Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on Changing Tire Size
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

I have 185 65r15s on my car now with Empi Polished Chrome rims 15 x 5.5.

I put a 2.5 inch drop spindles on my car. Tires rub so from what I read I decided to order 145 65r15s. They are due in tomorrow.

Today I wondered if they will fit on my Empis I did a quick search and it looks like I need 4.5 for the 145 65r15s.

Can I put the new tires on my existing rims?

Thank
1966 Beetle
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

You could try running them, but you're right, a 4.5" wide wheel is the preferred width for a 145 mm tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

Yes they will fit okay, but you could run inner tubes in them if it made you feel better?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have read elsewhere 5.5" will be okay, but of course the wheel will stick out from the tire. I looked for the Empi wheels I have and it looks like 5.5" is the only size they have. So kinda screwed there.

911pickup wrote:
You could try running them, but you're right, a 4.5" wide wheel is the preferred width for a 145 mm tire.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

I am going to try installing one of them tonight and see how it looks. I don't really think I have a choice on the rim size without replacing all of them. I don't want to do that.

Mike Fisher wrote:
Yes they will fit okay, but you could run inner tubes in them if it made you feel better?
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Changing Tire Size Reply with quote

185 65/15 Tires Rub... is it because of Height or Width ?
175/60/15 is the same overall diameter as 145/65/15 but has a wider section width.
Other tire size is 155/60/15
Tirerack.com spec's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: