Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fun with distributors.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I've rebuilt over 2500 and never had a problem with the exception of 3 that were so frozen, I had to sacrifice the drive dog to get it apart.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I was thinking that someone somewhere had fabricated a holding device or fixture to really hold it in place. Being as I can't tighten the vise real tight to avoid crushing the body. The old steel bodies are more forgiving than aluminum, just wondering. Very Happy

There's a picture somewhere of a wooden jig that you lay the body of the distributor on. The drive dog tabs resting on the side of the vises flat surface. You then drive out the pin with a punch.

I do the same thing but simply rest the distributor body on a 4x4 with the drive dog tangs resting on the flat portion of my vise. I've had several frozen solid distributors with the drive dogs so rusty that they were pitched into the garbage after the pins were driven out. I still was still able to drive the pins out of the badly rusted drive dogs w/out heat or press. Hopefully I don't run into one that requires heat.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Here's my strategy (as referenced earlier) the drive dogs on Bosch distributors are very hard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like Glenn, I've only had a very small handful that wouldn't come out.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

as far as correct orientation of the drive dog goes...

When rebuilding a distributor I align the rotor notch on the top of the shaft with my body. On SVA and mechanical only advance distributors the narrow end of the offset is facing me (right side). On SVDA and DVDA distributors the wide side of the drive dog offset is facing me (left side). The exceptions are the early autostick and 36 hp Beetle distributors which are aligned like the SVA distributors.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Thank you everyone this thread has become educational. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I had to drive over to Zundfolge's neck of the woods today so I stopped by and he drove the pin out and reoriented the dog. Not that it was any big deal to just swap the plug wires around the distributor cap, but since everything else is pretty much 100% correct in the engine bay I figured I'd follow suit on this as well.

I gave him the POS Chinese 009 that came on the car as payment. Razz
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Soon as we looked at it could see homemade reference marks and evidence that it was installed backwards. Geez the things people do to cover up indescretions. Very Happy going forward I think it would be easier to reinstall the drive gear than dink around with this pin.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
kawfee wrote:
When you try and take off the drive dog do not put the aluminum part of the distributor in the vise.

As with many other things on this car and life in general the saying goes
"If it don't fit don't force it". Common sense and a deft feel for the limitations of the material you are working with go a long way in being a successful mechanic. I don't do a lot of distributor work but have never ruined one doing as shown above. You could fashion a cradle which would support the entire distributor in a horizontal position. Leave a small opening beneath the pin. I'd still use a vise to hold the cradle. Perhaps the folks that do this type of work on a regular basis will share their knowledge with us all. Patience and common sense, try that first Very Happy

Yes, that was one of my more expensive VW lessons learned. Thankfully, to this site and the great people on here, I haven't had too many expensive lessons.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

sb001,

If you haven't taken it apart yet check the free play before you do. This way you will have an idea if you need to shim it further. Then once apart you can shim it.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Got a little tired of using a big hammer to drive the pin out, so I made a fixture to press the pin out with the Dake. Some scrap wood, a routed slot for the drive dog, groove for the oring, hole for the pin. Took a 3/16” punch I had, ground it down to fit and there you go. Works perfect.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Personally I rather hold the punch and use a BFH. That way the punch can't slip and go flying.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I was tought that it's not recommended to rest the distributor/ shaft housing on the surface when removing the pin. The force from hammering the pin out is transfered to the shaft and housing/ bearings. Rest the drive dog or the drive dog "teeth" on the wise. This way less or no force goes to the shaft. I usually use a big towel under the distributor house in so it doesen't move around and it also collects the pin when it comes out. A sandpag or fixture would probably be better. I've seen some clamping the teeth in the wise, probably works great but personaly I have less aim punching sideways.

I've been thinking of making a fixture out of aluminum

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I just clamp the tangs in a vise. That way you can't damage the bronze bushings.

3000+ and never a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Is the pin tapered? Or will it come out either side of the Dog? I only tried getting that drive pin out of a distributor one time many years ago. It would not budge.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

Either side.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I have probably done this 5 times on the distributor that goes in my 16 valve jetta, to replace the leaking seal so it stops bathing itself in oil. Does the air cooled distributor also have a seal that might leak, and needs replaced?
Marion, Iowa
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
I have probably done this 5 times on the distributor that goes in my 16 valve jetta, to replace the leaking seal so it stops bathing itself in oil. Does the air cooled distributor also have a seal that might leak, and needs replaced?

Other than the o-ring there are fiber washers on the mainshaft that act as seals.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

I tried clamping the drive dog in a vise as someone else does and promptly broke the housing from the hammer blow. With the press, there is no violent force put on the housing. Dont like the caveman method
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I tried clamping the drive dog in a vise as someone else does and promptly broke the housing from the hammer blow. With the press, there is no violent force put on the housing. Dont like the caveman method

3000+ and never had a problem. You must of missed and hit the housing.

So you rather put all that pressure against a bronze bushing? You know they do deform and crack with not much pressure.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fun with distributors. Reply with quote

If the bronze bushing breaks it's because of you beating on them with a hammer. The factory used a simple fixture and a hand press. That is the proper way to press fit parts together
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: