebook site, over this extortionist ploy.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

$400/year makes no sense to me. Maybe they're hoping to drop the price to something reasonable in the near future and everyone will come flocking back. Risky idea though..

Outside of the ACVW world, I have a LOT of motorcycle related builds documented - all image hosting via PB because it was easy. No longer I guess, like above I'm going to download my albums and move everything. I'll never be able to fix everything - oh well!

Their site has also been impossibly slow the past couple days..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: