Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been on/off samba for almost 20 years, but been turning wrenches more on my fastback and instead of taking over the What did you do for your Type 3 today? thread I figured I would start a clean thread with just updates and pictures on this car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A little bit of background on the car, back in Feb 2008 I bought what was mostly original a 1970 diamond blue fastback. Except for maybe carpet replacement and few missing bits appeared to be mostly original example of a fastback. It was a clean car, with original paint, few dents and dings, but nothing that was altered in a major way. Still had a fully functional FI and most of the original AC except for missing compressor and part of the dash unit.

My plan was to maintain, and fix bits and pieces that were either missing or needed attention. Later on I had quite a journey with FI and a multi-year hunting of the FI issues 70 FI will not stay running. Long story short on FI was the need for new wiring harness and trigger points for the injectors. It was thanks to the Type 3 community here that I was able to get that resolved.

Over the last decade fastback took a back burner seat with buying and rebuilding a home, starting a family. About a year ago, I finally built a garage and was able to get a bit more time into VWs, not a whole lot, but an hour here and few there. I figured let's get this back into shape and keep it a rolling project, maybe turning into an occasional commuter.

To tally up recent things

1) replacement of transmission end-drive seals. A while back I had transmission lightly rebuilt, a few syncros and end drive housing had to be replaced as it didn't hold the bearing. Apparently the seals for the axles were the thin kind and leaked like crazy. When I got to them, gear oil was pretty low and it was an oily mess.

2) getting dent out of the hood

2) front trunk cardboard replacement. I started to redo the front, but this will need to pause as I need to clean up and close up all the holes from the
A/C system. I will post pictures on this a bit later.

3) door regulators. Passenger door window would not roll down. I ended up taking it apart, getting new clips for the regulators and door cards. The main pitfall was due to the window channels hardening up.

4) replacing a horn. This one was wild as I had dual horns and they no longer worked which turned out that one of them in certain position would make both not sound.

5) replacement of FPR, I've been getting annoyed with having to either bump the key like 6 times to get the fuel pressure up or having to start it twice after sitting for a few hours, so on with a new fuel pressure regulator only to arrive at the same point. Need to check if injectors or coldstart valve are leaking, or maybe new FPR does not hold.

this is how we hold the FPR while tightening the nut on the front side of it...

So the plans are to get all the holes from A/C welded up, I've already made a good progress on this this week. Get interior freshened up, tighten up small bits and then get new 1776 built for it as a stand in while original engine is rebuilt. (it's a bit low on compression and needs exhaust valve addressed).

Stay tuned!

Anton
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Nice progress for a "hit and miss" work schedule on working on it. Sometimes life does get in the way though. Keep the progress pics coming, as it's nice to see others working on their stuff.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

thank you Bob!

So today I got to continue on the floorpans which I started lastweekend.

The goal was to get at least all holes welded up in passenger side, cleaned up and in primer. I was able to weld up holes in both, get everything ground down, lotsa dremmel work on the welds because holes are like in the pockets so can't get in there with the angle grinder. There were probably close to 20 holes all together from the screws that held A/C lines and 2 holes from the retractable seatbelts. I finally figured out how I can retractors off the floor and get the holes closed!

Front of the driver side will have to wait as I just ran out of steam and I think I need to pull the pedals, get them cleaned up and rebushed.

Eventhough pans looked pretty rusty most of it was surface rust except for a few small holes that welded up without too much drama.

Still got tons of glue to clean up. When I bought the car, it came with 1/2 a bucket of glue. Guess where the other half went!

Once floors are wrapped up, I'll be attacking holes in the "firewall". Not sure if I am going to weld them completely or just make covers that will either hold with screws like inspection plates.

Cheers!
Anton
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Second coat of rustoleum, now we wait and onto more holes and windshield, hopefully bottom corners in the window aperture are okay.🤞

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Looking good. Nice progress. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

thanks!

while last coat is drying I had a little bit of time and decided to start making cover plates for the gaping hole in the "firewall"

I figured that the metal is about 20 gauge and made a cover out of 18. It will be attached using existing screw holes and will have a 1/4 inch rubber gasket. I still need to clean up the top edge of that hole as it is bent into the trunk. This will have to wait until the windshild is out.

while I was in that general area I decided to replace evap hoses. these were long overdue

I don't remember if the T part was attached with tape or a piece of vinyl like some holes in the back. I used left over scraps to reattach it with generic adhesive and cover another hole. Can't wait to finish up these holes and get my trunk liner back in.

I also went through the parts stash and dug up seals and foot rests. Footrests will need some hammer and dolly as they have gotten bent over the years. No big deal.

Here is our windshield that's been patiently awaiting.

I'll try to save the original glass. It has deleminated over an inch under my "ownership".

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Get a couple gallons of Diamond Blue mixed up, so you can repaint the exterior hood/fender/door etc as they are ready for fresh paint?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Any suggestions on where to get it from? I have a few rattle cans mixed up, but previously it wasn’t a good match. Was a bit darker
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

I would buy it Locally so you could mix up a 1/2 pint or spray can for sprayout test cards.
Pick a better color card to mix up and test spray.
My 69 diamond blue was repainted only on the exterior.
Nobody notices that my exterior/interior blues are a little different.
They used black fender beading to put it back together afterwards.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
Any suggestions on where to get it from? I have a few rattle cans mixed up, but previously it wasn’t a good match. Was a bit darker

Keep in mind that VW used a white base primer under the actual color. For some reason this seems to make a difference in trying to color match paints on our cars. I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Yep , white primer for light color and brown for dark paints. Oddly enough left front fender is showing brown primer.

Over the weekend I got footrests straightened and sprayed with rustoleum gloss black. These panels are thin and grooves do not really add much to rigidity. Even passenger side had a nice bow in it.

Not a big project but anything involving multiple coats of paint tends to take a few days to finish.

I’ve been looking at sound proofing the floors, and I am leaning towards 1/4 inch rubber sheets. Should glue on with a few squirt of spray glue, provide good insulation and cushion for the carpet. Hopefully I can find something that isn’t made from recycled tires as crap made from recycled plastic starts to stink and fall apart within a few years.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

A bit more progress. I pulled pedal cluster and finished up driver side floor pan, it’s cleaned up and in primer. Looks pretty solid around the stop plate, no cracks or anything that will make the rest position not adjustable.

Pedal cluster was a bit crusty and appears as clutch and brake pedals were a bit too close to driver. Always felt like I have to deliberately lift foot off the accelerator to get to the brake.

I was able to break down the cluster evaluate everything and get some paint on the pedals. Small bushings were a pain but got them out.

I am trying to see if I can add a zerk to the pedal cluster but I think it will need a pass though holes to the clutch shaft.

Now I wait for more parts….

akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Finally got pedal cluster reassembled with new bushings, pads and springs. I did add a grease fitting and holes between clutch shaft and break pedal. Greased up perfectly.

Had to take pedal cluster 4 times because I kept losing the clutch cable
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

I use a wire and paper/plastic bread tie to hold the cable end to the clutch hook. It's worked well for me for years.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I use a wire and paper/plastic bread tie to hold the cable end to the clutch hook. It's worked well for me for years.

Yes, I tried that too, but because I removed the pedal stop, clutch pedal would flop on the floor and cable was getting unhooked. I put a cardboard box behind the pedal to keep it upright and it worked out. Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Yes, I tried that too, but because I removed the pedal stop, clutch pedal would flop on the floor and cable was getting unhooked. I put a cardboard box behind the pedal to keep it upright and it worked out. Laughing

Sometimes you have to improvise or think outside of the "box". Wink Whatever works. I work on all sorts of odd stuff that requires "thinking outside of the box".
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Alright, this isn't a dead thread Very Happy after getting through the pedal cluster reinstall, with a help of box. I've been slowly making my way through patching more holes in the front trunk. These are from all the diffent parts of a/c system that were attached all over the place and one giant gaping hole on the passenger side.

I was doing pretty well welding up all the screw holes and few others when I decided to close up that 2" inch opening with a plug instead of just using a cover.

Well that was probably not the best idea as I didn't account for the hood spring being in the way, the most awkward position to weld and extra depressions on the firewall. I was able to weld it up but once i started griding the welds down, it sort of went down hill. Could not save it even with tig.

So now I am going to have to patch a second blow through hole right behind the spring. While going through all this I did end up gearing with a decent 27 gl compressor and an angle die grinder with 2" and 3" roll locks. Hopefully cubitrons will come this saturday and will save the day.

I aspire to be a better welder, but in the meantime I am becoming a great grinder.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
Alright, this isn't a dead thread Very Happy after getting through the pedal cluster reinstall, with a help of box. I've been slowly making my way through patching more holes in the front trunk. These are from all the diffent parts of a/c system that were attached all over the place and one giant gaping hole on the passenger side.

I was doing pretty well welding up all the screw holes and few others when I decided to close up that 2" inch opening with a plug instead of just using a cover.

Well that was probably not the best idea as I didn't account for the hood spring being in the way, the most awkward position to weld and extra depressions on the firewall. I was able to weld it up but once i started griding the welds down, it sort of went down hill. Could not save it even with tig.

So now I am going to have to patch a second blow through hole right behind the spring. While going through all this I did end up gearing with a decent 27 gl compressor and an angle die grinder with 2" and 3" roll locks. Hopefully cubitrons will come this saturday and will save the day.

I aspire to be a better welder, but in the meantime I am becoming a great grinder.

You'll get better with practice. You gotta start somewhere. I'd probably turn the heat up, then move faster.
Taking that torsion bar out of there would help, but it's such a royal PIA to get back in place you're better off leaving it in place.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

yeah the heat is a bit tricky here because I was rewelding after grinding, things kinda got too thin and I only have 4 settings for amperage on my linc. so this is between b and c.

This really got nasty because of the position and mangled indents on the firewall. If you look closer that big hole was through a depression that sort of looks like a speaker icon. It's kind of peculiar and I am not sure what it's about.

On the bright side the cubitron pads have just arrived! I can't wait to put them to work.

I don't know why I got 80 grit, i was shooting for 36, oh well...
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback "sympathetic restoration" Reply with quote

Yesterday I was able to reweld all the burn through holes, actually had to turn down heat because with grinding this uneven area, metal got really thin, and it was tricky to figure out how and where to add, grind.

I figured there was no way to get that completely smooth with all the rewelding and stopped at good enough for something that would be covered by the liner anyway.

if anybody is using 3" and 2" inch rolocs on die grinder I highly recommend getting cubitron disks. It was a huge difference and cuts like butter even with the 80 grit.

I still have a few small holes to weld but those are in the wheel wells and will be much easier.

Now to figure out how I can get positive battery cable put back in. I am thinking of coat hanger...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: