Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic Ignition
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

I left my interior light on and it drained my battery...i was in a hurry right now while I was trying to jump my bus, I got the bus started and when I was removing the jumper cables I touched the 2 cables together and now my bus won't start and the battery won't charge

I replaced the alternator and installed a flame thrower distributor with a bosch blue coil around a year ago, everything was fine until I left the interior light on and touched the jumper cables together...

I'm thinking I fried the electronic ignition module...sound about right?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

Confirm that by checking for spark at the plugs, not guessing.

It's possible the alternator diodes got fried but a quick touch shouldn't have done that.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

I can't get it jump started now to check for spark, just enough juice to run the fuel pump even with jumper cables connected...i have an automatic trans so push sttarting is out of the question...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

Clean the battery connections.
Remove the battery and have it tested at an auto parts store.
Good luck
Tcash
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

Fix known problems first. Get the battery on a charger and once it is fully charged you can troubleshoot the no start issue. (your alternator is not designed to charge a completely dead battery)

Some folks report a no start issue when the electronic module does not get a full 12v.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Reply with quote

IIRC the threshold voltage for the pertronix unit is 9.5 volts. If your battery is weak and grounds are bad, voltage can easily drop below this while cranking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: