Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Leak From Port on Engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi everyone,

Really odd fuel leak problem here. Never encountered this one before.

74 Camper type 4 engine, rebuilt recently and added an electronic fuel pump and new dual Weber's

Today I noticed gas dripping out of a port on the lower passenger side of the engine. I think that screw originally holds the thermostat bracket in. How in world could gas be coming out of it?

I checked my oil and it's way overfull. Doesn't smell like gas, but has to be in there.

Yesterday I was checking my blinkers and had the key on for about 15 seconds. The fuel pump was running. Could this have flooded something out?

Where should I begin?

Thanks for the help everyone.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

I just drained the oil. Ton of gas was in there. Current have a clamp on the hose from the tank.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

Usually that indicates a stuck needle or float in a carb

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

You say you installed a new electric fuel pump. The ones for carbs should put out about 3-5 psi. The ones for fuel injection put out around 40 psi. Even if you installed the correct LP pump, it's still a good idea to use a pressure regulator between the pump output and the carb inlets. Reduce the pressure to about 2-3 psi for Webers. Obviously, your carb needle valves are leaking.

So you aren't running a thermostat I guess. Looks like the boss for the cable roller is where your oily gasy mixture is coming from. Better plug that threaded hole at the very least.

https://www.amazon.com/Holley-HOL-12-804-Pressure-...amp;sr=8-2
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

As well as fixing whatever is filling the crankcase with fuel you should consider a safety relay for the fuel pump. It triggers and switches on the pump once the engine is cranking/running and prevents the pump from running with the key, as it seems your does now.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

Yes I will be putting a relay in ... Unless I just go back to my mechanical pump.

I will also plug that threaded holes for sure.

It's the correct psi pump. Got it from my local VW guys here in Denver.

They also said I'd be fine not running a thermostat as long as I screwed the flaps open. I was ok doing that since I won't be using the bus much in the winter.

Ok, gonna look into stuck needle valves and see what I find. Thanks guys.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

Yes your float is likely leaking through, the carb is always subject to some fuel pressure due to high tank and gravity even when the pump isn't running, this varies by pump design. Having a fuel shut off is good as is having a Marine Anti Siphon Valve in the line between the tank and the pump.

You need to plug the hole with a bolt and soft washer.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

gzaharatos67 wrote:

They also said I'd be fine not running a thermostat as long as I screwed the flaps open. I was ok doing that since I won't be using the bus much in the winter.

Not having a working thermostatic system is fine if you never drive below 70°F. At below that temp you will begin to get water building up in your oil, at below 40°F the thermostat becomes very critical at keeping your oil free of water and acids. Your upper cylinder wall wear and ring wear go up markedly as water and acids builds up in the oil, while they also etch the surface of your bearings. On long down hills, say coming down the Front Range you will also build up that much more gasoline in your oil as the engine cools way off.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

I had the problem with 34ITC's. I installed a fuel shut off solenoid similar to desertbusman (does anybody remember DBM?).

DBMs setup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

That's a pretty clean installation for a white boy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That's a pretty clean installation for a white boy

That's Mike's install. Mine is based on his and nowhere near as spiffy. It does work, turn off the key and all fuel to carbs is interrupted.
gzaharatos67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak From Port on Engine Reply with quote

Replaced needle valves in both carbs and that seems to have taken care of it. Still a few things to do before I'm ready for the road, but this helped.

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: