Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel injector cleaning
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

just a fun picture of my injector cleaning setup....

Pine Sol in a heated ultrasonic cleaner
vacuum applied to fuel inlet of injector
fuel injector buzz box to activate injector

after a full immersion ultrasonic cleaning, i'm finish up with a backflush of ultrasonic heated Pine Sol. vacuum pulls the Pine Sol thru the injector with a steady drip. i'll let it run an hour or so. can't really see the injector in the picture but it is suspended with the body in the Pine Sol but the electrical connection above the fluid line.

hot Pine Sol does a nice job cleaning up the exterior and really brightens the metal. i'll paint the bodies when they're done. new injector filters, pintle guards, seals, and retaining o-ring. parts are inexpensive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

couple more photos

the injector bodies were wire-wheeled and given the full immersion ultrasonic cleaning in Pine Sol.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

Nice. Keeping track which cylinder? I have mine aways done by Mr Injector here in town. Full treatment like you are doing for $15 ea or so. I toss the before and after flow graphs in my logs. Thats good work and worth the time. Mine start instantly n idle well.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

$15 is a great bargain for the cleaning. do he also repaint at that price? either way, a great service to have in town.

this is a donor engine rebuild so no track record but to be honest, i probably won't keep records on the cylinders. i've had pretty good luck with the 3M pressurized fuel injector cleaner on my other vans but this is a total injection system refurb with repainted intakes, new fuel lines, cleaned injectors, new intake seals, clean the AFM track, new O2 sensor, etc.

my one splurge in this project is i bought the GoWesty (purchased thru Van-Cafe) stainless exhaust system. a $750 indulgence but it has a lifetime warranty. i was dreading cobbling up the old system and just bit the bullet for a new one.

-dan
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

I know - great deal and great work. Yes he paints them. So dare I ask what color you are painting the intakes? Ive done 3 WBX and this last intakes are red. Feels much faster as a result! Who knew that the greater molecular lineup caused by the long frequncy end of the spectrum would feel so dramatic?😂
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

well, the intakes are black. boring black. i'd bought a can of Rustoleum black satin for the tranny bits and have just continued to use that for the engine parts.

finished the intake system rebuild today, disassembled the throttle body, threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner, put new shaft seals in and lubed the shaft. cleaned up the switch, lubed the sliding bits. shaft and bushing wear had a *little* slop but not bad. more wear in the throttle body throat from the plate but it still seats well.

also put in the CB oil pump. re-used the steel VW cover after dressing it a touch. the CB comes with a very thick cast aluminum cover but there's some Samba chatter that the steel VW cover is less resistant to warping due to the thickness and upturned flange. made sense to me. the CB pump was pretty tight in the bore so i froze it with freon first and it went in nicely. there was .0005 clearance to the cover without the gasket so i used the CB gasket which was .0035 adding up to .004 which is a tad loose (.003 goal) but it'll work.

ordered a Speedi Sleeve for the crankshaft pulley... it has a slight seal groove and oil leaks on a new engine bother me so for $30 i'll put the sleeve in. also JB Welded the galley plugs. my goal is a dry engine but we'll see. the one thing German engineering has taught me is how smart the Japanese are.

btw, the black Sabo front crank seals from GoWesty and Van-Cafe are identical. same price too. i ordered one from each for $6.50. they weigh 20 grams more than the brown Victor seal that comes in the Victor gasket set!

-dan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injector cleaning Reply with quote

putting a picture up for a friend of the pressure rig for cleaning i rigged up. tank>pump>filter>regulator. works well and naptha is a great cleaner in addition to the ultrasonic treatment. cheapest source of naptha? Coleman camp fuel. i spray them into a large clear cylinder for patterning.

the gauges (a carb balancer and AC gauges) next to the pressure rig are not part of the setup.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: