Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Mod to 54
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

I finally had the opportunity to get some touch up work done on my 54's paint. While doing so, I had the rear weatherstrip shaved off and went with the Mexican Style weatherstrip.

So much cleaner...in my opinion, sorry purists

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A big thanks to Caney Creek Collision, just east of Conroe, TX. These guys specialize in VW's and do great work. They have painted several dLk show winner cars.

Next year I'll have the front hood weatherstrip shaved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

Looks very nice. Can't make much difference if the car is already modded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

I did that front and rear on my car. I think it is a much cleaner look!

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

It's a great mod, I just wish I did it when I originally painted the car.

It looks cleaner, easy to clean, and no more hidden crap beneath the channel

I needed Jason to fix a small crack in my rear apron, so this was the perfect time to take of this too. Can't wait to do the front as well
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

does the new seal just press on to the deckled channel?
i'm not familiar with the that style, looks clean though i like it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

The seal has a soft rubber part and then a steel c-shaped portion covered in rubber...the seal simply slips over the edge of the deck lid. Easy to install in less than 5 minutes
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

I like it - glad you went and talked to them. Great guys and some serious skill
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

Why bother with the deck lid seal on an oval? The engine compartment isn't sealed anyway. I shaved the seal on a '63 Bug years ago and ran without one. Little if any water made it over the lip on the body and apron. We didn't have that slick press on seal in the late '80's so the hood retained the stock seal.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

Without the seal, the hood would beat the hell out of the apron. Not too worried about water
luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Mod to 54 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i did it, too.. because the small metal rail for holding the original seal is a rust nest (here in rainy germany). and it looks better imo, even not original..

just left a small gap on the lower end for letting the water drain.

at front on the upper windshield part i used a small "maccaroni" seal with self adhesive side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: