Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did I just buy!?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

Well, it appeared to be a deal...

$275

FAJS 44 IDF

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

many times appearances are deceiving....like that hot chick across the other side of the bar that turns out to have a on of bondo and paint to make her look like something he aint Shocked ....as for your carb purchase...lettuce know . most any thing can be fixed & run but ...it sometimes takes too much time,parts effort and the right person. and then the issue is getting all those togeather at one time and doing it. kinda like the woman for all seasons...just dont ever let them meat each other... Shocked oops meet each other Wink
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
many times appearances are deceiving....like that hot chick across the other side of the bar that turns out to have a on of bondo and paint to make her look like something he aint Shocked ....as for your carb purchase...lettuce know . most any thing can be fixed & run but ...it sometimes takes too much time,parts effort and the right person. and then the issue is getting all those togeather at one time and doing it. kinda like the woman for all seasons...just dont ever let them meat each other... Shocked oops meet each other Wink

ummm...

thanks? that was helpful...?

Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

They aren't the greatest carbs in the world. I have a pair of FAJ's 40's and have made them work for what they are. You have the cast CB linkage so that's a plus. If those manifolds are "off set" even better.
This might help ya get them set up,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667351&highlight=
Make sure to clean them thoroughly before trying to install them. There's a ton of crap trapped everywhere. Since yours look like they have been run. Cleaning is an even better idea.
Pay attention as to how the AUX vents are installed. I put mine in upside down and had a hell of a time figuring out what I did wrong Embarassed

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

I'll be a little more optimistic, and say that it looks like you got a good deal. Pull them apart, clean and record all jet sizes. Back out the idle speed screw, close the butterflies fully, then look through the throats at a bright light to check for shaft twist. Amount of light should shine equally through all throats.

Good luck.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

To be clear. I purchased them off a guy who pulled them straight off his 2110, so they were already setup and running... he got a set of Dellorots.

So I'm am hoping I they are already ready to go...
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

Of the China carbs the FAJS seem to be about the best... Mine did have a load of crud in the bodies as new though as mentioned about but if yours have already run I would say you're good to go... If that included linkages and manifolds you got a good deal Smile
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Of the China carbs the FAJS seem to be about the best... Mine did have a load of crud in the bodies as new though as mentioned about but if yours have already run I would say you're good to go... If that included linkages and manifolds you got a good deal Smile

Yes, pulled off a bug w/manafolds, and linkage. So Ya. I figured I could give them a shot. Were running for about a year on another Type 1 motor...

Pulled off working.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

I have a set that works perfect. Run em
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

After further inspection... it would appear that they have offset manifolds, and possibly the CB Performance linkage. The PO apparently set them up pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to install them... maybe later today.

How do you adjust these things when they are in the Bug!? Do you need midget hands? Are there some tricks that you all use?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

There are mixed results withém.
I just threw a set of 44 Fajs in the bin after fighting them for three full days. Very uneven fuel distribution, engine cutting out and loading up, every time I went for a drive I could readjust when I came back to the shop. Finally said ENUF!!!
Then spent 5 hours cleaning and restoring a set of Dells. Installed them, adjusted them, and the engine runs like a bat out of,,,, well you know where. Still need to get on the dyno for final trimming though.
I have had my share of these copies now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

I have pretty big hands. When adjusting the carbs I have to be on my knees and contort my wrists to reach the mixture screws. Takes a little practice, but you'll get it.
What's your engine specs? What dist are you running? What's the current jetting in those carbs? What size of exhaust and what brand?
Also read the "wideband results" thread. Even if you don't have a WB. You will learn the proper way to tune dual 2bbl carbs.
Think of them as one individual carb per cylinder. You tune them one at a time for the best result.
The most critical adjustment is getting the carbs synced. Fail at that and you will have an engine that runs terrible. Get it right and you won't believe the way your engine performs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837 <wideband results thread.
kevlarian wrote:

How do you adjust these things when they are in the Bug!? Do you need midget hands? Are there some tricks that you all use?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have pretty big hands. When adjusting the carbs I have to be on my knees and contort my wrists to reach the mixture screws. Takes a little practice, but you'll get it.
What's your engine specs? What dist are you running? What's the current jetting in those carbs? What size of exhaust and what brand?
Also read the "wideband results" thread. Even if you don't have a WB. You will learn the proper way to tune dual 2bbl carbs.
Think of them as one individual carb per cylinder. You tune them one at a time for the best result.
The most critical adjustment is getting the carbs synced. Fail at that and you will have an engine that runs terrible. Get it right and you won't believe the way your engine performs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837 <wideband results thread.
kevlarian wrote:

Thanks! Yes. I have to purchase a sync tool. I've only had Kads and they don't require a sync tool. This is all new to me. Hope these "EMPI/Chinese" ones work out...

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
, and the engine runs like a bat out of,,,, well you know where. .

Don't think you're destined to arrive somewhere just by saying it. OKINAWA, UK, DOWN UNDA, BARBADOS, NETHERLANDS, COOK ISLANDS, FIJI, BORA BORA, THE MOON!! Nope.. doesn't work. Darn it..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

what if you klick your heals 3 times Shocked . so...whats the "bonus" of offset intakes?? the sets of them Ive see look like poop as far as flow & performance.I kinda like my tall cb big beast intakes...roast beef?..wheres the beef?? taste just like chicken!!!!
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
what if you klick your heals 3 times Shocked . so...whats the "bonus" of offset intakes?? the sets of them Ive see look like poop as far as flow & performance.I kinda like my tall cb big beast intakes...roast beef?..wheres the beef?? taste just like chicken!!!!

Based on a few other posts, it seemed that the offset intake was more desired. I could be wrong.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

I cut holes in the wheel well to tune my IDFs when I had them, btw.

Mark, you wear heels? 'splains alot, Buddy! jk
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:

Wow. That's a bit extreme for me. I don't think I'm ready to make that modification to my 1958 Euro. Hope I can squeeze my hands back there...
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

China? Never seen them before.

Anything else NOT mande in China?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did I just buy!? Reply with quote

kevlarian wrote:
Dauz wrote:

Wow. That's a bit extreme for me. I don't think I'm ready to make that modification to my 1958 Euro. Hope I can squeeze my hands back there...

Well the circular holes I cut with metal holesaw blades look factory. Youd never see them unless you were specifically looking for them. And you could keep them plugged with rubber grommets. Work smarter.. not harder
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: