Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with distributors.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

So..my replacement distributor came in the mail today for the 72 super autostick I am trying to finish up. It is a 113-905-205 AM distributor, which was for non-US 1972 autosticks.

I thought I might provide a small tutorial given the opportunity, since occasionally a post pops up on here about someone concerned that their distributor rotor isn't pointing correctly when they install the distributor, and is worried that their timing will be way off. There could be a few reasons for this and a similar situation has happened to me here, but I want to show that it doesn't matter as long as you compensate for it.

First off, I set my pulley to 0 TDC and ensured I was on TDC for cylinder #1 by visually checking the rockers:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was kind of hard to tell from the angle I took the photo, so I drew a red line to show #1 intake and exhaust-- and #2 intake-- closed, with #2 exhaust open. This is correct valve positioning for #1 TDC.

With the pulley at #1 TDC, looking down the distributor shaft hole I can see that the drive gear is aligned properly, with the "slot" between the dog ears perpindicular to the case (well it's not perfectly perpindicular but close enough):

And the smaller dog-eared side is to the back of the car, this is correct.

NOTE: Lots of times when a "distributor-clocked-wrong" thread pops up on here, it's because someone inserted the drive gear wrong, where this slot is angled in some crazy direction, so the distributor shaft (and consequently the rotor) end up pointing somewhere weird--in fact I almost blamed Zundfolge for inserting my drive gear wrong until i realized it's correct. Very Happy The point is it doesn't matter- same principle applies as you read on.

When I install the new distributor I received, check it out-- with the distributor fully installed (shaft all the way down in the hole fully meshed with the drive gear), the rotor is pointing 180° out of alignment!:

Confused How could this happen one might ask? Well I am no distributor assembly guru, but since everything else lines up, I can only assume that somehow the distributor shaft is somehow installed 180° wrong on the distributor I got. Again though, the point of this writeup is to show that IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Anyway, because the shaft is 180° off, when I install the distributor cap the rotor is pointing to the cap connector with the red arrow, which is exactly opposite of where it should be pointing:

But all I have to do is connect #1 spark plug to THAT connector, instead of the one opposite, and then go around the cap clockwise 1-4-3-2. The car will start right up and run. (Haven't gotten to that point yet but video to follow.)

So the bottom line is, everything else being equal, wherever your rotor ends up pointing when you install your distributor with the engine at #1 TDC is where you connect your #1 plug wire, and then go from there. HTH

Last edited by sb001 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

The previous owner of the distributor probably noticed that his distributor drive dog was 180 degrees out, and instead of repositioning the drive in the motor, he repositioned the distributor shaft 180 degrees to match. I guess he didn't want to put his number 1 spark plug wire in the number 3 spot on the distributor cap.

My distributor is 180 degrees out, but I simply rearrange the plug wires like Steve has shown here.

The only issue with this fix is when you go to sell your car, you should inform the new owner that the distributor is 180 degrees out. He--like me, for instance--may have been away from VW's for twenty years, and when you go to adjust your valves, using the rotor-pointing-to-the-notch-on-the-edge-of-the-distributor-method--even though you also lined up your crank pulley TDC mark--you're actually at your number three at TDC, instead of number one. This makes for a lousy valve adjustment Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I would just remove the dog from the bottom of the distributor and flip it 180* so that the rotor points to the correct place and you don't stretch your wires. A lot easier to do than much of what you've already done!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I would just remove the dog from the bottom of the distributor and flip it 180* so that the rotor points to the correct place and you don't stretch your wires. A lot easier to do than much of what you've already done!

Well the main point of the writeup was just to show that it doesn't matter.

That said, how is the dog held in place at the bottom of the shaft? I'll be happy to do this, didn't realize it could simply be taken off and repositioned.

*No distributor assembly guru remember!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

It is easy to swap the drive on the bottom of the distributor. Tools need are patients first. Then a pick tool to get the circle spring removal started, a decent vice to hold the distributor while driving out the pin that hold the gear dog on. Just make sure that you do not put it on the same way you took it off.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I was in the same boat flipped the bottom of the dizzy drive and all is good.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Lookin good, its a little more involved to switch the dog around. Tools needed
Bench vise, a punch or drift, small pick, scribe. I'll post up some photos too.

Here's what I got in a pile of parts for free the other day the procedure is same.

Hook the end of spring and walk it off without deforming it

Marked position of dog we are going to rotate 180 and reinstall pin

The correct size punch oh shit its not harbor freight.

So tap the pin out turn 180 reinstall pin and spring. Be careful using the vise it would be easy to deform the aluminum body if you get carried away. If pin doesn't move try hitting from other side. A little oil might be good idea too.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I bet that distributor has a 3* retard on #3... which is now #1.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

In my previous post, I apparently called the drive in the motor a "drive dog", whereas, you guys call the distributor shaft a drive dog.

Either way, I won't take out the distributor "drive" (that part which sits inside the engine) until I take my engine apart for a rebuild--which I hope will be many moons from now. Until then, I just rearranged my plug wires. None of them "stretched" when placing them, after all, and the engine runs fine as it is.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
In my previous post, I apparently called the drive in the motor a "drive dog", whereas, you guys call the distributor shaft a drive dog.

Either way, I won't take out the distributor "drive" (that part which sits inside the engine) until I take my engine apart for a rebuild--which I hope will be many moons from now. Until then, I just rearranged my plug wires. None of them "stretched" when placing them, after all, and the engine runs fine as it is.

Tim

You say tomato I say tomato, you potato I say potato, lets call the whole thing off Very Happy seriously though some of the old manuals refer to that as dog on end of distributor while gear meshes with that brass gear on the crankshaft.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

sb001 - Nice tutorial on a common issue that perplexes many new VW owners. Your pics clearly explain what happens when one either incorrectly install the dist drive gear or the dist drive dog at the base of the dist. thanks for that.

Zundfolge1432 - Thanks for the tutorial on correcting the dist drive dog. I have done this on one of my dists that was incorrect.
I do disagree with one bit of advice that you indicated in the last pic. It's not a good idea to clamp an aluminum dist body in a vice. I know, you warned of the dangers. I can't find the pic that either Glenn of tsab posted of the method they use to drive the pin out of the drive dog. But it's best to rest the teeth of the gear against the anvil portion of the vice and drive the pin out while supporting the body from below with a block of wood. That way there's no chance that the dist body gets deformed from over zealous vice users.
Oh and I don't think HF sells that 5/32" drift punch Very Happy

Thank you both for a useful post that will help future users.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Zundfolge thanks for the writeup on how to swap the dog around- I might try that. For right now I just installed the plug wires as mentioned earlier, with #1 wire being to the far left and then 1-4-3-2 around clockwise and it fires right up!

Link

I still have a bit of buttoning up left to do but it runs great!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Over on my distributor rebuild thread I posted a photo I found on TheSamba.

Just line the rotor up with the notch on the distributor pointing to #1. That's what the picture shows.

When you try and take off the drive dog do not put the aluminum part of the distributor in the vise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I bet that distributor has a 3* retard on #3... which is now #1.

This is a good point that I had not thought of. May have to consider doing the drive dog change after all...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
When you try and take off the drive dog do not put the aluminum part of the distributor in the vise.

As with many other things on this car and life in general the saying goes
"If it don't fit don't force it". Common sense and a deft feel for the limitations of the material you are working with go a long way in being a successful mechanic. I don't do a lot of distributor work but have never ruined one doing as shown above. You could fashion a cradle which would support the entire distributor in a horizontal position. Leave a small opening beneath the pin. I'd still use a vise to hold the cradle. Perhaps the folks that do this type of work on a regular basis will share their knowledge with us all. Patience and common sense, try that first Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
"If it don't fit don't force it". Common sense and a deft feel for the limitations of the material you are working with go a long way in being a successful mechanic.

Yes.. experience is key. Because you need to know when to "not force it' and when to get a "bigger hammer".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
"If it don't fit don't force it". Common sense and a deft feel for the limitations of the material you are working with go a long way in being a successful mechanic.

Yes.. experience is key. Because you need to know when to "not force it' and when to get a "bigger hammer".

After having done thousands of these would you care to show your method of pin extraction? Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

After having done thousands of these would you care to show your method of pin extraction? Very Happy

Zund, we both no there's no big secret in removing the pin. Confused A correct size drift and hammer while holding the drive dog in a vise or resting against a vise will quickly remove the pin.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
A correct size drift and hammer while holding the drive dog in a vise or resting against a vise will quickly remove the pin.

Not always... i've had some that needed a good amount of heat and a BFH.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I was thinking that someone somewhere had fabricated a holding device or fixture to really hold it in place. Being as I can't tighten the vise real tight to avoid crushing the body. The old steel bodies are more forgiving than aluminum, just wondering. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: