Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
but now makes noise in neutral while rolling at most any speed
<snip>
Ive checked the oil for contaminants, theres nothing and the noise hasn't gotten any worse.

How did you check the oil for contaminants? Did you settle the oil in a clear container and look at the dregs on the bottom? It takes 2-3 weeks ( quicker if warmer). There are many different ways (and many “thresholds for cleanliness”).

If the oil is truly clean, then all is good and doesn’t that suggest you should just open the trans and set the backlash? It should run quiet.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I only pulled the drain enough to get a small hand full of oil. That was after a overnight soak. No visible metal.
Yes I agree that it dosent warrant the trans to come apart but the noise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
I only pulled the drain enough to get a small hand full of oil. That was after a overnight soak. No visible metal.
Yes I agree that it dosent warrant the trans to come apart but the noise?

I’m always surprised at what folks deem to be normal with regard to the hardened steel contaminants appearing in their transmission lubricant. Not saying your standards are lax as I didn’t see it but ‘just sayin’ from what I see on the forum WRT contaminants.

You’re near the top for at least looking at your lubricant, most people won’t go under the van, then the trans craps out and they Wonder why and proclaim a totally magnet as “normal”, assuming it caught and held 95% of the steel. When in reality thats just the 5% of steel that fell from a 2 inch cone directly above the magnet. But yes it is normal for yet another precision mechanical component that has been destroying itself for the last 5, 10,20, 30,000 miles un-maintained. Thats what they do - same as engines but slower and the lack of catastrophe fails to excite anyone but the person who gets the eye-popping repair estimate.

If you HAVE noise that’s certainly cause for diagnosis. If diagnosing problems I’d get it hot & drain all, fast, into a clean, clear gallon (buy 1 gallon of water @ Safeway). Does the Subaru have a magnet?

It takes time to settle (week, weeks) not much settles overnight. But if there’s a genuine problem making visible flakes, agreed you’d see them in your overnight stool sample. Provided the trans doesn’t “hold” the heavy stuff somewhere and shows you just some cleaner oil from above. No flakes “suggests” no problem (yet) but backlash making noise is not as good as adjusting it to quiet. I think. I have never seen into a Subi trans. Affecting 3rd gear shifting suggests you look at the bearings supporting the shaft nearest to the 3rd gear hub.

This reversed Subi trans is a whole nother thing! Hope it works out as the Vanagon needs a solution; you guys accepting this $$ risk and then using your own vans to work out the problems helps the rest of us for sure! Without a OEM engineering team it will take time and vans.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Entirely different .. but, I'll throw this in for thought.

I used a 1980 Air-cool tranny with my TDI. I installed $1,000+ in Weddle replacement parts and upgrades. I replaced all the bearings except the pinion bearing, new syncro rings, new reverse, new upgraded 3/4 hub, new 3/4 shift fork, taller 3rd & 4th, etc.

From day one, 3rd gear "roars" when I let up on the accelerator. There's a very slight roar in 4th when I let up on the accelerator. I never used a torque wrench on anything and I set the Ring & Pinion lash by feel even though I did mark the positions of the adjusting collars. I've since tightened the lash just a smidge.

I've changed the oil/fluid several times, especially in the first few thousand miles. The magnet is always fuzzy with minute dusty metal, no chunks.

Anyway, to date, it has over 80k miles being pushed by the TDI engine. So, I suppose those big-cut after-market gears are responsible for the roar/whine.

With the Subie tranny, I'm curious as to whether or not reversing the design rotation of the Suby tranny has anything to do with the whine you guys have experienced. What are others experiencing? I've followed the Subarugears and read loads of write-ups as well as the info on their web site as I had initially considered going with a Subaru engine. Seems the set-up is no doubt a proven way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I'm curious to hear other's input on their SubaruGears and "noise" they have or haven't had.

I'd be happy to give it another year if Subaru Gears and SubiWorks would give me an extended warranty (another 12 months). Maybe this noise is normal considering, as AnyBees points out, everything is rotating in the other direction?

If you're reading this Todd (SubaruGears), can you contact me? I'd prefer to deal directly with you.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Andy Bees that’s some great, firsthand 091 experience and observations, too bad its buried in some fellers Subaru thread. But it is pertinent to his discussion of gear noise, and there’s not a lot of better info coming in. But I think the Subarus are running all OEM gears? Your Weddle 3rd/4th are large tooth gears for breaking strength not for quietness as the Subaru would be. Is there anyone who can post a pic of subaru 3rd/4th next to VW or Weddle 3rd or 4th?

dlb154 does your trans have a magnet? It will help in diagnosis (and trans health).

Reversing a trans that has helical cut gears reverses the thrust directions. The trans could be designed for a certain thrust direction and be less able to run the 200k miles in reverse. I would trust that Todd has looked at the bearing thrust direction, its the very first thing you would consider. Id sure like to look thru a noisy Subaru trans but all I can do is type.

dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

On initial break-in oil change (around 750-1000 miles) I do not recall that the drain plug was magnetic. There was no fuzz on it or anything to clean off the drain plug.

Bottom of the oil pan did have very fine metal flakes. SubiWorks said that was normal. Is there any harm in attaching a rare-earth magnet to the drain plug, drive it around for a few days, and then drain to see what it collects?

Might be easier said than done if the drain plug is nonferrous.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

You are NOT "reversing the drive" of the transaxle. The newly made R&P is a mirror image of the original, to accommodate the hypoid offset of the housing, while allowing installation of the ring gear on the opposite side. So while the R&P is designed as though the rotation were to be reversed, it actually hasn't been.

What this does is to make what would normally be the coast flank of the R&P teeth the new drive flank (and visa versa).

None of this would be reason for noise or premature wear.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Oops.

Sticking a rare earth magnet to your drainplug is risky. Probably could work. But if it came off.... it will surely stick to some other steel part in there, some with disastrous results. There MUST be an aftermarket plug with a magnet. What is the thread size? Know of a pic on the web?

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the stock Subaru drain plug does have a magnet. It's mounted flush with the top surface of the plug, so it's easy to miss, but it is there.

Dave, I hope you are able to get that transmission looked at quickly and be back on the road soon.

D
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

gears wrote:
You are NOT "reversing the drive" of the transaxle. The newly made R&P is a mirror image of the original, to accommodate the hypoid offset of the housing, while allowing installation of the ring gear on the opposite side. So while the R&P is designed as though the rotation were to be reversed, it actually hasn't been.

Yep! You are 100% correct, not sure what I was thinking! So, that theory can be laid to rest!

Well, I'm going to continue to follow this Thread, because as I stated, I have had interest in the Subarugears ....
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

Dave, I hope you are able to get that transmission looked at quickly and be back on the road soon.

D

Thanks Dave. You've been very supportive and always quick to reply with any concerns I had with your kit and related items. It was a straightforward kit to install and well engineered.

I don't want anyone to mistake the SubaruGears issue has anything to do with your 5 Speed Bus Kit. That is rock solid.
Dave
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

D

Thanks Dave. You've been very supportive and always quick to reply with any concerns I had with your kit and related items. It was a straightforward kit to install and well engineered.

I don't want anyone to mistake the SubaruGears issue has anything to do with your 5 Speed Bus Kit. That is rock solid.
Dave

Thanks! That's always great to hear. Very Happy

D
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
Too bad the SubaruGears transmission is coming out for diagnostics. I need to ship back to Subi-Works.

It has developed whining that initially started only when taking my foot of the accelerator. Now it whines all the time but is louder when taking my foot of the accelerator. Anyone else have this experience?

Good thing I bought the transmission built. Hope Subaru Gears and Subi Works stand behind their work and make things right.

xavior12 wrote:
Your install looks great and your documentation is great for others to reference.

Sorry to hear about your trans noises. I do have to say that I have the same trans setup as you and heard the same off noise in my trans right after I installed it also it was binding when shifting into third gear.
I ended up sending back the trans for warranty repair as advised by SubiWorks.
Apparently they said it was the Ring & Pinion gears and that they replaced them with the latest revised R&P set and fixed the third gear engagement,

Lol, and after re-installing the trans again but this time with a performance clutch disc and pressure plate because I felt the stock Subi clutch setup was too soft, the same noise is still there but now makes noise in neutral while rolling at most any speed it can be heard. My warranty has expired and I don't think I've even got 10K miles on it yet.

I do want to point out that in the videos on YT, on these trans being built/assembled, the builder never used a torque wrench to torque anything, just used rattle wrenches and his hands to feel the lash. Now with all the latest talk about proper trans building technique, I feel that my trans was built that way. Also I wanted to point out that the trans builder specializes in Rally Car Race transmissions.
Reason I say that is, you think you could hear any trans issues in a race car thats got no sound insulation as you smash through rocks and jumps? I had asked the builder if they run their transmissions on a load type of machine to check their work, they said yes but they can't load the trans on the stand. Maybe if they did they would have heard the issues?

So after all that, Ive checked the oil for contaminants, theres nothing and the noise hasn't gotten any worse.

I bought the "ready set go" trans thinking it would save me time with the conversion as they are professionals but after my experience I'd rather do the whole trans building/conversion myself.

Of course SubiWorks will stand behind their work, its under warranty?

This is disheartening for me to hear. The Subaru 5 speed transaxle is high on my wish list. I was planning to do the swap this summer.

I do hope to hear good news regarding the outcome of these trans problems, so please keep us informed.

Thanks!
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

So I drained the oil today prior to pulling the transmission so I can ship it out this coming week. I'll post pictures when I can. There were sizable flacks flakes (edit) on the plug magnet and a glittery shine throughout the drained oil. Not a good sign.

Last edited by dlb154 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Is Subaru Gears website down? Not getting a hit on it when clicking on the link on page 1 or from a Google search.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I'd like so see those oil pictures and flakes! Following this.
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Our website happens to be down for maintenance for a couple of days. Rest be assured we stand behind our product and we are well and truly in business - going on 8 years now and a couple of thousand of these gearsets out in the market.

As pointed out, everything still rotates in the stock direction, except the differential which is now flipped within the case. It means what is normally the 'coast side' is now the 'drive side' of the ring and pinion. With the large pinion bearing so close to the pinion gear, this is not an issue.

I'm sure whatever issue turns out to be the case with your trans will be resolved and supported. All businesses have products that have issues from time to time, nobody has 100% success rate. You only know once you open it up.

We can only make them as strong as possible. We have our own forgings of 8620 instead of using bar stock, they are fully cnc manufactured using Gleason machines and they are hardened and shotpeened at the end of the manufacture process as well as being CNC lapped to provide the quietest running possible. We've done everything we can to make it a great product. We have continually refined and improved the product from it's inception and in fact are manufacturing version 8 right now.

If we had a thread for every VW trans that makes a noise The Samba would be full, yet it is accepted that they need to be rebuilt and torn down for maintenance etc. Yet we are onto a 2 page thread because two Subarugears transmissions are making a bit of noise? Let's keep it in perspective.

Look forward to seeing your ride back on the road again soon Smile
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Todd. It ships out tomorrow back to Subiworks.

Actually this thread was not started to report about the SubaruGears transmission noise that developed. 99% of page one was about the install of the 5 Speed Bus kit that compliments your transmission genius...

That's the real perspective. The fact that many people see a viable option over a stock VW transaxle rebuild is reflected in the concerns and feedback brought about here in page 2. We are all encouraged with innovations, like yours, that brings longevity to our vehicles.

If no one cared... there wouldn't be any interest in these Samba threads.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
I used a 1980 Air-cool tranny with my TDI. I installed $1,000+ in Weddle replacement parts and upgrades. I replaced all the bearings except the pinion bearing, new syncro rings, new reverse, new upgraded 3/4 hub, new 3/4 shift fork, taller 3rd & 4th, etc.

From day one, 3rd gear "roars" when I let up on the accelerator. There's a very slight roar in 4th

Anyway, to date, it has over 80k miles being pushed by the TDI engine. So, I suppose those big-cut after-market gears are responsible for the roar/whine.

One of the last things on my list for my Subaru 2.2 powered Multivan is to get the gearing better.

Like other things, I will not replace until it is time to repair that aspect of the van.

I too have a stock 4 speed with a bunch of Weddle parts in it as it had a bad 3./4 slider when I bought it. I only changed 4th gear. I had Rancho Transaxle build it. I use what ever gear lube it was they told me to. It is dead quiet. Been like that for years now.

High on my list is the Subaru transaxle, actually the 6 speed.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but can only wonder when pushing around a much heavier vehicle that extra load is passed on or through every thing. We well know the Weddle parts can fail in some cases of much higher power / torque going through them.

Point is we are yet again beta testers and the results are not in yet in for our application.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: