Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Period Colour Lowlight Pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
found this one online today... 56 plate, with early all vinyl rear seat so 55 car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Highly likely yes, although the vinyl interior did cross into early January.

A proud owner wiping it down, looks immaculate!
I need a pipe, hat and those trousers for when I'm next out in mine Laughing
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

I wonder how many 55s made it to the USA that early? my nov 55 car has a 56 registration. I wondered if it was maybe your car but the mirror is in a different location...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
I wonder how many 55s made it to the USA that early? my nov 55 car has a 56 registration. I wondered if it was maybe your car but the mirror is in a different location...

Would be cool, but it's not mine, it has a New Mexico plate, mine was in C.A from new.

I think very few, if any made it there in '55. Even though mine was ordered in Oct. '55 it wasn't delivered/registered until 3rd Jan. '56.

These two magazines are from April/May '56, inside they talk about how hard it was to get one to road test.With magazines working 2-3 months in advance that would put it in early '56 when they were tested.

Interesting to note the one on the left appears to have a red rear seat?..

GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Pearl white cabrio looking good..

Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Aerosilver at Mille Miglia 1958. I hope someone has the research on this entry.

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Found this on Wikipedia... "The race was banned after two fatal crashes in 1957. The first was the crash of a 4.2-litre Ferrari 335 S that took the lives of the Spanish driver Alfonso de Portago, his co-driver/navigator Edmund Nelson, and nine spectators, at the village of Guidizzolo.[2] Five of the spectators killed were children, all of whom were standing along the race course. Portago desperately wanted to win this race and waited too long to make a tyre change. The crash was caused by a worn tyre. The manufacturer was sued for this, as was the Ferrari team.

The second car crash, in Brescia, took the life of Joseph Göttgens. He was driving a Triumph TR3.

From 1958 to 1961, the event resumed as a rallying-like round trip at legal speeds with a few special stages driven at full speed, but this was discontinued also."

Found out that a Ferrari won the 58 race but no full lists, I would say a search in Italian would give you more details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

This is the cover-picture of Volkswagen Company Magazine number 48 in 1960. it Shows the handing over of the lowlight to the indonesian president Dr. Ing. Sukarno, the person in White uniform. the Person who give him the car was Director F. D. M. Panggabean. general-impoteur of N.V. Handelmaatschappij Piola

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Great image of a Colorado/Cardinal red cabrio..

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Super cool Antelope brown!

Link
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Wow!! No clock! Love that color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

Shocked Yeah, what's up with that?

I've never seen that before - there doesn't seem to even be a hole covered with a "delete" plate for the missing clock as you woud find in a Ghia with no radio.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
Super cool Antelope brown!

Link

I bet that Ghia is the same Ghia in this picture below...both video and picture part of "Aral AG's" avertising campaign of the time. As I found out previously the large building is "Aral AG" headquarters and of course their up-market filling station.

John Moxon wrote:
RockStock wrote:
Antelope Brown 56/7 Coupe

I like a challenge so I did a little digging into this picture. The location is a filling station outside the old headquarters of "BV ARAL AG." 45 Wittener Str. Bochum, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

Parts of the old HQ building still exist but now belong to BP and the once ARAL "flagship" filling station is sadly just an ARAL office block. This link shows the current street view...you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser to get it to work.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4774714,7.228688...312!8i6656

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
calexican wrote:

Shocked Yeah, what's up with that?

I've never seen that before - there doesn't seem to even be a hole covered with a "delete" plate for the missing clock as you woud find in a Ghia with no radio.

The dash shot looks like an artists impression to me, not actual footage, strange that they didn't draw in the clock.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

curios... very very curios....
Looks like that the dashupholstery was remounted, at right a start-engine-button?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's a mock up for the animation. It might not be the real thing but something drawn up by an animation artist. Similarly, the background has a surreal look to it, suggesting it too is artificial.

Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I'm thinking it's a mock up for the animation. It might not be the real thing but something drawn up by an animation artist. Similarly, the background has a surreal look to it, suggesting it too is artificial.

Nicholas

After going back and watching it again, I think you're correct.

That dashboard is only featured in the portion where the small animated Service Station Attendant is floating around the screen.
I think I've become so used to the modern CGI methods used to create an animated scene - or even a hybrid live action scene with animation added - that I forget those techniques weren't always available.

Back when that commercial was created, they may not have had a method available to meld the animated character into a live action shot filmed from the perspective of the Karmann Ghia's driver.
Everything in that scene, from the Ghia's interior to those portions of the Service Station seen through the windshield, are likely animated.

I'd bet the animator never dreamed anyone would even notice that his dashboard details didn't exactly match those of an actual Karmann Ghia's dashboard.
... or perhaps he was a frustrated automotive designer wanna-be who thought he could improve upon the Ghia studio's original dashboard design.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

Cool colour picture of a smooth 56/57 Trout Blue coupe
Interesting Americana background detail too
Love the dark blue thinbacks
Not sure what she’s holding

Good luck wearing the hat in the car
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Period Colour Lowlight Pictures Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Cool colour picture of a smooth 56/57 Trout Blue coupe
Interesting Americana background detail too
Love the dark blue thinbacks
Not sure what she’s holding

Good luck wearing the hat in the car

It's a simple story.
She's just got back from a couple of days in Ensenada. Earlier in the day they made the mistake of stopping off in Tijuana where she was dragged off the street by a local gift shop salesman being held hostage until she bought a stylish Sombrero. On the way back to the car she was assailed by another salesman who sold her the chromium plated space helmet you see her holding in the picture. When arriving in San Ysidro she is seen busily unpacking the car and looking for a trash can.

Don't ask me how I know. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: