Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

picture hosting - Photobucket sux
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I don't seem to be having a problem with all my linked pictures in photo bucket. Wonder what's up with that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

A good majority of the images I have on PB are stored elsewhere, but there are many that are not, which I've been trying to download before PB goes bankrupt for good. A real chore because their stupid site is not following through with album downloads (after having to deal with their infuriating CAPTCHA), which means individual image downloading. Evil or Very Mad

Photobucket is getting hammered all over the Internet, including their Facebook site, over this extortionist ploy.

yep...same here. I was finally able to get my "bucket" downloaded into a zip file....which is a pain as you have to go thru and look at every image..(no photo preview) but at least I have them

I still have a few folders to get out. but between the stupid captcha and playing fucking whack-a-mole with pop ups, the site freezes/crashes and needs to be recovered.

I think I would pay up to 50/year for the use...ad free but they are after a huge money grab. I am sure other free sites are getting overloaded as well...total dick move PB has pulled....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I have 20GB of server space and pay $80/yr.

It's just that i have to FTP the pictures and want a easy app to do it from the phone.

In windows you can FTP directly from the windows explorer where you browse files. You just type the address there just as you would in a browser.

Make sure you are doing SFTP. This is not native in Explorer last I checked but it looks there is a product called Swish (and maybe others) that adds this functionality.

I'm sure there are Apps to FTP/SFTP from your phone to a server too.

I've used WinSCP for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I have 20GB of server space and pay $80/yr.

It's just that i have to FTP the pictures and want a easy app to do it from the phone.

If pages are allowed for that site you can put an upload page there. Then whenever you want to upload a picture to your site goto your page and click upload. I'd password protect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Remember to upload your VW-related photos to this site, so similar does not happen again.

I'm in the process of saving my photos from Photobucket, and that's a pain. Actually, there entire site has always been a pain. Then I'll find somewhere else. Too bad, on non-VW sites I had done some decent how-to's, their photos will be lost....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

The pop ups on that site are ridiculous.. it's like America Online in the late 90s.

Got most of my stuff downloaded this morning - at least I have a copy of everything now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

testing smugmug

seems to be pretty easy to navigate. about 60/year for the basic plan. uploads FAST and no whack-a-mole b/s with pop ups like photobucket....

anyone else use smugmug? I would gladly give them the $$$

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
I don't seem to be having a problem with all my linked pictures in photo bucket. Wonder what's up with that...

Yes, it does appear that PB may have backed off from there recent move -- but they have lost me anyway. I was at the point of not liking them and now I don't trust them.
cleatusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I don't think they have got to all accounts yet.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

At times like these I feel pretty good about having some cheap webhosting, and not worrying about the whims of corporate-owned photo sharing services.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I don't even understand the point of photo-hosting services. I keep all my digital files on hard drives (and negatives in sleeves Wink ) and always have access to them — no internet disruption or corporate decision can stop that.
I've never come across a forum or web service that doesn't allow me to upload directly from my computer. Why bother with the middle man?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Photobucket has overnight wrecked billions of images across the Internet all around the globe. Without warning, suddenly people are greeted with this image where their pictures used to be in their forum threads and blogs

You are told that you need to upgrade to a Plus 500 account at $399 payable now in full up front if you want your images to have live preview posts again. Needless to say this is not going well for photobucket. Just look at their facebook and twitter and scroll through all the angry responses. There are even people who have paid (foolishly in my opinion) the $399 and still have not had their functionality restored, and many cannot access or download their own images. This was either a move by uninformed out of touch corporate execs or corporate execs who know the ship is sinking and are trying to inflate their golden parachutes before they crash and burn.

Photobucket at one time was an easy way to post images into forum threads. Many forums didn't have the ability to host the images on the site itself as the samba now does (i'm still relatively "new" here having been a member for about 5 years but I believe the samba did not always have that ability?)

The unfortunate outcome to this is that the many very helpful images people have posted in forums over the years - schematics, technical drawings, step-by-step how-to's - are now all gone. This was a wonderful how-to on replacing ghia heater channels - a case where the pictures were worth a thousand words: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441089

When photobucket started adding more and more advertising, and making you have to "watch this brief video from our sponsor" everytime you logged in, and many forums who had grown up began being able to host their images, I think that signaled the beginning of the end for photobucket. Then the ads became more aggressive and virus like, functionality decreased and problems and errors increased, support went downhill, and now this? Even if they reverse this poor business decision, I don't think they can recover.

For those of us who relied on photobucket for our forum image posts, the options are either repair our photos one by one (which requires mod/admin assistance), delete/abandoned our old threads and start over, or walk away in disgust..

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

What a Pain in the A$$!!!!!

Photobucket isn't exactly making it easy to pull off photos!

There were times during my buikd threads where thesamba was fighting photo downloads so I inserted some photobucket links. Now to rebuild them is requiring a screen shot, crop the image, resize the image and post it into thesamba's gallery. It will be time consuming but happily there really aren't all that many I need to do, maybe 50-60 or so.

I think that This is actually easier than going back through ALL of my photos and finding the ones I need.

Anyway...... lesson learned.......

Happily, I'm a moderator in the Vanagon forum and can repair my broken links. In the Beetle forum? Not so lucky....... Glenn! HELP!!! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I agree ^^^^^

all of my build threads are destroyed. by a stroke of luck I was able to download my "bucket" to my machine. I am now working on about 8-10 sub folders at the moment.

in terms of uploading my photos here, some of them were not vw related for example my Subaru conversions.....so it made sense to host them elsewhere.

smugmug seems promising (to me) but I am still fooling with it. I would have gladly paid PB however as mentioned it got to the point where it was impossible to use with all of the stupid ad's

I would like to think they will reverse this decision, but really, the damage to them has been done. once upon a time, they were pretty good....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Yep, I have all my pics on my PC, but thank to photopucket my thread is wasted.

thanks alot which ever arsehole did thought that idea up.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

This is kind of like going to Roy Rogers and getting a hamburger, then walking over to what up until yesterday was the free Fixin's Bar and being told "whoa there big fella - you need premium customer status to put some Fixin's on that there burger - $399 enter your PayPal info here"

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Well I never was really happy with their whole lay out and how the site worked anyway so they won't be seeing a penny from me to up grade.
I'm guessing it is just a temporary set back until someone figures out how I can securely link to third parties my images from my cloud.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

sux

I use photobucket because it's not blocked at work. Pretty much all of the other ones mentioned are blocked imgr, imageshack, etc

smug mug is not blocked - so please use that one or if VW related, here?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Please upload to The Samba gallery for all build threads or any post where a photo is integral to its understanding.
The gallery is simple to use and FREE! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Please upload to The Samba gallery for all build threads or any post where a photo is integral to its understanding.
The gallery is simple to use and FREE! Cool

but you can't edit/delete photos once they are here

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: