Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bobnotch
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2003
Posts: 20363
Location: Kimball, Mi
Bobnotch is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.
_________________
Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof
71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390 -been busy working
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
This looks fantastic! You did another amazing job!!! Here you have finished multiple projects and I am still trying to finish one Embarassed

I stayed away from wild women, babies and the art world Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.

Is there a write up on the hinge swap?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2003
Posts: 20363
Location: Kimball, Mi
Bobnotch is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.

Is there a write up on the hinge swap?"


Multi69s did the original write up for his Squareback, and I followed some of it, and adjusted it for my own car. Note the best time to do this conversion is while rebuilding the windows (replacing the seals), as working with the bare frames is lighter and easier.

Look on page 18 of my 71 Notch rebuild. I got my parts thru WW, including the bug hinge covers. I did have to trim the screws that went thru the frame, as they're a little too long. I also had to get a 3.5mm tap for those screws, as I reused the existing hinge screws already on the pop out frames.

I know I'm not the only one who has done this swap, as there was a thread on doing this conversion a few years ago (a search might bring it up).
I hope this helps.

Here's a link to Dave's thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232650&highlight=

Here's another good thread for pop outs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423668&highlight=pop+out+windows
_________________
Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof
71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390 -been busy working
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".


Last edited by Bobnotch on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: January 10, 2004
Posts: 1460

Loren is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Loren wrote:
This looks fantastic! You did another amazing job!!! Here you have finished multiple projects and I am still trying to finish one Embarassed

I stayed away from wild women, babies and the art world Wink


I wish you had told me this sooner!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Loren wrote:
This looks fantastic! You did another amazing job!!! Here you have finished multiple projects and I am still trying to finish one Embarassed

I stayed away from wild women, babies and the art world Wink


I wish you had told me this sooner!!!

Didn't think you would listen Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.

Is there a write up on the hinge swap?"


Multi69s did the original write up for his Squareback, and I followed some of it, and adjusted it for my own car. Note the best time to do this conversion is while rebuilding the windows (replacing the seals), as working with the bare frames is lighter and easier.

Look on page 18 of my 71 Notch rebuild. I got my parts thru WW, including the bug hinge covers. I did have to trim the screws that went thru the frame, as they're a little too long. I also had to get a 4.5mm tap for those screws, as I reused the existing hinge screws already on the pop out frames.

I know I'm not the only one who has done this swap, as there was a thread on doing this conversion a few years ago (a search might bring it up).
I hope this helps.

Here's a link to Dave's thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232650&highlight=

Here's another good thread for pop outs.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423668&highlight=pop+out+windows

Page 22 is the hinge, page 18 is your scrapers. Found it with the Google Smile
I was unclear when it is mentioned that the frame sticks out further in your thread and others.
Also is there a photo of what it looks like with hinge covers?
I did find the tip on taping the seal back and may give that a go to get the rubber covers on the current hinges.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2003
Posts: 20363
Location: Kimball, Mi
Bobnotch is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.

Is there a write up on the hinge swap?"


Multi69s did the original write up for his Squareback, and I followed some of it, and adjusted it for my own car. Note the best time to do this conversion is while rebuilding the windows (replacing the seals), as working with the bare frames is lighter and easier.

Look on page 18 of my 71 Notch rebuild. I got my parts thru WW, including the bug hinge covers. I did have to trim the screws that went thru the frame, as they're a little too long. I also had to get a 4.5mm tap for those screws, as I reused the existing hinge screws already on the pop out frames.

I know I'm not the only one who has done this swap, as there was a thread on doing this conversion a few years ago (a search might bring it up).
I hope this helps.

Here's a link to Dave's thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232650&highlight=

Here's another good thread for pop outs.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423668&highlight=pop+out+windows

Page 22 is the hinge, page 18 is your scrapers. Found it with the Google Smile
I was unclear when it is mentioned that the frame sticks out further in your thread and others.
Also is there a photo of what it looks like with hinge covers?
I did find the tip on taping the seal back and may give that a go to get the rubber covers on the current hinges.


This is probably the closest shot I have with the covers in place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


As you can see, the bug hinges make the window more secure and self supporting. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That pic alone sold me on going with the bug hinges. It gives that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. Laughing Note the window is currently open more than with the latches in place.

Oh yeah, sorry about giving you the wrong page for the hinges, but it did get you close. Wink
_________________
Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof
71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390 -been busy working
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

I put the rubber covers on the pop out hinges, made the problem much worse.
The B pillar openings seemed uneven so I tried to match them up better.
Slight improvement possibly. 6 times in and out, I think I will stop pushing my luck.
Did a string alignment so should be drivable to an alignment shop. Started working on an off switch for footwell light.
AC parts on the way. Had to order some stronger gas struts for front hood. Guden charged an insane amount for shipping two little struts. They donít tell you shipping until you are billed. Wonít purchase there again.
Once AC fittings are secured it will be time for a test drive. Hopefully the fix list wonít be too long. Looks like the Uro master cylinder is leaking out the back end. I cleaned it up and crossing fingers it was left over drips. All fittings were dry.
Working on a way to to pad and cover the steering wheel with leather. Finding a good firm padding is difficult without being able to give it a good in person squeeze.
I sat in the car a little bit. Seats ar comfortable. I have to put seat all the way back and lay it back as much as it can to fit. Fits good. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Iíve been working on making all the ac hoses. I went with reduced barrier hose for space. I have all hoses cut and fittings crimped and now I am working on brackets etc to hold it all in place.
Had the idea to use a stud into the body then use a nut as retainer. I then pop the hoses up there and then for now a fender washer to hold them in place along outer pan. Seems to work. I will cover stud so it does not damage the house.
Working on front fender well and just behind the jack point then all the low sections will be done. I will probably go with adelle clamps from condenser to the compressor.
Trying to find an ac place that can make me a #10 reduced barrier 180 deg splice then I can tighten everything up and set a vacuum.
The URO master cylinder is weeping around the inlet grommets. I replaced with some other grommets but still weeps although slower. Ordered some ATE grommets and will try again. This MC is a replacement URO sent me for the prior unit that kept weeping in my 914. If new grommets donít seal mo money....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bad weather kept me inside so I had to find something to do.
I decided to pad and cover the steering wheel in leather.
I used EVA foam as it was the only foam I could find a density that had a Shore rating around 60 which is what steering wheel manufacturers use. I purchased 6mm thick foam. It can also be shaped with a heat gun so after cutting a strip I heated the foam and formed it around the wheel. I then glued around the outer rim to attach the foam. After that I glued in sections using heat to form tightly. When finished I wrapped it like a Mummy and let it sit for 24 hours. After unwrapping I used a sanding stick to smooth the seam, which will be under the cover seam. There was some waves where the foam compressed which were also sanded smooth.
I purchased a generic leather wheel wrap that fit near perfect with the new grip diameter. I must say it feels fantastic, grip is great and looks nice.
Total cost was around $60 and I have enough material left to do several more wheels. I have started on a 914 wheel that was trashed down to the metal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Yesterday I got the lil Notch registered and insured. Luckily I have AAA and was able to do the registration there. DMV requires in person when car has been non operational for a while in Cali. First building I have been inside in almost a year Shocked Full Respirator on but the building had few people inside.
Took a drive down to the Gas Station today and filled her up. Got a lot of comments. I replied, BACK UP JACK Laughing
Just my driveway tuning was pretty close for Air Fuel ratio. Did a bunch of quick 1st through 3rd accelerations and it all seemed to be very close just a bit more tweaking.
I did not do the Freeway as I want to bleed the brakes one more time. I also ordered a Dakota Digital CHT as what I have in there was not making me comfortable, didn't seem to be working. Dakota seems to be the only one that compensates for the cold junction so I ordered that.
Steering box was a little free but they all feel like that to me. I will try to tighten it up just a bit.
The steering wheel feels great to the touch but seems huge compared to the other cars I drive most of the time.
Car is quiet and so far handling seems rock solid but I have not pushed it.
After I get the new CHT in, bleed the brakes, adjust the steering box and try to figure out what a couple of wires just dangling in space go to I will hit the freeway.
I am expecting oil temp to be an issue with engine size and only a T4 cooler which is aftermarket and I hear they often don't cool as well. I have another cooler on standby if I feel that the temps are too high.
I got to tell ya it has been a LONG HARD SLOG but man did it feel good Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:
I canít get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but canít improve the seal. Any suggestions?


Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.


On my old 71 Notch, I fixed that issue by going with Bug hinges. They really stabilize the pop out assembly. On my 65 Notch, I've had that very same issue for 20 years now. And no, I don't have the hinge sleeves. I do however plan to add a set of bug hinges to them (already have the hinge assemblies from WW here). I figure I'll do that conversion when I rebuild the pop out windows.

Is there a write up on the hinge swap?"


Multi69s did the original write up for his Squareback, and I followed some of it, and adjusted it for my own car. Note the best time to do this conversion is while rebuilding the windows (replacing the seals), as working with the bare frames is lighter and easier.

Look on page 18 of my 71 Notch rebuild. I got my parts thru WW, including the bug hinge covers. I did have to trim the screws that went thru the frame, as they're a little too long. I also had to get a 4.5mm tap for those screws, as I reused the existing hinge screws already on the pop out frames.

I know I'm not the only one who has done this swap, as there was a thread on doing this conversion a few years ago (a search might bring it up).
I hope this helps.

Here's a link to Dave's thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232650&highlight=

Here's another good thread for pop outs.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423668&highlight=pop+out+windows

Page 22 is the hinge, page 18 is your scrapers. Found it with the Google Smile
I was unclear when it is mentioned that the frame sticks out further in your thread and others.
Also is there a photo of what it looks like with hinge covers?
I did find the tip on taping the seal back and may give that a go to get the rubber covers on the current hinges.


This is probably the closest shot I have with the covers in place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


As you can see, the bug hinges make the window more secure and self supporting. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That pic alone sold me on going with the bug hinges. It gives that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. Laughing Note the window is currently open more than with the latches in place.

Oh yeah, sorry about giving you the wrong page for the hinges, but it did get you close. Wink

I got the bug hinges in the mail today. Now I need to work up the courage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Little more adjusting to the FI, NO PROBLEM getting it to run rich enough toodling around the neighborhood.
Bled the brakes some more, I think they will work nicely.
Fiddled with the steering box, read 22 pages about steering box's here, gonna need to come out. Wouldn't be a big deal but I just filled the fuel tank.
A little adjustment needed for parking brakes needed.
Once I get the new head temp gauge and the external oil cooler in, steering box replaced.....at least the to do list is getting shorter.
The loud pedal already puts a smile on my face.

The AFM keeps resetting so got to figure that out...what did I say about the to do list....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member


Joined: September 24, 2003
Posts: 5496
Location: Santa Cruz
Clatter is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Must be nice to be driving a type 3;
Been so long for me i have no memory of ever doing so!


I wouldn't be in any hurry to put an external oil cooler on it.
Cost, time, complexity, weight, drips, stuff to fail.. I hate 'em.
Since these motors push a loaded bus around without one,
Why do you think it will run hot?
Motor will mostly ever be just twiddlng it's thumbs pushing a little car down the road.

You have a 3.88 R/P and .077 4th, and plan on running to Tahoe at 85MPH?

I'd be testing/tuning the tar out of that car, and only putting on an oil cooler if you couldn't tune it to run cool.

I guess oil coolers are like thermostats, politics and religion.. Wink
_________________
Bus Motor Build
Fastback Build

modok wrote:
if you have the expectation that you can put mexican taxi bearings, in a brazil engine case, and put a chinese crank in it and have the right clearance...
Time to change your expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Must be nice to be driving a type 3;
Been so long for me i have no memory of ever doing so!


I wouldn't be in any hurry to put an external oil cooler on it.
Cost, time, complexity, weight, drips, stuff to fail.. I hate 'em.
Since these motors push a loaded bus around without one,
Why do you think it will run hot?
Motor will mostly ever be just twiddlng it's thumbs pushing a little car down the road.

You have a 3.88 R/P and .077 4th, and plan on running to Tahoe at 85MPH?

I'd be testing/tuning the tar out of that car, and only putting on an oil cooler if you couldn't tune it to run cool.

I guess oil coolers are like thermostats, politics and religion.. Wink


Corn Head was a song by The Black Crows........

This is the first T3 I have ever ridden in out of the hundreds of VWs I have been in. As soon as the box issues are solved it should be nice to drive, the ride is nice. Extra sway bars are a factor I am sure.
My high top bay I can drive downtown on the freeway and back home before it gets as warm as this motor in less than 10 minutes. There is a huge displacement difference, lot's more flame. Most t4s over 2200cc seem to need coolers. I also have the AC so I am expecting it will be needed.
Lots of little to do's to check off before I tackle the cooler. I should have the head temp gauge in by then and will know for sure what is going on in there. Needs to lean out just a touch.
I tried to lube the speedo when I put the led strips in but apparently it wasn't enough and I am stuck at 20 MPH all the time. The AC makes any work under the dash a big hassle.
Indexed the wiper motor today to get park in the correct location. I flipped it 180 off when my feet were up in the air. Forgot to pull the speedo when I had the ac down Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Tomorrow......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member


Joined: September 01, 2006
Posts: 1671

VWporscheGT3 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

You have a 3.88 R/P and .077 4th, and plan on running to Tahoe at 85MPH?

I'd be testing/tuning the tar out of that car, and only putting on an oil cooler if you couldn't tune it to run cool.

I guess oil coolers are like thermostats, politics and religion.. Wink



Laughing Laughing One can have goals cant they? lol best i can do is 60 running up to tahoe lol
_________________
Schnell, Schnell!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Hours to get the speedo out... Mad
Opened it up and it appears it had been taken completely apart in the past. Something tweaked inside spinning cup I couldnít figure out how to fix. Luckily I had some cores that I could pick through, was able to put together what seems to be a working unit.
Needle broke so I am making another.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was able to get the gas out of tank so I could pull steering box. Waiting for steering box grease, Corn Head.
I may tackle the bug hinge conversion for the pop outs while wait for other parts.
Getting closer...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2003
Posts: 20363
Location: Kimball, Mi
Bobnotch is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Hours to get the speedo out... Mad
Opened it up and it appears it had been taken completely apart in the past. Something tweaked inside spinning cup I couldnít figure out how to fix. Luckily I had some cores that I could pick through, was able to put together what seems to be a working unit.
Needle broke so I am making another.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Was able to get the gas out of tank so I could pull steering box. Waiting for steering box grease, Corn Head.
I may tackle the bug hinge conversion for the pop outs while wait for other parts.
Getting closer...


Reminds me of my T-34, when just passing thru Chicago on I-80, the speedo quit. Wasn't until we got to Colorado Springs that we were able to pull it and tear into it. Found the input shaft (attached to the spinner) had sheared off. Robbed one off the bug parts speedo I picked up at Russ Wolfe's place on the way out for the needed part to fix it. It's nice having it work when you're running thru town (35mph), and out on the freeway running 70-75 for hours on end. Cool
_________________
Bob 65 Notch S with Sunroof
71 Notch ...aka Krunchy; build pics here;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249390 -been busy working
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2520
Location: The Real NDK So Cal
djway3474 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

After reading about the steering boxes and the Corn head grease I figured I better open up the new TRW box. Trying to turn the worm shaft about ripped the skin off my hand. Opened it up and found this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fairly thick grease was injected through one filler hole and filled about half the box. The worm gear adjuster had no grease under it. The roller shaft adjuster did have grease.
Cleaned everything put parts back in and filled it up with Corn Head.
Tomorrow I will paint the box then it will start going back together.
I checked the original roller shaft and it was in spec. Worm shaft looked good. Ball bearings measured 5mm but I donít know what they should be. I could not find wear grooves on shaft. Picked up new seals at Wolfsburg West and I will put back together once I determine what to do about bearings, replace or not. I can get it adjusted as is without maxing the screw so I will probably put back together. Always learn how to do something a day late.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB