Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

picture hosting - Photobucket sux
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

but you can't edit/delete photos once they are here

For the purposes of build threads and instructional posts, why would you need to?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I have about 25 build threads and a few "how-to" topics on multiple forums that are now all dead. Some were very popular with over 200k view. I usually posted the same project on multiple forums, so it was nice to be able to upload the pics to one place, then copy/paste the whole update to multiple forums and have the pictures show up on each site. I'd have to fix thousands of dead pic links, most of which I'm not able to due to the age of the post (past the limit for editing). I'm not deleting my PB account yet, hopefully they'll come to a reasonable fix for this mess they've made.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

PB ceo finally speaks:

Quote:
“This path to a more sustainable business model allows us to develop an even more robust product to meet our customers’ needs,” Photobucket chief executive John Corpus said in a statement. - The Denver Post

Shocked

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

sucks to think that all of my old build threads on other sites are screwed. I liked to go back and look through them from time to time to go down memory lane. i guess all I have is the samba now. Confused
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Even if you could download all your pics from PB, and wanted to modify the links in your build threads, you can't because the of the time limit if the post is older than 86400 minutes.....
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
Even if you could download all your pics from PB, and wanted to modify the links in your build threads, you can't because the of the time limit if the post is older than 86400 minutes.....

could the moderators give power to the original poster to edit the photos? or is this just a giant ass ache to do?

moderators...what do you think?

I wish PB 1) gave us warning and 2) didn't go for the throat....40-60/year would have been a reasonable fee for most of us. 400? um...no

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Yes, I can possibly give you control to do that once you have reposted them all here.

I already did this for one person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
40-60/year would have been a reasonable fee for most of us. 400? um...no

Yes, that seems dumb... They probably could have gotten more money @ $40 than $400.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

ok, so as of now, you can go to a thread that used PB as the host. when the "upgrade" icon shows up instead of the photo, click that. it will open a link to the PB "bucket" and show the image that was once there.

it may open in another window, so look for the pop up. as long as the bucket/folder is set to public you can view the photo

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Kudos to the people who are going back and fixing their links. Any effort to retain information is pretty rad.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I noticed that the two other sites I go to a jeep site ad a Harley one all pics are working and when you click on them it takes you to photo bucket
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

If you have the ability, I highly recommend moving your photobucket pictures here or somewhere else. This is not a decision that a company on good financial ground makes. Once Photobucket goes under those pictures will be forever unrecoverable.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

If you are now looking to other "off site" photo hosting after this Photobucket debacle the always free option exists...and that's here.

That's why a lot of us have been carrying this link in our Samba signature for a long time. The message was always relevant, now doubly so: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

If you want to carry the message too just copy and post this code into your signature:
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807][b]Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery![/b][/url]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

PB's free service was worth exactly what users paid for it. Nothing is free...

But the way in which PB handled the change sounds like a playbook page from the airline industry.

bnc
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I am not a expert on these matters in the least, but it seems to me that facebook offers unlimited free image hosting.

If using facebook in this manner is a bad idea, perhaps someone could explain to me why that is?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I am not a expert on these matters in the least, but it seems to me that facebook offers unlimited free image hosting.

If using facebook in this manner is a bad idea, perhaps someone could explain to me why that is?

I could be wrong but I believe in the user agreement you give FB licence to use your images for its own promotion. Depending on your privacy settings, unknown people may have access to your images.You may be limited to the size of the files and resolution. If FB is down or there is a server problem you may not be able to access your images.
I haven't put images on FB in years, and haven't even accessed my account in over a year so I may be incorrect.
As I said earlier in this thread, why bother with an online host at all? Nothing is safer, cheaper and easier to access than your own hard drive.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Depending on your privacy settings, unknown people may have access to your images.You may be limited to the size of the files and resolution.

oh, yeah ok. Well, giving all people access to the images would be the goal in this case, so that's fine.

I upload all images to the samba, that I use in threads, because they told me to do that. Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

modok wrote:
photogdave wrote:
Depending on your privacy settings, unknown people may have access to your images.You may be limited to the size of the files and resolution.

oh, yeah ok. Well, giving all people access to the images would be the goal in this case, so that's fine.

I upload all images to the samba, that I use in threads, because they told me to do that. Very Happy

I have literally thousands of images on FB but the privacy settings on most of them are set to "friends only" What that means is if used on The Samba or other 3rd party locations they would only be visible to my FB "friends"

Yes you could make a FB album with a "Public" setting so they would be viewable but as Dave says...The Samba Gallery is the safe place for Samba pictures.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

I would be highly skeptical of the notion that anything about facebook is "private"

Threaten your ex-girlfriend on facebook? Busted
Repo man will use it to track you down, so, make those car payments!
Pose as being police or military when you are not, busted Shocked
Make insurance claim for back injury....insurance denied based on pics of you skiing on FB.

I've seen all that happen. Private? HA! No way
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: picture hosting - Photobucket sux Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
captincanuck wrote:
I don't seem to be having a problem with all my linked pictures in photo bucket. Wonder what's up with that...

Yes, it does appear that PB may have backed off from there recent move -- but they have lost me anyway. I was at the point of not liking them and now I don't trust them.

Looks like they finally got around to my account Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: