Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Nope. Just trying to upload A pic from my phone. Is what it is man. Someone is selling a decent notch and also has a sunroof clip for it. It's a Facebook VW site. Took a screen shot but can't upload it from my phone. I can txt a screenshot - PM me a cell number

I was just joking since all of those PB picutres have disappeared out of peoples threads and are being held hostage for money. Some people have been trying to move their own pics back to their phones or computers and re posting them. It sure messed up a lot of sites and threads. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Nope. Just trying to upload A pic from my phone. Is what it is man. Someone is selling a decent notch and also has a sunroof clip for it. It's a Facebook VW site. Took a screen shot but can't upload it from my phone. I can txt a screenshot - PM me a cell number

What is the FB page name?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Email it to me if you want and I'll add it - email is below
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

I'll post it later this morning when I'm at work
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik - Are you talking about this the roof clip in the UK?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Original mouldings were aluminium.,, Those three levers, via cables, control airflow, from the vents under the outside of the windshield, though the fresh airboxes, to the inside vents right under the windshield.

Is this the fresh air box you are talking about?

How does the air get from this box to the dash? Are there more parts past the box? More parts for the list
Thanks

The fresh air control boxes in your photo, specifically, are later model than your 63 would have had originally. IIRC, your photo shows the version used starting in 68.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
djway3474 wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
Original mouldings were aluminium.,, Those three levers, via cables, control airflow, from the vents under the outside of the windshield, though the fresh airboxes, to the inside vents right under the windshield.

Is this the fresh air box you are talking about?

How does the air get from this box to the dash? Are there more parts past the box? More parts for the list
Thanks

The fresh air control boxes in your photo, specifically, are later model than your 63 would have had originally. IIRC, your photo shows the version used starting in 68.

Are the late versions plastic?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Are the late versions plastic?

Yes, they are.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

here's the screen shot with the group name. Sorry, with photobucket gone I'm not able to do this faster. I have to save the screen shot, email it to my work, change it to JPG from PNG, upload it, then post the link here

to be honest, if money and space aren't a problem, buy this car, build one, sell the rest as a project

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
here's the screen shot with the group name. Sorry, with photobucket gone I'm not able to do this faster. I have to save the screen shot, email it to my work, change it to JPG from PNG, upload it, then post the link here

to be honest, if money and space aren't a problem, buy this car, build one, sell the rest as a project

Thanks for the information. As soon as I am admitted to the group I will send the guy a message.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Well I have been learning a lot.
I appear to have two different retainers for the euro headlights. One metal and one plastic. The plastic unit seems to have a few issues and has different length clips. What is that part called? Is it a T3 only part? Are the actual bulb holders specific to T3 or are they used on multi models.
Here are my two retainers

Are all the door winders the same except for the knobs? I use replica billet knobs that are powder coated from John Copello so I need to know which years I can use for the arm part. I found the winder retainer clips at my local nut and bolt shop McFadden Dale for like 75cents.
Have the fresh air boxes and dash vents, roof should be on the way tomorrow and a few other parts.
I cant find a good picture of what the headlight bowl looks like in a 63. The mounts in my two fenders don't match so I need to know what is correct so I can fix it.
And the hunt continues.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Just an update, I have the sunroof clip and just about everything else.
The only part I need is the metal ring and clips on the right in the picture of the last post or below in between part 8 and 20.

Any ideas on who to contact?
Thanks
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bay windows and 68 and later Euro bugs use similar housings

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Bay windows and 68 and later Euro bugs use similar housings

Do you know anyone down there that has one? My bay uses a different setup here in the states.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

In Mexico, they were used up util the Ultima Edicion in 1994, there are some for sale on the samba.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1680169

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1764846

they can still be found in NOS or Repro Form in Mexico.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
In Mexico, they were used up util the Ultima Edicion in 1994, there are some for sale on the samba.
they can still be found in NOS or Repro Form in Mexico.

Thanks for the information, the help is appreciated.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Well I have been learning a lot.
I appear to have two different retainers for the euro headlights. One metal and one plastic. The plastic unit seems to have a few issues and has different length clips. What is that part called? Is it a T3 only part? Are the actual bulb holders specific to T3 or are they used on multi models.
Here are my two retainers

Are all the door winders the same except for the knobs? I use replica billet knobs that are powder coated from John Copello so I need to know which years I can use for the arm part. I found the winder retainer clips at my local nut and bolt shop McFadden Dale for like 75cents.
Have the fresh air boxes and dash vents, roof should be on the way tomorrow and a few other parts.
I cant find a good picture of what the headlight bowl looks like in a 63. The mounts in my two fenders don't match so I need to know what is correct so I can fix it.
And the hunt continues.

It sounds like you might have one fender for US Pec headlights and one for European. Did you resolve this? Any other updates?

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: should I keep the brace Reply with quote

Some update news
All of the lap joints are now butt welds
No more rust anywhere anymore that I can find. It seemed that if there was body filler there was a rust hole underneath.
She is a sunroof again, boy what a job that was.
Completely blasted and covered in epoxy primer.
All pan repairs completed and covered with Por15 and then on the underside coated with raptor bed liner.
All inner panels of the body have also had Raptor sprayed on for protection and sound insulation

Todays question, while setting the prostreet freeway flier by KCR I realized that the frame horns have a brace welded in that mounts to the front of the trans lower four bolts. Never having seen a t3 subframe before it never occured to me that it was not a stock brace. Duoh.
Should I keep it?
If I keep it do I just back out the studs and put in some that are longer?
Is there any downside to having this brace?
I am not putting in solid subframe mounts, at least for now as that is another few hundred dollars.

I hope to be able to set the body back on the pan soon..[/img]
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: should I keep the brace Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Some update news
All of the lap joints are now butt welds
No more rust anywhere anymore that I can find. It seemed that if there was body filler there was a rust hole underneath.
She is a sunroof again, boy what a job that was.
Completely blasted and covered in epoxy primer.
All pan repairs completed and covered with Por15 and then on the underside coated with raptor bed liner.
All inner panels of the body have also had Raptor sprayed on for protection and sound insulation

Todays question, while setting the prostreet freeway flier by KCR I realized that the frame horns have a brace welded in that mounts to the front of the trans lower four bolts. Never having seen a t3 subframe before it never occured to me that it was not a stock brace. Duoh.
Should I keep it?
If I keep it do I just back out the studs and put in some that are longer?
Is there any downside to having this brace?
I am not putting in solid subframe mounts, at least for now as that is another few hundred dollars.

I hope to be able to set the body back on the pan soon..[/img]

I believe that's called a solid "mid mount". So, IF you were going with solid mounts for your trans, you keep it in place. If you're not going with a solid mount kit, you'll need to remove it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: What color??? Reply with quote

While it is raining here in So Cal, I know right?, with the body almost completely blocked out it is time to pick a color
Original was Birchwood
Considering Porsche Mexico Blue
Strongly leaning toward a nice red with a white top

Polite replies please Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: