Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Lots of good points being made in both directions in this thread.
More robust discussion on the topic being had here in a car forum that anything going on in congress.
SAD!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

I completely agree about the infrastructure, the backbone of those that erected the veins of America have diminished, trades are elsewhere glamorized with promises of success, whereas folks make 60k, have it eaten by taxes and acquire lifelong debt.

It would probably baffle architects, engineers, and finanical advisors of the time, say even 63, that the global populations would nearly TRIPLE in a means of 50 years, no one could project such numbers. Cars go from 1800lbs to 4000lbs, and increase the household vehicle count from 1 car to 3, I'd say the cusp is spilling over.
I'm happy to know there are educated,opinionated, and logical folks still around, regardless of ones perspective, I appreciate the fact one has a backbone. Well, and a brain.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Just be proud of the fact that some enterprising youngsters, for better or for worse, will replace Skills' penchant for "hybridizing" a classic VW with a Subaru, with a real hybrid or totaled Tesla to keep the hobby alive.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/thedriv...source=dam

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

I converted a '69 beetle to 144 Volt, 15KW power for shits and giggles a few years back at a net cost of about $5500 (after $5500 state rebate). The Beetle is a popular conversion platform. It was kinda fun, but my lack of mastery of electrical systems was a real hurdle and I still periodically fry electronics. Also, the conversion far outperforms a stock beetle (for about 40 miles range) and is completely reversible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I converted a '69 beetle to 144 Volt, 15KW power for shits and giggles a few years back at a net cost of about $5500 (after $5500 state rebate).

Your state paid for the conversion?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I converted a '69 beetle to 144 Volt, 15KW power for shits and giggles a few years back at a net cost of about $5500 (after $5500 state rebate). The Beetle is a popular conversion platform. It was kinda fun, but my lack of mastery of electrical systems was a real hurdle and I still periodically fry electronics. Also, the conversion far outperforms a stock beetle (for about 40 miles range) and is completely reversible.

Definitely cool but before the era of bottomless pockets & checkbook restorations, hot rodders would scrounge junkyards & repurpose drivelines from wrecks or other cheaply acquired vehicles to "soup up" their cars instead of buying kits, that's where I was envisioning the future of the hobby should fossil fuels dry up or be outlawed.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
marklaken wrote:

Definitely cool but before the era of bottomless pockets & checkbook restorations, hot rodders would scrounge junkyards & repurpose drivelines from wrecks or other cheaply acquired vehicles to "soup up" their cars instead of buying kits, that's where I was envisioning the future of the hobby should fossil fuels dry up or be outlawed.

None of us will ever see this unless they figure out how to keep us from dying.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
marklaken wrote:

"They" really couldn't give a shit whether we die or not, as long as it doesn't affect them.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
kawfee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
marklaken wrote:

"They" really couldn't give a shit whether we die or not, as long as it doesn't affect them.

Who are 'They' and 'them' ? Are we talking about some sort of grey aliens or a master race or some secret sect? Or are we talking about the idiot greed and power driven politicians that are elected by the people?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Who are 'They' and 'them' ? Are we talking about some sort of grey aliens or a master race or some secret sect? Or are we talking about the idiot greed and power driven politicians that are elected by the people?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Be advised they don't like being exposed to ridicule.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

I heard them say they were going to get them......so i think that means were safe for now. Shocked as for my cars....when I dead and gone I wont care and neither will they. but I realy dont see an end for them,so intill they tell me I wont worry and will keep on going forward with them untill they stop us.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Having angry Prius owners pass my old van really makes my day. Let em all ban whatever they want. Leaves more for the USA! When has the moral high ground ever won anything? Or saved anything?
Peak Capitalism is what they're trying to avoid. Good luck lol.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
When has the moral high ground ever won anything? Or saved anything?

Well, there was this war in the '40s, you see...
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

You mean the War where Germany invaded Poland in September of '39?
I don't think we took the moral high ground on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

You mean the War where Germany invaded Poland in September of '39?
I don't think we took the moral high ground on that one.

Crap! I can't find the "like" button. Sad
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

And don't forget Jesus.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
In the US we have a lot of options. Our society provides for people to do and be anything they want. Vegans, hipsters, recyclers, earth conscious millennials etc etc.

But travel abroad to a third world country and these things are about as common as a unicorn. First world folks just don't have the perspective to understand that this will never... ever... ever... ever be an earth reality.

The greater population lives in a reality where they just throw their garbage in a small valley down the road from their house. The idea of a vegetarian is laughable.... and the feasibility of a electric car or hybrid is unheard of.

As a planet, as a people and as a world society we've subscribed to utilizing fossil fuels and we WILL use those until we run out or poison ourselves. It's fun to banter about the death of the gas fueled car, but there will be no magical clean form of transportation that will save us.

Because a billion impoverished people will do what it takes to survive. Sorry. Reality. Just not going to happen.

Many of these third world countries are producing over 90% of their electricity from renewable sources. The US is far down the list in terms of renewable energy as a percentage of total electricity production with 14-15%. I don't think you can stand on a soapbox and speak for the world and peoples energy preferences. Many countries have and are seriously pushing to reduce pollution from energy production. The fact that European countries are putting pressure on manufacturers to reduce emissions and produce cleaner cars is a step in the right direction long term, but I don't believe that they've worked it out fully in the interim. What they are doing however is applying pressure to make the auto industry understand that cleaner and greener is the future. Germany has pushed and the manufacturers have responded to offer subsidies to individuals if older more poluting diesels are taken off the roads. Manufacturers are responding with large investments into R&D in electric, CNG and hybrid vehicles as well as downsizing engines and squeezing more power from them to improve efficiency. This is the way it will go - cleaner and greener, with new innovations along the way. It would therefore not be surprising if advanced battery technology becomes available in the next 5 years leading to viable production electric vehicles with greater km range and lower price tags. Once the $ flow into this side of the industry, results will come out, and electric vehicles for the masses will be a step on the route to the flux capacitor powered future cars.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
In the US we have a lot of options. Our society provides for people to do and be anything they want. Vegans, hipsters, recyclers, earth conscious millennials etc etc.

But travel abroad to a third world country and these things are about as common as a unicorn. First world folks just don't have the perspective to understand that this will never... ever... ever... ever be an earth reality.

The greater population lives in a reality where they just throw their garbage in a small valley down the road from their house. The idea of a vegetarian is laughable.... and the feasibility of a electric car or hybrid is unheard of.

As a planet, as a people and as a world society we've subscribed to utilizing fossil fuels and we WILL use those until we run out or poison ourselves. It's fun to banter about the death of the gas fueled car, but there will be no magical clean form of transportation that will save us.

Because a billion impoverished people will do what it takes to survive. Sorry. Reality. Just not going to happen.

Many of these third world countries are producing over 90% of their electricity from renewable sources. The US is far down the list in terms of renewable energy as a percentage of total electricity production with 14-15%. I don't think you can stand on a soapbox and speak for the world and peoples energy preferences. Many countries have and are seriously pushing to reduce pollution from energy production. The fact that European countries are putting pressure on manufacturers to reduce emissions and produce cleaner cars is a step in the right direction long term, but I don't believe that they've worked it out fully in the interim. What they are doing however is applying pressure to make the auto industry understand that cleaner and greener is the future. Germany has pushed and the manufacturers have responded to offer subsidies to individuals if older more poluting diesels are taken off the roads. Manufacturers are responding with large investments into R&D in electric, CNG and hybrid vehicles as well as downsizing engines and squeezing more power from them to improve efficiency. This is the way it will go - cleaner and greener, with new innovations along the way. It would therefore not be surprising if advanced battery technology becomes available in the next 5 years leading to viable production electric vehicles with greater km range and lower price tags. Once the $ flow into this side of the industry, results will come out, and electric vehicles for the masses will be a step on the route to the flux capacitor powered future cars.

When all of the above is accomplished the next thing to be controlled in earnest is human population
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: End of the road already sight for internal combustion classics? Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

Many of these third world countries are producing over 90% of their electricity from renewable sources..

The US has over 260 million gas vehicles, I say that is a pretty strong market for fossil fuels. Try to replace and or retrofit with so called renewal energy (everything is renewable, even poop! Heck, I think I may come back as poop or petroleum in a million years) it may be extremely difficult. Having travelled to a few third world countries, it seem easier as they never had anything to begin with. given the alternative, they choose the latter.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: