Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

SubiWorks shipped the transmission back to me and I was able to get it installed yesterday... They, along with SubaruGears, took care of everything. Haven't driven more than a few miles yet but everything appears to be good now.
Thank you Julio at SubiWorks and thank you Todd from SubaruGears for your cooperation getting my transmission issues corrected.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

What was the issue?
Also, what final drive ratio are you using?
I'm debating with using a 3.90 on my upcoming turbo ej205 swap.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I’m glad to hear it. Let’s go for a drive!
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
What was the issue?
Also, what final drive ratio are you using?
I'm debating with using a 3.90 on my upcoming turbo ej205 swap.

The R&P had pitting... Unclear as to why but the noise I heard was the result of the pitting.

I went with the 4:44 R&P per others' recommendations. Mine is a full camper Westy; 1989. I also opted for the newer TY758 transmission. Was told it's more robust than the TY754. Other reason for the 758 was in hopes of getting a lower mileage transmission to start with.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Off topic to be sure, but I couldn't find any info anywhere else.

Is there a reason nobody puts a Subaru AUTOMATIC transmission in as part of a Subaru engine conversion?

Thanks, Leo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Very much looking into getting this done to my '85 full camper with an EJ25 as my original transmission is pretty much toast after a 4,000 mile road trip this summer. I've been emailing with Dave and Julio and this seems like the way to go.

dlb154 thanks a bunch for all of the detail you put into this post. Any updates on the new new Subiworks transmission or any other parts after using this summer? Anything unusual (beyond what you've already outlined) to lookout for on the install?

Also, you mentioned the gear ratio 4.44:1 came from recommendations. You still happy with this decision?

Thanks in advance
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Off topic to be sure, but I couldn't find any info anywhere else.

Is there a reason nobody puts a Subaru AUTOMATIC transmission in as part of a Subaru engine conversion?

Thanks, Leo

the 4EAT can't be reversed with a ring and pinion. check the Subarugears.com website for a list of compatible gearboxes
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Very much looking into getting this done to my '85 full camper with an EJ25 as my original transmission is pretty much toast after a 4,000 mile road trip this summer. I've been emailing with Dave and Julio and this seems like the way to go.

dlb154 thanks a bunch for all of the detail you put into this post. Any updates on the new new Subiworks transmission or any other parts after using this summer? Anything unusual (beyond what you've already outlined) to lookout for on the install?

Also, you mentioned the gear ratio 4.44:1 came from recommendations. You still happy with this decision?

Thanks in advance

You're in good hands with both Julio at Subiworks and Dave of 5 Speed Bus.
- No further issues to report. Everything is working properly.
- Still happy with the ratio. What I've learned is 4th gear in this setup is very similar to stock 4th and I do find climbing in 5th at this elevation (4500' Reno base) is not an option on long climbs or when I'm loaded up with the family and gear. The developed horse power is in the higher rpm range and why down shifting (4th and 3rd) is essential on climbs...
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:

You're in good hands with both Julio at Subiworks and Dave of 5 Speed Bus.
- No further issues to report. Everything is working properly.
- Still happy with the ratio. What I've learned is 4th gear in this setup is very similar to stock 4th and I do find climbing in 5th at this elevation (4500' Reno base) is not an option on long climbs or when I'm loaded up with the family and gear. The developed horse power is in the higher rpm range and why down shifting (4th and 3rd) is essential on climbs...

Thanks! Very glad to hear no further issues. I always assumed 5th to be more of an overdrive gear in this setup (especially with the weight of a fully loaded full camper) I'll be back to this thread if I decide to pull the trigger to post about the install for another data point for anyone looking to do the same.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Looking into which conversion kit PO used for the original swap, but has anyone doing an install of a SubiWorks transmission encountered this problem? (also replacing the bushing with powerflex, but waiting on the part)

Mount is from Dave Clymer's 5 speed bus kit. Van is '85 westy, full camper. Engine is EJ25.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

If your Subaru was previously installed and used an adapter plate, once the Subaru Gears transmission is installed (and adapter plate removed), you'll find the engine needs to move toward the transmission the thickness of the adapter plate...
I pulled my already installed Subaru engine from the Vanagon, mated it to the transmission (transmission mount and bushing already installed on the transmission), and then raised into place. I bolted the transmission mount to the frame and then drilled new mounting holes to the frame at the mustache bar (Vanaru kit is very similar to the Small Car kit).
If I recall correctly, measuring from Dave Clymer's mount (bolt through power flex bushing) to the face of the Subaru Gears transmission (where it mates to the engine) was identical to the stock transmission setup.
Hope that makes sense...
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for explaining. Will probably need to wait for the bushing to arrive. Thanks for your continued help on this. Hopefully we get it all sorted out this week.

*edit. also sorting out moving, or most likely putting a 90 degree fitting in the existing propex heater exhaust line which is inconveniently right in the path of the shift linkage rod.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

If your van has a Smallcar engine mount, the mustache bar needs to be unbolted and the engine moved forward slightly. The transmission mount dictates where the engine is positioned, and I chose this positioning so that there was sufficient space for the intake pipe at the throttle body, service room for the rear shift linkage rod to be connected to the transmission, and so that the drive axles had a minimum of rearward angle.

Let me know if it's not a Smallcar mount, and I can give some more advice if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I have a call into the shop that did the install for the PO to find out what type of mount was used in the conversion. Will definitely follow up if not small car.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Thanks Dave! I have a call into the shop that did the install for the PO to find out what type of mount was used in the conversion. Will definitely follow up if not small car.

If you have pics of the engine mount we can help you identify it. Typically if it mounts to the back of the engine it is a smallcar mount. If it mounts near the front of the engine (near the transmission) then it is a rocky mountain westy mount or a kennedy mount.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Apparently the shop figured it out..

I though they were done for the night when I started posting last night, but they were still working on it. I appreciate the help and will definitely get the scoop on how they solved it and post here. I'll also be posting what the final build looks like. Probably a good time to ID the mount for those doing this in the future.

Thanks again!
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Apparently the shop figured it out..

I though they were done for the night when I started posting last night, but they were still working on it. I appreciate the help and will definitely get the scoop on how they solved it and post here. I'll also be posting what the final build looks like. Probably a good time to ID the mount for those doing this in the future.

Thanks again!

Sounds good, Dan. Let me know if any other questions come up. Smile
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

DLB154,
My Subimount doesn't sit flush with the tabs on the mount to the Subaru gears nose cone. Did you notice this also on your build?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Paul
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

There was a little bit of play getting the mount installed. I didn't tighten everything up until I had all bolts started. Your mount looks to have come from SubaruGears, not 5 Speed Bus.
I assume they are a very similar design. Are you going to fabricate your own linkage or use Clymer's kit? Dave's kit includes his mount.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
There was a little bit of play getting the mount installed. I didn't tighten everything up until I had all bolts started. Your mount looks to have come from SubaruGears, not 5 Speed Bus.
I assume they are a very similar design. Are you going to fabricate your own linkage or use Clymer's kit? Dave's kit includes his mount.

I bought the Black Friday kit from SuburuGears, it came with the RSFab linkage kit. Which is a much more do it yourself kit....So instead of a complete plug and play kit like Daves, I have a lot more figuring out as I go.

For instance, the mount from Subarugears I thought would allow for a stock vanagon mount to simple bolt up to the Subamount....Not so, it looks like I will still have to fabricate my own mount.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: