Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

H block. 34 Pict 3 Carb. Stock vacuum advance distributor.

Starting a new thread - its a continuation of "is it vapor lock?"

Long story short after the car was warm, it would die after hard acceleration. High RPM let off the gas, put in the clutch and it would just quietly die. It would start up and idle and i could drive it if i kept the revs low and drove it lightly

Things I have done and the result.

Installed new points and condenser. 44º dwell. 914 RPM idle. The problem did not improve.

Turned the idle mixture screw in one half turn and it ran worse. Stumbled, misfire,back fire.

Turned the idle mixture back to it original position and it stumbled etc less but it was still bad.worse than just dying at stop lights.

Popped the top of the car and there was rust sediment at the bottom of the bowl. Cleaned it out sprayed carb cleaner. Installed a new gasket. And now the car barely idles. Hit the gas and it goes flat if it does pick up it lags and dies.

Getting frustrated because things seem to be getting worse.

I ordered another set of points and condenser thinking the ones i picked up at the local advance auto might not be correct.

The car has run trouble free for 6 years but when i pulled it out of storage this year i didn't have time to put the drive time into it that normally would. Now I can't even get it out of the driveway without it dying.

Don't know what I should or shouldn't be doing. Sort of opened up the issue on two fronts: ignition and fuel/carb. Feel like i am making things worse and i don't know what the issue might be.

Getting ticked

D74
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes I would remove/disassemble the carb and give a thorough cleaning.

Did you try backing off the idle mix screw half a turn past its original setting?
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

i went a quarter turn back with the engine running and didn't notice a change.

i am wondering if i didn't clog the main jet t=during my cleaning attempt
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

Pull the idle jet look for a spec of dirt blocking it. When you look down the barrel and pull the throttle do you get a steady squirt of gas, if not then the pump jet is plugged or passage. Remove it and clean it by blowing cleaner from the nozzle back through the tube. Not sure if that will cure your problem but it won't hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

X2 on pulling the carb completely apart. Soak it in Berrymans carb cleaner for a couple of hours. Then, put both parts and all the jets (removed from the body) in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. Harbour Freight sells the for $70 dollars and they work REALLY good.

Your symptoms sound like a dirty idle circuit or jets. When you put the carb back together, make sure you measure the fuel level in the bowl. It's VERY important this height is correct for the idle circuit.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

IMO you simply have a bad vacuum leak probably at the throttle bushings in the carb. At any rate I can almost guarantee that the carb IS the root of your problem. It MUST be sent to Tim @ volkzbitz. You will never get it to run properly unless it is professionally restored. I must do the same with the 34 PICT 3 on my 72 super.
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

fortunately the carb is 6 years old

BUT yeah... i guess it needs to come off.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
You will never get it to run properly unless it is professionally restored.

Only if the throttle shaft bushings are leaking does it need to be sent out to get those replaced. If it's simply dirty, cleaning it and then ensuring it's set up and adjusted correctly will make it purr unless it's a third world copy of the 34-3.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

Is the idle solenoid cutoff snug?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

if memory serves it is a Bocar carb.

i haven't had an issue with it since it went into service 6 years ago. obviously rust particles in the bowl are going to screw things up. i have always run a filter so in addition to cleaning out the carb - i need to find the source of the rust. not sure how good those plastic filters are but i was surprised at the amount of rust in the bowl.

idle solenoid cutoff snug and clicking.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

Can you ask the mods to delete the other thread?

If you don't use the car on e regular basis and it gets stored on the winters, rust will form. It's just a byproduct of the fuel just sitting in a metal tank. Just remove the carb and give it a thorough cleaning and go from there.

Link

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

You can check for a vacuum leak with a can of aerosol carb cleaner. I always start at the intake to head gasket areas. Just aim the straw at that area and spray a tiny shot at that gasket. If the Rpms increase in response, you most likely have a vacuum leak where you sprayed. You can then test at the base of the carb and throttle shaft bushings. When spraying near the carb, be aware that those loose combustible molecules will find there way into the carb intake, so do not get mislead by that. You need to be methodical and aware of the response. Vacuum leaks are immediate. When those loose molecules find their way into the carb throat, there is a slight lag in rpm response. It's all by ear. Takes a little practice but lends itself to accurate diagnosis once proficiency is achieved. Small learning curve, but not hard. For starters, you can spray a quick shot directly at the carb intake. You will either get an increase in rpms (lean) or a bog (rich). You want a very tiny bog. Diagnosed 1000s of carb with this method, from Datsun side drafts, 4 barrel GMs, 8 barreled ferrais, to the single solex on a bug. It works every time with solid results. Propane torches (unlit) work well too. Those lighting clicker things my wife uses for candles will also work (I was in a pinch and grabbed one, just disable the piezo from igniting!) Although the flame does lean towards the vacuum leak area when it gets close, but the result is not good! Been there.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

rust: i get that rust form from age and storage. i was just curious how its making past the filter...unless those plastic filters are as junky as they look. i would think i would see deposits on or in the filter.

vacuum leak: i started to do a spray down and ran out of carb cleaner lol. nothing changed as result but again i didn't do a complete test. just the manifolds.

both the engine and the carb have very low miles. the carb was new when the rebuilt engine was installed 6 years ago.

my dad was diagnosed with stomach caner and it sat for a summer before he passed away. my uncle who is a skilled vw bug enthusiast got it running and tuned (i do not know if he drained the tank - if recall the answer is "yes") i haven't touched the carb since only to drain the bowl for storage. (i also store the car with a fuel tank and K100),

after work tonight i am going to have a little time so i will see if anything has changed over night. after that i going to check the bowl, inspect/clean the main jet and idle jet. and see if conditions improve.

after that vacuum spray test.

and from there start drinking??

(the filter set up has changed from the photo below))

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

denver_74 wrote:

Popped the top of the car and there was rust sediment at the bottom of the bowl. Cleaned it out sprayed carb cleaner. Installed a new gasket. And now the car barely idles. Hit the gas and it goes flat if it does pick up it lags and dies.

You have identified rust sediment in the carb, this means you MUST take carb apart and flush out all jets and passages with carb cleaner. It is likely that you have sediment blocking the small openings in jets and/or the small passages in the carb. It doesn't take much to block up the idle circuit.

You cannot continue troubleshooting until you know the carb is clean or you'll just be chasing your tail.
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

rebuild parts on order.

did the vacuum spray test. no changes

cleaned out the bowl (yet again).

measured fuel level in the bowl: 22mm (only one thin steel washer
float valve washer under the float valve)

cleaned pilot jet, main jet, air correction jet etc etc. and all openings with chem tool, blasted everything with compressed air.

and while its not perfect the car is no longer stumbling or dying when i hit the accelerator. (an improvement over yesterday)

i was unable to road test (ran out of time) but i did some sustained high rev pulls on the throttle in the driveway and 3 out of the 5 times it didn't die.

so problem not solved but better
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

denver_74 wrote:
i did some sustained high rev pulls on the throttle in the driveway and 3 out of the 5 times it didn't die.

That's a passing grade Razz
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

Here's what your float level should be.

This picture shows the fuel level in the carb and it's importance in the idling circuit.

VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

denver_74 wrote:

The red vacuum pipe from the EGR is connected to the wrong port on the carburetor. It should be connected to the lower port behind the EGR that points up at 45 degrees. Cap the port that its connected to on the carburetor at the moment.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

float level: if i understand correctly, my float level is low. i measured from bowl rim to fuel using a right angle gauge with the car on level ground. if i have one thin washer how do i raise the float level? remove the single float washer??

EGR connection: this is interesting. i will cap the current port on the carb.
move the redline to the 45º port? if i don't have 45º port? does the red tube get capped as well or leave it open?

d74
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Idles. Stumbles and dies. Things are getting worse. HELP Reply with quote

denver_74 wrote:
float level: if i understand correctly, my float level is low. i measured from bowl rim to fuel using a right angle gauge with the car on level ground. if i have one thin washer how do i raise the float level? remove the single float washer??

EGR connection: this is interesting. i will cap the current port on the carb.
move the redline to the 45º port? if i don't have 45º port? does the red tube get capped as well or leave it open?

d74

Take the washer off and measure it. If it's the smallest one available then you could try w/out the washer.

You're starting to get a better understanding of the limitations of the reproduction parts, including that carb. Your engine is pretty stock minus the correct air filter. It may be time to get a restored German Solex on there that has the correct ports, etc.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: