Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
He's going custom. No need for a correct dash right? Do good enough and leave the dashes for people wanting correct cars?

Just saying... muuhwaahwaaa and all that. If you are custom this, custom that, no need to spend $1k plus on a dash

Almost 2k now Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

If you think there is enough interest I know just the person to repop the surround. Very well known in the 914 community. Looks fairly simple. He has done complete dash units that are beautiful and many other parts. He can make large runs so I will contact him.
I am almost done digging through all the parts. These T3 cars have a lot of strange looking parts Laughing
Following looks like parts I need so far
I have the seat backs and bottoms but I have not yet found the release. I also need a nice set of early door handles and locks. A nice passenger popout for a Notch. The plastic heater muffler with the long tube sticking out. The air control boxs for the windshield vents for the notch which is probably just T3? I have no idea what they look like so I am kind of blind here. T3 heater boxes, I have the flaps just not the actual exchange pipe part. Is that part the same as T1? Need a nice windshield. Chrome trim front/rear for Notch windshields. Need under cylinder tin and the air deflector tin below that and the small undertins at the pully end of motor. Need 1 early door stop. Interior Door lock chrome estechuans. Early window cranks and door latch chrome handles that are not pitted. Nice early rear view and exterior mirrors. My speedo and fuel gauge are not looking good, need chrome rings and speedo needle. I will get a tack to replace the missing clock. Early notch license plate light assembly. Need a set of torsion bar hole covers. Front and rear hood pin assemblies, I have the receivers. Nice glove box. Sliding floor heat vent covers. Is there a special backing on the rear of the back seat to separate from the trunk? I could use a better front bumper and 4 over riders. That is all I know of at this point.

On the dash there are a couple of levers that attach to some tiny little flaps that are wide. Is there another piece they attach to or is that it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dark fiberboard piece above, what is that?

are these the front defroster pipes? is this the part the tiny flaps hook to? Are the plastic ends re popped or do I need to hunt?

Are the factory rocker trim parts chrome or stainless?

The heat mufflers, are they avail or do I need to find a used part to replace the unit that is only half there?

The cables in the upper right, are they sunroof cables or what?

The rectangle piece covered with seat vinyl, where does that go?

here are the headlights. looks like a plastic retainer? available?

The squareish metal piece, where does that go?

arm rest look beat to heck

all that is left of the interior

Rust that needs replacement appears to be minimal but it has sat in primer so long I am a bit worried about some areas that are showing surface rust through the primer. I will need to do some digging.
That is my update for now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

You really do have lots of parts in boxes.

I'll start:
Your other heat muffler-

Try the StarWars props department (just to the left of Luke Skywalker, in the background) Shocked -

Back to reality-
The squarish metal piece is the protection plate for the brake master cylinder, located under the car.

Here's a shot from the gallery of it seen top-down:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Your seat releases are cable actuated attached to a door mechanism. That is, with the door closed, seats are locked. Door open and it can be folded forward.

The cables you asked about look like them but need to see both ends

The fiberboard piece covers up some tubes under the dash

The vent hose thing goes under the back seat and the plastic piece is not reproduced.

Door sill trim is aluminum.

The vynal piece fits behind the arm rest in the back seat

Headlights are standard euro lights.

You'll want to hunt for nice front and rear armrests now. Fronts should be grey instead of black, but the black ones will fit
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers.
What are the rocker trim pieces made of? The long pieces outside below the doors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
What are the rocker trim pieces made of? The long pieces outside below the doors.

Aluminum
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
djway3474 wrote:

Aluminum

thanks Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
djway3474 wrote:

Aluminum

Are you sure they're not stainless steel? All of them that I have here are stainless, and those in his pics look like stainless.

OP, like I said on page 1, I'd contact Joel, and see IF he can help you find what you're looking for. You've got a pretty good list going, and he might be able to help you find some of it. Also check with ISP West, as they've just bought a bunch of cars that might have some bits and pieces you need. The Samba classifieds is always a good place to start looking too.

Keep in mind that almost nothing for type 3s is being reproduced. Oh you might find some NOS parts, but that's about it. That's the thing about these cars, they've always been the "red headed step child" of the VW world, and as such companies didn't tool up for any parts. Granted, there are some parts that have been reproduced, such as window seals, tail light seals, engine lid seals, cooling boots, frunk and trunk/gate seals. But a lot of the harder to find stuff is only available as used, or NOS.

We got lucky 5 or so years ago when Gerson started making new floor pan halves, and with Type 3 Konny in Germany offering some patch panels, but that's about it. Bob and Pedro have been working with SMS on getting correct interior materials made for 1500 cars, and some have been harassing TMI to get them to make more correct seat covers (with the correct patterns and number of seams) and door panels (again with more correct patterns and seams) for the 66 and later cars.
The vendors are slowly coming around to our demands, but they're in no rush to change their tooling either. This is mostly because of a limited market for sales (both current and future).

As it is, when you go to a show and see a type 3, it's mostly ALL German, because repop parts aren't available for them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Are you sure they're not stainless steel? All of them that I have here are stainless, and those in his pics look like stainless.

OP, like I said on page 1, I'd contact Joel, and see IF he can help you find what you're looking for. You've got a pretty good list going, and he might be able to help you find some of it. Also check with ISP West, as they've just bought a bunch of cars that might have some bits and pieces you need. The Samba classifieds is always a good place to start looking too.

Keep in mind that almost nothing for type 3s is being reproduced. Oh you might find some NOS parts, but that's about it. That's the thing about these cars, they've always been the "red headed step child" of the VW world, and as such companies didn't tool up for any parts. Granted, there are some parts that have been reproduced, such as window seals, tail light seals, engine lid seals, cooling boots, frunk and trunk/gate seals. But a lot of the harder to find stuff is only available as used, or NOS.

We got lucky 5 or so years ago when Gerson started making new floor pan halves, and with Type 3 Konny in Germany offering some patch panels, but that's about it. Bob and Pedro have been working with SMS on getting correct interior materials made for 1500 cars, and some have been harassing TMI to get them to make more correct seat covers (with the correct patterns and number of seams) and door panels (again with more correct patterns and seams) for the 66 and later cars.
The vendors are slowly coming around to our demands, but they're in no rush to change their tooling either. This is mostly because of a limited market for sales (both current and future).

As it is, when you go to a show and see a type 3, it's mostly ALL German, because repop parts aren't available for them.[/quote]

They feel like stainless to me but I really don't know. Either aluminum or stainless is good because I can polish that out. If I can polish 6 glass windows, all heavily scratched, I can polish anything LOL. I have noticed Joels advertisements. There is a guy locally that has a ton of T3 stuff but not in town right now. Trying to save on shipping and it is much better see something and touch it before you buy, but that is not always possible.
I am on the trail of a couple of roof clips and those people may have other parts also. The hunt is part of the fun Cool
I really appreciate all of the help here. This is going to be a long term project but that is OK.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Another question
The sliders on the dash for air vents I assume.
Here is an image I found on the Samba

I have not been able to find a good picture of the actual box or flaps or whatever is in there and how the cables control air flows.
Looking for a good description of the dash air flow and photos.
Thanks
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Original mouldings were aluminium.,, Those three levers, via cables, control airflow, from the vents under the outside of the windshield, though the fresh airboxes, to the inside vents right under the windshield.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Original mouldings were aluminium.,, Those three levers, via cables, control airflow, from the vents under the outside of the windshield, though the fresh airboxes, to the inside vents right under the windshield.

Is this the fresh air box you are talking about?

How does the air get from this box to the dash? Are there more parts past the box? More parts for the list
Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Is this the fresh air box you are talking about?

How does the air get from this box to the dash? Are there more parts past the box? More parts for the list
Thanks

Yes, that's 1 of 2 fresh air boxes, that get air into them from the slots just in front of the windshield. The air passes thru the box and then thru 1 of 2 slais at the rear of the air box itself. By moving the sliders, you can put some of the air onto the windshield, while the rest of the air just kind of dumps under/behind the dash. With the levers fully up, the air box vents (slats) are closed and no air passes into the cabin.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Thanks. Add more part to the list Confused So, two fresh air boxes and a right, center and left defroster vent.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

http://forsale.co.pl/picture.php?/2245/category/59

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2027520

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

By the looks of your previous restoration, let me come forward and tell you that restoring a type 3 is not as easy as it seems. There are very few reproduction parts and less vendors specializing on type 3 parts. Unless you are Ataraxia who seems to know where Ali Baba and his thieves stashed ALL the NOS type 3 parts, you may run into a few dead ends with all the missing parts. Maybe you shoould pass on this car and get a more complete one. Another option is to see in person another notchback of that year so you can really see all of the stuff you are missing.

A good friend, Rob Kingsbury built a 64 sunrrof notch using almost all NOS parts back in the day and spent well over 40K. I have restored two buses, a 21 win and a 15 window, also a '65 type 34 and combined they cost about the same or less than my '65 sunroof squareback. Why? because those cars were complete. I either refurbished what I had or sold it and upgraded some parts.

Only the Crazy barndoor and 356 people resurrect rotting corpses.

Just y opinion,

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
By the looks of your previous restoration, let me come forward and tell you that restoring a type 3 is not as easy as it seems. There are very few reproduction parts and less vendors specializing on type 3 parts. Unless you are Ataraxia who seems to know where Ali Baba and his thieves stashed ALL the NOS type 3 parts, you may run into a few dead ends with all the missing parts. Maybe you shoould pass on this car and get a more complete one. Another option is to see in person another notchback of that year so you can really see all of the stuff you are missing.

A good friend, Rob Kingsbury built a 64 sunrrof notch using almost all NOS parts back in the day and spent well over 40K. I have restored two buses, a 21 win and a 15 window, also a '65 type 34 and combined they cost about the same or less than my '65 sunroof squareback. Why? because those cars were complete. I either refurbished what I had or sold it and upgraded some parts.

Only the Crazy barndoor and 356 people resurrect rotting corpses.

Just y opinion,

Martin
allwagons

Absolutely right. This is why I mentioned above what I did, as T-3 parts can be harder to find at times (depending on what you're looking for). The early cars in particular (like the 1 Jack is doing for Bob) can be a nightmare trying to find some of that early, early stuff.

And having resurrected a few "rotting corpses" in my life, I'm not about to do another one. Sure learning about them, and hunting down parts for them can be fun, but after a while (dealing with flakes) it gets old real quick.

Looking at the pics you posted of the parts you have, you're actually better off going custom or resto-mod. I only say that, as you're missing some of the early only stuff, and you have some of the later stuff. You could shorten up your list using what you have if you wanted, versus trying to find some of the harder to find bits (especially NOS ones).

Look at what Jason (aka Notchboy) is doing with his 64 Notch, and that car WAS a driver. He's digging into his horde of stashed parts that he's been collecting and selling off for over 30 years. But, at the same time he's refurbishing a bunch (as many) old original parts as he can. Remember, nobodies repopping T-3 parts.
Sorry if I keep repeating that, but it is the truth. Doing a Ghia (even a low light convertible) is easier than doing a "correct early" type 3. Mainly because parts ARE available, even if you have to modify them. It's hard to modify unobtainium.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

On one of the VW buy sale Facebook pages there is a notch that "includes a sunroof clip with rails etc "

Tried to upload it here from my phone but can't.

Technology is awesome until it's not...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
On one of the VW buy sale Facebook pages there is a notch that "includes a sunroof clip with rails etc "

Tried to upload it here from my phone but can't.

Technology is awesome until it's not...

It must have a PhotoBucket account. Wink Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Nope. Just trying to upload A pic from my phone. Is what it is man. Someone is selling a decent notch and also has a sunroof clip for it. It's a Facebook VW site. Took a screen shot but can't upload it from my phone. I can txt a screenshot - PM me a cell number
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: