Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fram Tractor Vintage Filter
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Good day, I got this Fram Tractor Vintage Filter that I intend to install on my Karmann Ghia. Is it okay to install it or it i too big for its application. It is only the volume of oil that it can hold that is different; however, everything is just the same. It can even be used as an additional oil capacity for the engine. Something like a dry sump type used by Porsche.

This is the picture

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/oxnn4zesm5n8qx.jpg

Thanks in advance,

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

The only downside I can think of is more oil = more time to heat up oil.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
The only downside I can think of is more oil = more time to heat up oil.

Cheers,

Paul

Yeah I can see that. But what is your consideration of the possibility of loss oil pressure?
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

I have the shorter version of this filter, the one used by Denzel. If I can ever finish my engine, I'll definitely collect oil pressure data. My fear is that at some RPM level, some part of the filter system will a choke point, and oil pressure will take a dive.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Yes me too. I have the shorter version too. Installed on my '67 splitty bus, '65 vintage speed theme and '72 baywindow camper. But this one the longer version i got the other day, I would like to install it on my Karmann Ghia. My motive is that, aside from its filtering capability, I also intend it to be as a dry sump type that houses about 2 liters of oil, which adds to the 2 1/2 oil capacity of the stock engine. The oil sump if installed underneath my Karmann's engine is so scary. Ii may hit some bumps. I don't want to damage the engine.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Hi. The filter set-up you are looking at should be a by-pass filter. Its theory is that it takes a very small volume of oil thru a filter and return the oil to the sump. Nowadays by-pass filters are available to filter smaller debris than the normal filter.
The Baldwin by-pass filter on my Bay bus has a return orifice that looks to be approx. 1mm, which is .040", in dia. That's pretty small and will not affect oil pressure in a normal engine. Remember these by-pass set-ups have been around for decades. You can research current by-pass filtering at www.bobistheoilguy.com where they have a dedicated section for this.
The original 356/912 filter housings held about 1/2 to 3/4 qt, as I recall. With the larger housing I'd be more concerned with having a strong mounting vs any additional oil taking longer to warm up.
Just make sure the return orifice is small enough so as not to rob the engine of needed oil volume.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

As far as I can see, the oil bypasses the filter, and goes back into the engine. It should not be any amount of oil in the filter, except for the oil passing through.
So the size of the filter should not affect the amount of oil the engine need.
A little amount of oil will be in the filter and pressure side hose, but if you check the oil regularly, and keep it in the upper half on the stick, I see no problem.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. The filter set-up you are looking at should be a by-pass filter. Its theory is that it takes a very small volume of oil thru a filter and return the oil to the sump. Nowadays by-pass filters are available to filter smaller debris than the normal filter.
The Baldwin by-pass filter on my Bay bus has a return orifice that looks to be approx. 1mm, which is .040", in dia. That's pretty small and will not affect oil pressure in a normal engine. Remember these by-pass set-ups have been around for decades. You can research current by-pass filtering at www.bobistheoilguy.com where they have a dedicated section for this.
The original 356/912 filter housings held about 1/2 to 3/4 qt, as I recall. With the larger housing I'd be more concerned with having a strong mounting vs any additional oil taking longer to warm up.
Just make sure the return orifice is small enough so as not to rob the engine of needed oil volume.
Hope this helps, Bill.

I have been out for a while on theSamba. Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for that sound advice. I checked the outlet hole and it is so small that no needed oil pressure will be wasted!.

Thanks again!
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
As far as I can see, the oil bypasses the filter, and goes back into the engine. It should not be any amount of oil in the filter, except for the oil passing through.
So the size of the filter should not affect the amount of oil the engine need.
A little amount of oil will be in the filter and pressure side hose, but if you check the oil regularly, and keep it in the upper half on the stick, I see no problem.

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, thanks for that one!
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

By the way, this is the bigger remote filter that I am referring to that I installed on my Karmann ghia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was thinking of using the bigger one for extra oil capacity.

This was the NOS Fram Filter that I just opened.

After opening the NOS Fram Filter, a NOS instructional manual appeared.

These are the fittings I bought from a nearby hydraulic machine shop.

The small hole on the base of the alternator stand is utilized for the return of the filtered oil to the engine from the Fram.

I painted the Kadron's air cleaners to give them a fresh look.

This is the fuel line that I made. I patterned it from the original fuel line of Kardon to give it a vintage appeal.

After fabricating the brackets, I applied some paint.

I also used this vintage fuel filter for the engine to have a vintage style.

The junction of the fuel line on a closer look.

I also installed an external NOS Fram oil filter. At first I used my extra small canister.

But, later on, I installed this bigger Fram Filter. So also, the hose I first bought were old and they blew off. Hence, I went to the hydraulic machine shop and asked then to make me a new steel braided high-pressure hoses that worked pretty well.

Thanks.
'67 Splitty Bus
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

That's a really neat setup!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:

The small hole on the base of the alternator stand is utilized for the return of the filtered oil to the engine from the Fram.

Is this how others have installed the bypass filters? I have to say I'm not a fan of having an open pressurized oil line dumping back into the sump. I would want to see it plumbed back into the pressure side of the system. In fact, I just sold a few 912 engines, and I'm pretty sure they return oil back to the top rear of the case, near the rear main bearing. Dumping into the sump has the potential to lower your oil pressure, especially during borderline situations (hot idle) when you need it.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

I would think returning oil to the 1/2 side of the case near the cam oil galleys would be a nice way to go, maybe like an external HVX channel?

Sure beats crossing your fingers and drilling though 12" of magnesium Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
That's a really neat setup!

Thanks buddy.
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

esde wrote:
DONGKG wrote:

Is this how others have installed the bypass filters? I have to say I'm not a fan of having an open pressurized oil line dumping back into the sump. I would want to see it plumbed back into the pressure side of the system. In fact, I just sold a few 912 engines, and I'm pretty sure they return oil back to the top rear of the case, near the rear main bearing. Dumping into the sump has the potential to lower your oil pressure, especially during borderline situations (hot idle) when you need it.

For now that is the most practical route for the oil going bacj to the engine. Thanks for the inputs.
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fram Tractor Vintage Filter Reply with quote

Though this had been made about a year ago. Nevertheless it is worth sharing. I also fabricated an oil cooler in a vintage speed theme.

The tube that will be used to mimic the okrasa style oil cooler.

A little of twisting and all, there you have it, a spiral-like tubing.

I welded the swivel elbow fittings for the braided hose.

A view from the outside looking into the back of the engine with the spiral tubing hidden from the prying eyes.

the hose on the left is coming from the Fram canister oil filter and the hose on the right is where the cooled oil passes back to the engine.

The return. It is quite awesome because once the engine is in its normal operating temperature, touching the tubing on the left reveals that the oils is hotter and when you touch the tube on the right it is immediately noticeable how the temperature dropped dramatically. It work!
'67 Splitty Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: