Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove #4 engine/case bolt
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Hello everyone, ive been working on pulling the engine out of my bus, was able to do everything but ive been stuck on this final case bolt for a week!!!!!!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was told to use a 17mm socket but when i tried it turned out that its wayy too small... 18mm socket wont fit either and a 19mm is too big. Question is how the hell do i get it off!?!?!

Please help me!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

that is the threaded insert to do away with the nut due to a doghouse cooler and lack of room. it appears to have slipped out of the case

2 options now

1) needle nose vise grips clamped on the barrel with all you can muster and pray it doesn't slip

2) start cutting

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Lmao!!! Damn im gonna try praying first and if it fails then ill cut it. Thanks so much. U saved me a whole 3 days of anger management haha
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

We have tried the 17mm socket with 6" extension from over the clutch arm, correct? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
We have tried the 17mm socket with 6" extension from over the clutch arm, correct? Cool

what good what that do him seeing it's a round barrel pressed into the case? there is no nut/hex head on that side

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

That looks like an insert. Put a pair of vise grips on it. The bolt is on the trans side under the bus.
Good luck
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

I'm not entirely certain the OP knows that a bolt threads into that insert from the underside of the bus. Many folks who work on earlier VWs and PO'd setups don't even try for the bolt; they just go straight for a 17mm wrench behind the fan shroud "because that's the way we've always done it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Ah that explains why the 17mm didn't work. So i have to secure the vice grips on the case bolt and then undo it from the transmission/backside???
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

yup

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:
Ah that explains why the 17mm didn't work. So i have to secure the vice grips on the case bolt and then undo it from the transmission/backside???

You only need to secure your case insert if it spins while you loosen the bolt that is above the transaxle clutch arm. Cool

To be clear, the bolt is inserted here, and threads into what your first picture shows. See the clutch arm in the corner for reference?

mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Alright so i secured the case nut and removed this bolt... However the case nut is still in place. I think im gonna have to pop it out with a screw driver.
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

SHIET! Pulled the wrong out. Gotta go back and get the right bolt this time haha. Should be good after that
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Yeah that looks a little funky. 17mm head on the engine bolt. Leave the case insert in place, it stays inserted in the case for the life of the engine, unless it's stripped which would be rare.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:
SHIET! Pulled the wrong out. Gotta go back and get the right bolt this time haha. Should be good after that

Did that bolt require a 15mm wrench by any chance?, if it did you'll have to look lower and closer to the left side, directly behind the clutch lever infact.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Yea it was the wrong one, but i found the 17mm bolt. Thanks for the help everyone. Got the engine out Smile

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Matthew,
What the heck is wrong now? How many times has that engine been out since you bought the bus?

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:
Yea it was the wrong one, but i found the 17mm bolt. Thanks for the help everyone. Got the engine out Smile

Don't forget to put that 15mm bolt back into the bell housing carrier . . .
Colin
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Yup amskeptic got the 15mm bolt back...

Nothin wrong aeromech, just have to get the fuel tank/system cleaned out and ready for the Subaru engine.. Man I love that picture!!! So glad my bus has made it till now..I also got rid of that ridiculous brake switch haha.
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Just twice...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove #4 engine/case bolt Reply with quote

Subaru? Who died and left you a fortune? I thought you were a broke kid right out of high school.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: