Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

I dont know if anyone can help me, but I have a 2006 beetle with the air bag warning light staying on and after looking under the seats to make sure all the wires are hooked up I see this one is disconnected under the passengers seat (the white plug) but after getting the seat up enough that I can see under there I have no clue where its suppose to plug into as there is no slot big enough for it to fit into?

Both pictures at are the same just at different angles

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

The airbag connectors are the yellow ones. You need to scan the airbag module for DTC faults. The connectors under the seats will only be for side airbag igniter & seatbelt switch.

The white one, I believe, is for the seat heater elements.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

take a closer look at that white "plug" and see if it actually has wires going into it...it looks like it is just a loom for the harness that snaps on to an ear on the seat to support the wire and prevent it from flexing at the plugs...should clip on close to where the plugs are installed....you'll need someone with a good scan tool to check for codes ( not a free check at auto zone)...if the ignition was ever turned on with any part of the system disconnected ( seats removed, steering wheel removed or any of the bags unplugged) it will turn on the light
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
take a closer look at that white "plug" and see if it actually has wires going into it...it looks like it is just a loom for the harness that snaps on to an ear on the seat to support the wire and prevent it from flexing at the plugs...should clip on close to where the plugs are installed....you'll need someone with a good scan tool to check for codes ( not a free check at auto zone)...if the ignition was ever turned on with any part of the system disconnected ( seats removed, steering wheel removed or any of the bags unplugged) it will turn on the light

What he said. That white clip is supposed to support the wire loom.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

The yellow wires are for the SRS system and if you're concerned about finding the cause, you'll need some type of scanner to read the codes. Once you read the code, it will indicate what to check.

Most [if not all] manufacturers will keep the SRS light on, even if the problem is resolved. So, if someone removed the seat and the battery was not disconnected, the SRS light will stay on, even if it's all properly connected back again.

The SRS light will only turn off when you fix the issue and clear the code [in that order].

It's not uncommon to have connectors that appear to go nowhere.
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

Thanks, after reading your replies and realizing that the plug that had nothing plugged into it, that was probably for heated seats, I ordered a scanner from amazon that was only like 14 dollars and scanned it which came up with no codes saying anything was wrong so I just erased the code so the light is not off.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

CheapBusForSale wrote:
no codes saying anything was wrong so I just erased the code so the light is not off.

Typo? Do you mean the light is still on or off?
CheapBusForSale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

Sorry, that was a typo and I meant to say the light is now off, but now that I reset it I have to drive the car through its cycle to pass the inspection. And Im not 100% sure but I think I need to let it idle for 15 minutes after its been sitting over night then drive it between 55 - 60 mph for 5 minutes then let it idle again for another 3 minutes to get it to reset if thats correct for a beetle?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Air bag light on unknown loose wire seat Reply with quote

Are you sure that your state requires the airbag light to be off for inspection? NC only requires the CEL to be off, the rest of them don't matter (unless you have a diesel then the CEL doesn't matter either Twisted Evil ).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: