Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Any updates on making your mount work?
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Has anyone had issues with sometimes not being able to shift into 1st or 2nd? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. Wondering if anyone else with 5speedbus shifter and subigears has experienced anything like this.

Everything is still where it was when originally set up. Shifting to 1st has always been tough, but chalked it up to breaking in new set up. Sometimes it feels like shifting to 1st but I’m in 3rd. Any ideas?
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I recall dialing in the linkage as being critical to shifting in/out of all gears smoothly. My wife was in the driver's seat while I was under the Vanagon making minute adjustments. After a small adjustment and tightening down at the junction and she would run through the gears. It took us about 35 minutes to adjust to the right spot.

I've had no problems with the linkage, finding gears, or difficulty moving in and out of any gear. Could it be you need a slight adjustment?

It's definitely a two person job with very small adjustments to the length and/or the angle of the connection between front and rear portions of the shift rods. Don't try both adjustments at the same time.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I recall dialing in the linkage as being critical to shifting in/out of all gears smoothly. My wife was in the driver's seat while I was under the Vanagon making minute adjustments. After a small adjustment and tightening down at the junction and she would run through the gears. It took us about 35 minutes to adjust to the right spot.

I've had no problems with the linkage, finding gears, or difficulty moving in and out of any gear. Could it be you need a slight adjustment?

It's definitely a two person job with very small adjustments to the length and/or the angle of the connection between front and rear portions of the shift rods. Don't try both adjustments at the same time.

Good advice. I'm having my shop do the work, so I'm hoping they're going about it as you just suggested. Have you ever had it go from being perfectly dialed in, to not shifting smoothly? I'm curious what could change (knowing everything is tightened down in the linkage) and why that might be temporary? Doesn't seem like the linkage is a delicate enough system to be heat sensitive.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

To crooked designer, I've had two times on 5spd Subaru conversions as you describe. In the first case where the new 5spd shifter has a "ball and socket" under the floor in the box above the spare tire. The socket part was an early design one and made out of aluminum, and had worn where the roll pin that is installed through the ball seats into the socket. David Clymer looked after my customer and sent him a replacement upgraded steel socket, and new ball. The new parts took care of the play, after adjusting the shifter all worked perfectly.
The second case of poor shifting was the result of wear in the female half of the shifter rod where it attaches to the transaxle. There is a drilled hole with a roll pin holding the two sections together. The drilled hole had worn and wallowed out enough to allow a few degrees of play. The shifter moves very little radially when shifting, so any play will cause issues. To repair that one I drilled out the hole to fit the next larger size roll pin.
Again this was on Davids first shifter kit design, and yours may be the later design.
This kit also came with a plastic "setting" block to set the shifter in the correct position when setting the joint between the front and rear shaft. the setting is critical and fiddly to get just right.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
dlb154 wrote:

Good advice. I'm having my shop do the work, so I'm hoping they're going about it as you just suggested. Have you ever had it go from being perfectly dialed in, to not shifting smoothly? I'm curious what could change (knowing everything is tightened down in the linkage) and why that might be temporary? Doesn't seem like the linkage is a delicate enough system to be heat sensitive.

Hi Dan,

The linkage system is definitely not being affected by heat. The adjustment principle is pretty straightforward - you're trying to achieve a specific gap between the shifter relay cup when the shifter (and trans) is in neutral. This then allows the shifter to move the cup just enough before it hits the guide rail to allow the shift selector lever in the transmission to align with the 1st gear shift actuation rod. The only critical dimension is that gap, and since it is up in the shifter box away from any real heat, there wouldn't be any heat expansion causing the problem. At the transmission end, there aren't any alignment related aspects to the shifter system. If it's not wanting to go into 1st gear, it has to be the adjustment.

The only other variable I can think of, is that it could be a badly worn center coupler. This would allow the front linkage section to rotate the correct amount, but some of that rotation would get lost in the worn coupler, and that would reduce the rotation of the rear rod - possibly enough to not allow the shift selector lever in the transmission to engage. But like I told you, I've assembled and dis-assembled many of these center couplers over the years, and they are almost always tight and precise. It would be a long-shot, but it would be worth looking into.

I think the most likely thing, though, is that the adjustment isn't right. I talked to your shop again today, and it sounded like they were going to give the adjustment another attempt tomorrow. I'll check in with them tomorrow to see how things are going.

Last edited by D Clymer on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
To crooked designer, I've had two times on 5spd Subaru conversions as you describe. In the first case where the new 5spd shifter has a "ball and socket" under the floor in the box above the spare tire. The socket part was an early design one and made out of aluminum, and had worn where the roll pin that is installed through the ball seats into the socket. David Clymer looked after my customer and sent him a replacement upgraded steel socket, and new ball. The new parts took care of the play, after adjusting the shifter all worked perfectly.
The second case of poor shifting was the result of wear in the female half of the shifter rod where it attaches to the transaxle. There is a drilled hole with a roll pin holding the two sections together. The drilled hole had worn and wallowed out enough to allow a few degrees of play. The shifter moves very little radially when shifting, so any play will cause issues. To repair that one I drilled out the hole to fit the next larger size roll pin.
Again this was on Davids first shifter kit design, and yours may be the later design.
This kit also came with a plastic "setting" block to set the shifter in the correct position when setting the joint between the front and rear shaft. the setting is critical and fiddly to get just right.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, we switched from an aluminum relay cup to a steel one fairly early on after I started learning of rapid wear in the slot area of the cup. I'm glad to hear the steel part is functioning well in Kells' van. The durability of the steel cup is much better and we are lucky to have found a machine shop that is willing to produce those.

The wear at the rear universal joint is not something I had heard of, so thank you for the heads-up on that. And thanks for coming up with a remedy for your customer to eliminate the play. We did switch to a thicker universal joint so that we didn't have to machine the end of the transmission selector lever. But I think the thicker wall has also boosted the durability of that part in service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Hello David,
Always good to hear from you.Kells is very happy with his 5spd Westy. I think he got one of the first few kits, so a bug or two is to be expected. Both were minor and easily remedied.
There is one more bug I'd like to care of for him next time he's here for service. This is probably a better question for Subarugears as they built the trans, but maybe you have run into this one. Again is a very early kit, Subarugears built the trans and shipped it from Australia. The vent is located on the RH side of the trans case. It was just a fitting with a screen screwed into the housing. It has always "pumped" gear oil out of the fitting. My first attempt at a repair was to find a banjo fitting and install in its place, then a section of hose running uphill to the RF area of the engine bay with the screen fitting installed at the end. It still pushes gear oil up and out of the tube and makes a mess. I see the newer versions have the vent located on the LH side, which maybe confirms my thought that spinning parts are flinging the oil at the breather and then expansion of the oil and air inside push the oil out.
So, can I just drilled and tap the housing on the LH side and plug the original vent hole? If so is there a dimension for the location? And can I drill it in place or is there too much risk of damage to internals?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this issue and if they switched the breather location.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
Hello David,
Always good to hear from you.Kells is very happy with his 5spd Westy. I think he got one of the first few kits, so a bug or two is to be expected. Both were minor and easily remedied.
There is one more bug I'd like to care of for him next time he's here for service. This is probably a better question for Subarugears as they built the trans, but maybe you have run into this one. Again is a very early kit, Subarugears built the trans and shipped it from Australia. The vent is located on the RH side of the trans case. It was just a fitting with a screen screwed into the housing. It has always "pumped" gear oil out of the fitting. My first attempt at a repair was to find a banjo fitting and install in its place, then a section of hose running uphill to the RF area of the engine bay with the screen fitting installed at the end. It still pushes gear oil up and out of the tube and makes a mess. I see the newer versions have the vent located on the LH side, which maybe confirms my thought that spinning parts are flinging the oil at the breather and then expansion of the oil and air inside push the oil out.
So, can I just drilled and tap the housing on the LH side and plug the original vent hole? If so is there a dimension for the location? And can I drill it in place or is there too much risk of damage to internals?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this issue and if they switched the breather location.

do you have a picture of your vent location?

I put mine here per instructions from Todd at Subarugears:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't have my trans in it, so I don't know if this location is preferred or not.
paul
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

This is the location of the vent as supplied by Subarugears. As I said in the earlier post, this was one of the first few that we’re completed so the location has been improved.
I like the location of yours, the top of the housing seems a logical placement.
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Guess I must be lucky but my 1982 single cab (SVX engine and 2007 Impreza trans) has both these problems of no first or second gears and oil coming out of the breather.
It's been a multi-year project and I've driven it five miles. The breather placement is on the side of the transmission case and it really leaks. The breather was placed on the side per Todd's recommendation (I built the transmission over five years ago) and is not on the top like in the previous post.
The gear change linkage and machined rear casting was kit number six from David Clymer. Tomorrow I will try to get my wife help with re-adjustment of the linkage. I have a feeling the problem is the adjustment or indexing between the front and back linkages.
Is that the best place to start?
Thanks for all replies, Ken Collen
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the transmission vent placement has been an evolutionary process with many locations tried, and most of them eventually dispensing oil. The location that Paul (Franklinstower) shows in his post is, I believe the one that Subarugears is recommending. It is possible to drill the hole without dismantling the transmission due to its closeness to the end of the transmission. It is effectively shielded by that horse shoe shaped filler blank that is positioned there. I have not heard of any problems with this placement.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

kco2949785 wrote:

The gear change linkage and machined rear casting was kit number six from David Clymer. Tomorrow I will try to get my wife help with re-adjustment of the linkage. I have a feeling the problem is the adjustment or indexing between the front and back linkages.
Is that the best place to start?
Thanks for all replies, Ken Collen

Hi Ken,

It sounds like the adjustment is off. I think you have the set-up shim for dialing in the correct gap between the relay cup and the passenger side guide rail inside the shifter box. Here are a few important areas to pay attention to:

1. Make sure the center-coupler clamp is loose and you can move the shift lever from left to right rotating the front linkage rod back forth while the rear rod does not move (The transmission should be in neutral.) I usually spray some WD40 in the center coupler joint and then move the shift lever back and forth a few times to make sure it is moving smoothly and freely with no hang-ups that make it want to "snatch" the rear rod and rotate it to any degree.

2. Once you are sure the coupler rotation is fine and has no hang-ups, place the set-up shim against the flat vertical surface of the passenger side guide rail. Use a piece of blue painters tape to secure the shim to the guide rail. Have a helper sit in the driver's seat and pull the shift lever towards the driver's side until it moves the relay cup to the right and pinches the set-up shim in place.

3. Tighten the clamp on the center coupler. It should be tight, but not so tight that it collapses the tube portion of the coupler and the end of the linkage rod. Remove the set up block and try engaging first gear.

This process should work perfectly to get the proper spacing so that the linkage rotates just enough before the relay cup hits the guide rail, for the transmission selector arm to engage the 1st gear fork inside the transmission.

If there were to ever be any dimensional "oddities/irregularities" with the shifter guide rails, or the width of the shift box, thickness of the relay cup, a problem would manifest itself in the form of not being able to engage 5th/reverse. Getting 1st/2nd shift should never be a problem if the correct spacing between the relay cup and the passenger side guide rail is achieved.

The only detail I can think of that might cause a problem with 1st/2nd engagement, with a seemingly proper adjustment, is a sloppy/worn center coupler. I have always found these to be very durable, and have recommended to customers that they simply lube theirs and re-use it. But I can see conceptually how a worn center coupler could allow the rear rod to not move the full amount of rotation of the front rod due to losing a fraction of a degree in the coupler. I just dismantled, cleaned, lubed, and sent out two used couplers last week to customers converting automatic vans, so they were in need of one to complete their installations, and both couplers were impressively tight and wear free. So I don't necessarily think this is it, but it would be worth taking a close look at yours to see if it's serviceable.

Let me know how things turn out as you go through the adjustment process again. I'm here to help whenever needed.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I may have posted this earlier in this thread. My breather is located on the drive's side front. There has been a fine spray of oil building up around this area.

Any reason why I couldn't put a PVC tube over this breather and route with zip ties away from the transmission to let any oil emissions drip away from the transmission?

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I may have posted this earlier in this thread. My breather is located on the drive's side front. There has been a fine spray of oil building up around this area.

Any reason why I couldn't put a PVC tube over this breather and route with zip ties away from the transmission to let any oil emissions drip away from the transmission?

Hi Dave,

Hmm, I've never seen that location before. It sounds like the oil emission is minimal, so that would probably work fine. But I think I'd be tempted to plug that hole and relocate it to the top-side location mentioned above. Here's Todd's information about it on his website. http://subarugears.com/Casing/Casing.html

From what I've heard from recent customers, it works perfectly with no measurable oil emission.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Dave.

I don't see an easy way to drill into the case while the transmission is installed. I wonder if this breather location was a SubiWorks decision. I purchased a built unit direct from them. Would have been great if the breather was a 90 degree barbed fitting to accommodate a drain hose.

Unless someone provides a valid objection, I may try the hose from current breather with a continuous downward path to daylight. Yes the emission is minimal but looking at an otherwise clean transmission is a bit bothersome... however purely cosmetic.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
Thanks for the link Dave.

I don't see an easy way to drill into the case while the transmission is installed. I wonder if this breather location was a SubiWorks decision. I purchased a built unit direct from them. Would have been great if the breather was a 90 degree barbed fitting to accommodate a drain hose.

Unless someone provides a valid objection, I may try the hose from current breather with a continuous downward path to daylight. Yes the emission is minimal but looking at an otherwise clean transmission is a bit bothersome... however purely cosmetic.

I don't see a problem with that. The vent valves I've worked with are usually an NPT pipe thread. If that's what yours is, I think Napa would have a nice brass 90 degree fitting you could put in place of the valve.

Impressed that your transmission is so clean, that the small amount of oil stands out. Smile
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

I thought I had update my entry on this thread.

The shifter has been adjusted per David's recommendations and it is great. Spraying WD-40 on the splines helped a lot with the adjustment.

Still having a problem with the transmission pumping oil out of the original recommended breather position. I replaced the breather that came with the SubaruGears kit with a brass barb (it's a 1/8" NPT) for 1/4" hose. The hose is close to three feet long that ends in the left rear corner. The rise on the hose from the transmission to the end of the hose is about a foot. That's as high as it can go under the bed. Unfortunately my single cab does not have a tall D pillar.

Has anyone made the originally recommended breather position work without leaking oil?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

i have a client fighting the same issue. may want to ask whats his face...supposedly they redesigned something and have a new nose cone.

his usual response is "let me know what you did to fix it" and I have been unimpressed by the conversions lack of R+D....which seems to be up to the end user to deal with

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speed Bus Kit Install - SubaruGears transmission Reply with quote

kco2949785 wrote:
I thought I had update my entry on this thread.

The shifter has been adjusted per David's recommendations and it is great. Spraying WD-40 on the splines helped a lot with the adjustment.

Still having a problem with the transmission pumping oil out of the original recommended breather position. I replaced the breather that came with the SubaruGears kit with a brass barb (it's a 1/8" NPT) for 1/4" hose. The hose is close to three feet long that ends in the left rear corner. The rise on the hose from the transmission to the end of the hose is about a foot. That's as high as it can go under the bed. Unfortunately my single cab does not have a tall D pillar.

Has anyone made the originally recommended breather position work without leaking oil?

Hi Ken,

I'm glad to hear you were successful in getting your shifter adjusted properly, and that it functions well now.

Where is your breather located? If it's around the differential area or on top of the transmission at mid-case, you should probably move it to the area just behind the nose cone as shown in Franklinstower's post. The earlier recommended locations were hit and miss. Some seemed to work perfectly, but then after more time on the road, they ended up expelling some oil. I experimented with a few locations, myself, that seemed conceptually perfect, but then ended up not being 100% after more miles on the road. From what I've heard, this latest recommended location works very well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: