Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Just recently bought a 76 Baywindow and the previous owner unplugged and cut into most of the wires in the engine compartment all the wire diagrams i've seen are for earlier models and don't have all the wires my bus has except for the one elongated diagram which i don't understand Does anybody have a link to a straightforward wire diagram out there?
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Got any photos of your engine wiring issues?

This is the wiring diagram you're looking for. Engine wiring starts at current track #67 (numbers highlighted in yellow along the bottom).

Grounds along the bottom.
Lights, relays, motors, switches, etc in the middle.
Fuses up top (they start with S)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Perfect thats what i was looking for Thanks for the diagram hopefully i can figure this mess out now
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Reading DIM current track style wiring diagrams
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Is it just me or is this wire diagram almost impossible to follow I have no problem following or understanding a normal wire diagram but i'm completely lost with this one Is there and other engine bay diagram out there that i could use
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
Is it just me or is this wire diagram almost impossible to follow I have no problem following or understanding a normal wire diagram but i'm completely lost with this one Is there and other engine bay diagram out there that i could use

Take the time to learn how to read it, it will start to make sense. See the link posted above for how to read them.

It's designed so that all current flows are shown as going from power at the top to ground at the bottom.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I'm tring still can't trace the wires the diagram shows one of the positive coil wires going to the back up lights all the wires disappear into looms or appear to be missing completely the colors are either faded to gray or cut the previous owner hacked into everything so i may have to just run all new wires Iv'e installed complete wire looms in Vw's and i'm completely lost with all the fuel injection wires Thanks for trying to help me though!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
Is it just me ?

Yep, it's just you Very Happy

You may be trying to comprehend more than one circuit at a time, that can lead to overwhelming confusion, even for a pro.
Lets examine the backup light circuit in depth and see if you can make some sense of it.

We'll start at the lights themselves and work our way backwards. Follow the yellow line across the bottom of the diagram until you find 65 & 66 and go straight up from there until you find 2 circles with an X in them, those are the bulbs. The line along the bottom is the ground, there's thin black lines showing where they splice into other wires and terminate at 31 & 38 (all grounds on a VW are brown BTW). Leading up from the bulbs are a couple black lines, that means the wire is black, they join each other at a terminal called T1e (see the key page for it's location), then a single wire continues to the switch (F4), from there the black wire continues to a fuse (S21) which then leads to a terminal numbered 15 on N (homework assignment; name N using the key page). You'll notice other black wires are connected to that same #15 terminal on N, one heads up and to the left and connects to the top side of S11 (that's a fuse), since it's on the top side it means it's on the supply side of the fuse (remember power flows down on these charts), it's shown connected to a thin black line which depicts a bus bar (solid brass strip) on the fuse block that's also eventually connected to the ignition switch. Here's where it becomes decieving, that short looking wire between N and S11 is as long as the bus and leads from the fuse box to the coil (ooops, did I just give away the homework answer?), you have to use the terminal positions and part names provided in the key to determine where these parts are located, it's not pictoral in a way that matches physical locations in the bus, pictures of short wires could be a wormhole to another universe.
Anyway, back to N, there's a third wire shown on #15 that leads up and to the right and then back down to terminal #86c on something labelled J40, many times that wire is combined into the unfused end of that fuse holder for the backup lights so even though the diagram says it's separate it may be joined at another part of the circuit, bottom line is both feed off of #15 somehow and #15 gets it's power from the wire coming from the fuse box bus bar.

Those FI wires haven't faded, they were white when new, but if you look closely they all have a little tiny number printed on them near each terminal, those match up with the ones on the diagram, if you can't find every one use the process of elimination through oter wires in a plug, or read the terminal numbers on the component they plug into.

Trust the colors on wires in the harness, if it's black where it comes out at the firewall it's the same black wire that comes out of the fat harness coming up to the fuse box in the lower nose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
I'm tring still can't trace the wires the diagram shows one of the positive coil wires going to the back up lights

YES! See, you're reading it.

The diagram shows that because that's how the back up lights get power. From the coil.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I appreciate your help I couldn't find anything telling me that a x in a circle is a light I guess what confuses me the most is having to go back and fourth between to two pages to figure out what im looking at instead of following a wire from a picture of a coil + all the way to the ignition switch I have a loom with 3 wires coming out and i know one of them energizes the coil the other two i can't figure out I assume one of them goes to the + on the coil cause it won't reach anything else but the other wire which looks either blue with black stripes or green with black strips Any idea what that wire may go to I've tried ohming them up to the dash with no luck I'm thinking it's the oil pressure wire but i/m afraid of hooking something up wrong and frying the ECU
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
....... the other wire which looks either blue with black stripes or green with black strips Any idea what that wire may go to I've tried ohming them up to the dash with no luck I'm thinking it's the oil pressure wire but i/m afraid of hooking something up wrong and frying the ECU

If that's what you suspect it is look at the key and find oil pressure switch, you'll see it's called F1 and is located at track #44, what color is the wire the diagram shows leading up to the smaller red circles with X's in them?(those are the idiot lights BTW).

Having a look at other diagrams for similar years can offer clues to the symbols, not every one has been fully duplicated here (that's what you get for free), you have to be the detective and find the whole story. Be thankful this stuff is even available and that someone has taken the time to upload it, there's other cars of similar vintage that have no technical information available at all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
I appreciate your help I couldn't find anything telling me that a x in a circle is a light

With these "new" wiring diagrams they went to standard symbols for electrical devices. So a circle with an X in it represents a bulb, a circle with an M in it represents an electric motor, a circle with a G in it represents a generator, etc. What I do like about this style of diagram is they show the inner function/diagram of switches and relays so you can see how activating switches makes the internal connections.

I'm not sure why fuses are represented by the letter S, I can only assume that the German word for fuse starts with an S. Very Happy

Another tip, the current tracks that end in orange circles w/ numbers go to the diagnostic test socket in the engine compartment (pictured as T20 in the diagram) which may or may not still exist in your Bus (a lot of them got ripped out over the years).

As the diagram shows, you should have only 3 wires to the + terminal on the coil, all of which are black. One comes from ignition switch to energize the coil, one goes to back up lights to power them, and one goes to the double relay to power up the FI when you turn the key on.

On the - side of the coil you should have the green wire to the condenser, the white wire to the FI ECU (this is how the ECU knows engine rpm) and originally a grey/green wire to the test socket which probably isn't there anymore.

On the diagram K3 is the oil pressure warning light (on the dashboard) and you can see that F1 is the oil pressure switch - the wire connected to it should be green w/ red stripe. But you can see that wire goes through a couple connectors on the way from the light to the switch. At the dash it starts out as a blue wire w/ green stripe, then after a connector it becomes a blue wire w/ black stripe, then the final connector where it goes to green wire w/ red stripe.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
I couldn't find anything telling me that a x in a circle is a light

Fig. 14-1, in your Bentley Type 2 manual, Electrical System chapter, is a table of symbols used in the current-flow electrical diagrams.
The next two pages in the manual is a detailed explanation of how the diagrams work. Apparently you looked in neither place.
If you're going to be doing work on your bus, you need one of those manuals.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Sicherung auf Duetsch , for Fuse

You do have to keep the German abbreviations for colours handy too, but the three that will get you 99 percent of the way are

ws Weiss white - made famous by Karin in "Mean Girls"
sw schwarz Black - made famous by Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles - NSFW
ge gelb yellow

pretty good YouTube, 5 minutes , here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr0o69-0eik
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Neither the standard nor the DIM diagrams can help you wire a hacked Bus - that knowledge goes to the grave with the PO.

The current track diagrams are much better for diagnosis and once you get relays and logic involved, like in FIJ, they are the only way to convey the information. The head game you have to play with yourself is to stop thinking about following the wires in the car and where they go, focus on wiring function instead.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

It took me a little while but i THINK i may have this figured this thing out thanks to everyones help and input I can see i definitely need to invest in a manual for this Next onto the vacuum lines and hoses which seem fairly straight forward, then i'll attempt to fire it up Wish me luck Thanks again for all your input it really helped!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Go down to --VACUUM HOSE DIAGRAMS
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Well i went to put the battery in and the negative cable sparked with no key and everything off I put a test light between the negative post of the battery and the negative battery cable and i have a bright light meaning i have a power draw i pulled the fuses one by one and the light stayed on I double checked all the wires and believe they are hooked up right Any ideas on how to start looking for what maybe drawing the power?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

If there are no extra wires connected to the battery.

Pull the fuse box out and start pulling one wire connector at a time on the Feed (power supply) side. That will be the side with the least amount of wire on it. This will isolate which Feed the draw is in.

Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the cables the correct way around?, as in your PO installed a red cable for the ground?

If that checks out try disconnecting the main alternator lead from the starter and see if the sparks persist.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: