Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Went To a Welding Class Yesterday
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
How about if the old school welders here post a pic or 2 of good welds w/ info on WHY they are good welds ??

That'd be nice. The only welds I've seen by someone that knows how to weld was on 1/8-1/4 inch steel. Never on VW thickness metal.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
crukab wrote:
How about if the old school welders here post a pic or 2 of good welds w/ info on WHY they are good welds ??

That'd be nice. The only welds I've seen by someone that knows how to weld was on 1/8-1/4 inch steel. Never on VW thickness metal.

When you say "VW thickness metal," I guess you are referring to body sheet metal. Many people "stitch" sheet metal together with a zillion spots, to avoid heat buildup. If you can TIG well (well, as in good), you can butt-weld body sheet with the right prep (fitment). Do a search for guys that can TIG soda cans together, pretty good control.

Here's some welds from an engine stand I've been building. This one's a stringer across the post base, which I subsequently ground flat (it's a butt weld with beads on both sides, then ground flush).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are from the base frame...not the prettiest (I couldn't see for shit in that tight pocket), but plenty strong for this engine stand. It's pretty hard to overheat massive I-beam, but it's got good penetration, no porosity, no oxidation, clean prep and tight fit. You can find all kinds of criteria for "good" welds online.

Once complete, sandblasted and painted, I'll do a full reveal of this engine stand in the "Engine Stand" thread.
I've never had professional training, just in high school metal shop in 1981. I have a TIG machine too, self-taught for the most part.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Yes I'm meaning Vw thickness metal like 18-22 gauge.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

That's a good point. As I recall you can actually run a nice bead but not penetrate far enough into the metal. Is there a name for this?

"cold lap"?

Look at the edges of the weld where it meets the parent metal. usually you want it to be "even", such that you can hardly tell where one ends and the other begins.
If edge is built up higher with filler metal then too much metal added, and edges may just be sitting on top. If there is a drop where parent metal was melted away but not filled all the way back up, then not enough new material added. Talking .080"+ thickness

on metal less than .060" thick, or REALLLY thin stuff, more of a struggle to get a even bead, fine line between making a hole and cold lap Shocked , so there will be some cold lap in spots, but you can grind that off later if need be, rather just look at the back side and see that the weld is coming through, and if it is then your doing well.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I went to a welding class yesterday at a really cool place called Stoneybrook Fine Arts. 4 hours of learning and welding. At the end they let us make some stuff from scrap. I really suggest this place if your around Boston and want to learn welding. They do other stuff too if you want to learn other things. Here's what I made...

I welded my test strips into a cube, and a winged triangle. Very Happy
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

For really thick steels if the welder has limited heat range, then it is necessary to have a gap or kerf for the root pass. Or you can bevel both workpieces for the root pass.

If you butt them together too close and not enough heat/current, it will cold-weld like that above. The root pass is very important as it dictates the integrity of the joint. And it does not have to be pretty as it will get covered up if you decide to do 2nd pass/ filler pass.

I like a 220 Volt unit just because it has more capacity. The 110volt MIgs are fine for sheetmetals but for large I-beams or angle irons, the 220volt machine really shines.

For really thick stuff, I have 250 amp MIGs -commercial kind, and 250Amp TIG for aluminum work -water cooled is the only way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

The Body/Paint forum has lots of thread about welding including a stickie.
Bad Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

When the bead you are running doesn't stick to the base metal, that's called lack of fusion. The Welding Tips & Tricks channel on You Tube has good videos of this.
Although the MIG process can be used to weld thin sheet, it's not ideal. It puts a lot of heat in your panel and even more heat when you grind off the excess bead Shocked . TIG works better (more control and less excess filler- or no filler if you have good fitup) but a nice setup is pricey.

That brings us to the old oxy/fuel rig. Many guys that work on the high end cars use this process. It has many advantages and is inexpensive. Check out Kent White on You Tube for more. Its also a good way to learn the basics!

If you want to learn about metal shaping, Allmetalshaping and Metalshapers are good websites.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Hey guys! So I haven't gone to another class... I didn't have the time to go to Boston again, but I have been practicing... here's my latest progress.

Thoughts, comments, critiques?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

That is a weak weld. What you can do if you are not used to thin metal welding is to use a backing plate. WEld that in place under the other piece so you have something to 'hold' the weld puddle and prevent burn-thru.

It seems you are shy about walking a small puddle. When you start the arc, a bead will form. And the very first bead will be somewhat cold so it will stick up. But as you develop the weld puddle, it will be a more thorough penetration. Meaning it will be way stronger as a competent welding job should be.

If you are doing stitch, then lay the arc a second longer to make the puddle flatten. Otherwise, you see all those 'popcorns' - Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Only shy about making a puddle because the welder is temperamental Laughing One time it will be perfect, the next, wire doesn't come out of the gun and it just makes a hole. I'll start holding the trigger a bit longer and see what happens.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

use your other hand as anchor point or guide for the gun/nozzle to rest. You will have much better control of the stickout distance. Good MIG depends on maintaining the stickout distance.

Do you know why we have to maintain the stickout distance of the wire?
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Back in the 90's, I spent 5 years mig welding .025 and .035 stainless material for commercial flue pipes, never anything thicker. I wasn't a "welder", per se, just a guy who could do the job. When I started working on my buggy, I learned rather quick that thicker material is a whole 'nother animal. Finally settled on a Lincoln 180 Mig for all of my work. With lots of assistance from others I am now comfortable with my skills but it took lots of practice welding scrap metal together. Living on a farm we have lots of scrap iron. Every welding machine is different so get one that fits your needs, and practice. Welding is a very handy skill to have.
Just my two cents.
William
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

WElding thin materials is most challenging. Thick ones you just do your root pass and add the subsequent passes on there. Very Happy

Joining thick and thin materials are fun.

here is a project ...weld a blade to an anchor or anvil.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

If you are doing stitch, then lay the arc a second longer to make the puddle flatten. Otherwise, you see all those 'popcorns' - Laughing

On one of my projects, years ago when I was learning to weld, someone said my welds looked like "chicken shit."

I like "popcorns" better. Very Happy
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Stick out is to make sure gas gets to the weld right? bigdog1962... that's also what I was told Laughing I'm currently being taught from a nice guy on a welding forum. We're troubleshooting my welder right now.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Stick-out... besides the gas envelope, it also dictates how much current is required to melt or transfer the globules. When the stickout gets too long requires more amperage, you can tell how the sound changes and the weld puddle becomes poor.

When the stickout is just right, there is a particular sound it makes w/ MIG.

Follow the textbook procedures and you will be fine. Also, you need to learn forehand and backhand welding techniques and which one to use depends on the thickness of metal and type of prep work...so on.

You just have to know the theory behind the welding process. PERIOD.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't know that. I am being instructed on my welding by a guy who has been welding for a long time.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

my welding skills have gone to shit. eys not seeing worth a shit , arm not functioning like it should when it should ( major nerve damage from a moron DR.) along with my mig having almost a zillion and a half miles of wire run throught and oh soamny liners&tips....I bought it new back in 82...I think it was 82...it was long ago and oh somany racecars built with it and some street cars too. I like using stainless wire in it.although I dont know how well paint will hold on to stainless wire....I did make a tubular 18" set back outboard motor bracket for my speed boat out of stainless, miged it all up with stainless wire and painted it with imron and it never flaked or pealed in over 20 years...so it might work for tin work too..it's so sweet to weld in a mig gun.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Went To a Welding Class Yesterday Reply with quote

In MIG, forehand or backhand welding is usually a matter of preference and what best suits the task at hand. It doesn't affect the structural quality of the weld joint.

I know this is widely debated and involves discussion around joint prep and so on, but many good welders have done tons of testing to find that there's virtually no difference in the final result.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: