Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bought me a westy!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

You wanted a Westy, the 2nd bus is not a Westy. The second bus also has a type 4 motor. Not sure if you know that much about them or not but but that is also a big difference. I would go for option 1.
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

I guess by reading that last article, it seems complicated, but almost there for magnaflow to make them? I looked down there yesterday, and it looks like i maybe missing more than the converter... i guess i will look around on the web to see if i can find the other stuff i am missing..
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

The Samba Classifieds has a lot of fuel injected parts for sale, so maybe there are California emissions parts available, too. It is possible to make a 2.0 into a fine running engine and have it comply (with legitimacy) with the C.A.R.B. requirements, but it will take time and money- you will be looking for emissions parts for a 39 year old ride! Laughing

Be thankful it's an iconoclastic car... because of this, there is a support community.

I would not want to be looking for correct emissions parts to faithfully restore something unpopular like a Gremlin or Pacer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

wasted youth... I like you man... LOL.. you always have some type of positive reply. I am always the person that starts to worry, when getting in to these crazy car dilemmas I get my self into!! HA HA HA
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Ah! I have properly deceived you! Give me a minute while I search out some of my negative, sarcastic or mean-spirited posts.

While you're waiting on that, here is this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6909920#6909920
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Ah! I have properly deceived you! Give me a minute while I search out some of my negative, sarcastic or mean-spirited posts.

While you're waiting on that, here is this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6909920#6909920

What? That doesn't even begin to qualify - remember...

"If a thread aint parked, it aint snarked..."

-The Moderators
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

ha ha ha... LOVE IT!! I bet all the people that have pulled the back seats out have NO CLUE what a pain in the neck that this has created for the VW purist!!
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

so I am looking through the file with TONS of receipts from the original owner, and BOY has he done a lot to the bus. (new motor in 99), brakes, tires, new paint job, tie rods, gauges, sensors, relays, etc. etc. etc... and I found numerous registration renewals for the STATE OF CALIFORNIA!, so this bus was originally registered in my state. starting from 1996 and ending in 2011. not 1 of these has anything on the "to renew, just provide" smog.... am I missing something here? I want to call the DMV, but want to get your comments before actually calling. usually on a registration renewal, every other year you get the "you need to smog" on this part of the letter. can this bus somehow be an exempt vehicle?
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Make sure you do those fuel lines asap if you're cruising it... Fire extinguisher etc.

Nice grab, good luck with it! (No help on emissions here, we scrapped our program a few years back-Yay!).
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
so I am looking through the file with TONS of receipts from the original owner, and BOY has he done a lot to the bus. (new motor in 99), brakes, tires, new paint job, tie rods, gauges, sensors, relays, etc. etc. etc... and I found numerous registration renewals for the STATE OF CALIFORNIA!, so this bus was originally registered in my state. starting from 1996 and ending in 2011. not 1 of these has anything on the "to renew, just provide" smog.... am I missing something here? I want to call the DMV, but want to get your comments before actually calling. usually on a registration renewal, every other year you get the "you need to smog" on this part of the letter. can this bus somehow be an exempt vehicle?

Nice score on the second bus!

I believe certain counties or cities are exempt from the smog requirements.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:

It could have been in 2011, but now...(from CA DMV website)

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal?

Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal
Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno
Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles Madera
Marin Merced Monterey Napa Nevada
Orange Sacramento San Benito San Francisco San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo San Mateo Santa Barbara Santa Clara Santa Cruz
Shasta Solano Stanislaus Sutter Tehama
Tulare Ventura Yolo Yuba
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

yeah... I figured it would be a 1 in a million chance this bus was exempted, but had we wondering... I just need to bite the bullet and get her "smog worthy"...
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Well, it won't matter if it was somehow exempt in the past, because you would like to get it registered in Fresno County... so it will need to pass a smog check.
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

so I had to call DMV... just to see what was the story on the bus.. last registered in California in 2015. last smogged was 11 years ago... she said it must of been in a county where it was not necessary to smog... (how convenient...) 420 dollars to get her up to date on registration pending a smog verification... WOMP WOMP.... well folks... Im on a one way train to smogsville!! Confused and thanks to wasted youth, I am hoping that I will not have to try to sort this rats nest blindly!! let the good times roll....
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

There is a way around the delinquent fees...."Collector status". This topic has come up several time on this site or just search "collector" on the dmv.ca.gov site.
Briefly (from memory) - if the car is over 25 (?) years old and the model is no longer made then it qualifies. You then state you are a "collector". There is no requirement as to what a collector is other than yor own statement. All back fees are waived for "collector" vehicles. Go to DMV armed with copies of the pertinent parts of the Calif Vehicle Code and a real pleasant attitude. It has and can be done....just may need to be gently assertive.

And have you posted a picture of the engine so the T4 smog pros here can see what you actually have?
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

I am going to pull it out tonight and giver her a NICE bath... she was under a tree in beautiful Lake Tahoe, and has some sap and some dirt and pine needles on her... I will take plenty of pics tonight of the engine bay, and pretty much all of the bus you guys haven't seen in the pictures I provided in the beginning...
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Was it registered in Nevada? If so, that might explain the fees... there used to be something called an impact fee, or some such thing. It was an additional fee assessed when bringing in a car from out of state. Tie that in with your title transfer and 2017 fees and I could easily see a cost that high.

You might be able to avoid that as a Collector, or Antique or something like that, but do your research. My brother has his Vietnam era US Army deuce and a half registered that way, but he is prohibited from transporting loads and has a very restrictive annual mileage that it can be driven. Not sure how the state could possibly monitor this, but whatever.

Still on target to meet up with you this evening, provided the railroad has their shit together... an uncommon occourence. Razz
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Two different things here. "Collector" status as the owner is different that "Antique/vintage" registration on a car. The "antique" registration status has many restrictions as your brother found out. The "collector" classification is a nice one-time way to get back fees waived.
Wasted youth wrote:

You might be able to avoid that as a Collector, or Antique or something like that, but do your research. My brother has his Vietnam era US Army deuce and a half registered that way, but he is prohibited from transporting loads and has a very restrictive annual mileage that it can be driven. Not sure how the state could possibly monitor this, but whatever.

Still on target to meet up with you this evening, provided the railroad has their shit together... an uncommon occourence. Razz

STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

NICE MAN!! cant wait to meet ya... if you work at BNSF, you are a stones throw way from my house... I don't think its a California to Nevada transfer fee.. Its a bye bye California hello Nevada type of fee.. he just didn't tell DMV California that he transfered registration to Nevada, and its just collecting fees from 2015.... if I was to move to Nevada, I would most likely pay 15 transfer fee and move on with life... LOL
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: bought me a westy!! Reply with quote

Ah, okay... sounds like Collector might be an alternative. Cool

Regardless, this plot line is another example of why DMV paperwork is SO IMPORTANT. Seems like we frequently deal with this problem, in varying flavors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: